It's over!

Posted by: steveg

It's over! - 04/19/13 05:59 PM

Finally. He's in custody — alive.

My daughter in Boston had called and was telling me what an insane day it's been and that the command center for all the agencies involved was in the parking lot of the Home Depot where she works. Literally seconds after we hung up, they captured him. Phew!
Posted by: Lea

Re: It's over! - 04/19/13 06:29 PM

All's well that fkn' ends. Little Sister and I agreed ~ Better that sanctioned law enforcement nails this guy than . . .

Just hope that Boston can breathe again.

LL
Posted by: DLC

Re: It's over! - 04/19/13 06:39 PM

GREAT News... grin and he's alive so maybe we can learn something from this to prevent future ones.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: It's over! - 04/19/13 07:09 PM

+1
Nice to know that
"the system" still works
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: It's over! - 04/19/13 07:47 PM

I watched the whole thing on NBC. I'm glad they caught him alive. Now the political shˇt hits the fan. No Miranda rights. No civil court trial. Idiots.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: It's over! - 04/19/13 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
I watched the whole thing on NBC. I'm glad they caught him alive. Now the political shˇt hits the fan. No Miranda rights. No civil court trial. Idiots.
In some situations they don't have to if they feel there may be a threat to public safety.

They can also hold him as an enemy combatant so all rights are lost anyway.
Posted by: garyW

Re: It's over! - 04/19/13 10:24 PM

Yep, it's called the Miranda Exception. The FBI can delay reading Miranda Rights temporarily to question him in order to determine if other accomplices or explosives exist as a threat to public safety. Tonight's decision to take this step was cleared by the DOJ.

Quote:
WIKI: The Miranda rule is not, however, absolute. An exception exists in cases of "public safety". This limited and case-specific exception allows certain unadvised statements (given without Miranda warnings) to be admissible into evidence at trial when they were elicited in circumstances where there was great danger to public safety.[8]

The public safety exception derives from New York v. Quarles, a case in which the Supreme Court considered the admissibility of a statement elicited by a police officer who apprehended a rape suspect who was thought to be carrying a firearm…. The rule of Miranda is not, therefore, absolute and can be a bit more elastic in cases of public safety. Under this exception, to be admissible in the government's direct case at a trial, the questioning must not be "actually compelled by police conduct which overcame his will to resist," and must be focussed and limited, involving a situation ""in which police officers ask questions reasonably prompted by a concern for the public safety."

good synopsis at ThinkProgress.

All of this is sure to make rightwing Obama haters (waterboarding & torture defenders crazy ) blow a fuse.

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: It's over! - 04/19/13 11:38 PM

Many of the facts about the events in Boston this week are still yet to be revealed, and many, we may never learn. But watching it all unfold in the media and on social networks has led me to a profoundly disturbing observation.

I keep seeing people of all ages posting "What is happening to this country?!" or "What is the world coming to?!" To these and others, I have to pose this question: to what country are you referring? Which world are you talking about?

This mythical time and place where evil never reared its head and no one ever committed acts of unfathomable horror never existed. Are you talking about Mumbai in 2008? NYC in 2001? Surely not Oklahoma in 1995? Lockerbie in 1988? And on and on...

The seeds of violent acts are not sown in waves but in drops. Every day, intolerance, neglect, and poverty stoke the flames of anger inside young men and women around the world. Every day, someone in this country doesn't get the ongoing help they need for a mental illness or can't afford their medication. Every day, there are thousands of young people whose spirits are broken by their families or their peers or their adopted countries because they are different.

The reason "What is happening to this country?!" disturbs me so much is that it implies that all of this hasn't been happening all along. It implies that we didn't KNOW it was happening all along, or that we forgot. Or ignored it.

So how does it all stop? We remain vigilant. We keep our eyes open and look out for one another.

But more importantly, we remain vigilant in times of peace and guard against the apathy that leads to atrocity. We remain vigilant in loving each other and lifting each other up and empowering one another to see love and seek help and find peace. Every day. So that we don't have to ask "what is this world coming to?"

We will already know because we were paying attention.

~anony mouse~

Re: It's over! - 04/20/13 02:38 AM

I watched this thing with equal measures of surrealism and deja vu: The former because it's my hometown and the events of the past two days were smack in the middle of my former neighborhood; The latter because it wasn't all that different in NYC some dozen years ago.

One thing about Boston... They don't get mad. They get even. wink
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: It's over! - 04/20/13 02:51 AM

Now let us see what justice will prevail now that he is caught.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: It's over! - 04/20/13 03:04 AM

Well said, Kate.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: It's over! - 04/20/13 05:18 AM

Originally Posted By: musicalmarv7
Now let us see what justice will prevail now that he is caught.
Not sure what you're getting at Jerry. Care to explain your train of thought?
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: It's over! - 04/20/13 06:04 AM

Quote:
Now the political shˇt hits the fan. No Miranda rights. No civil court trial.

Where did you hear he wasn't going to be tried in a civil court?

Re: It's over! - 04/20/13 06:14 AM

He'll be read his Miranda rights. I think the Public Safety clause expires 48 hours after the start of any questioning. It's Lil' Linseed Grahamstander who wants the enemy combatant military tribunal process. crazy

Re: It's over! - 04/20/13 08:49 AM

+1
"But more importantly, we remain vigilant in times of peace and guard against the apathy that leads to atrocity. We remain vigilant in loving each other and lifting each other up and empowering one another to see love and seek help and find peace. Every day. So that we don't have to ask "what is this world coming to?"
Posted by: carp

Re: It's over! - 04/20/13 01:03 PM

Well said Kate.

Re: It's over! - 04/20/13 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Will Be Represented By Public Defenders

Quote:
BOSTON — Federal public defenders have agreed to represent the suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings.

Miriam Conrad, the federal defender for Massachusetts, says her office expects to represent Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (joh-KHAR' tsahr-NEYE'-ehv) after he is charged.

Tsarnaev remained hospitalized Saturday after being wounded in a firefight with police Friday. His brother was killed.

Conrad says she believes Dzhokhar should have a lawyer appointed as soon as possible because there are "serious issues regarding possible interrogation."

U.S. officials said a special interrogation team for high-value suspects would question him without reading him his Miranda rights, under a public safety exception that exists to protect police and the public from immediate danger. Miranda rights include the right to remain silent and the right to have a lawyer.

Re: It's over! - 04/21/13 09:43 AM

Good that the regular process of the legal system is falling into place. I have no doubt at all that the guy is guilty and deserves whatever punishment he gets. But if we dump due process in convicting him, we might just as well just dump the Constitution, period.

Re: It's over! - 04/21/13 10:24 AM

Being that they were throwing explosive devices
at the authorities as they were fleeing
I have very little doubt that he's guilty too.

...but I also feel that he's guilty of being
a stupid kid that got sucked into this situation
through following his Big Brother.

So yeah.. 'Let the Law Take It's Course', but
I'm not ashamed to say that I'm certainly not one
of the people 'Baying For His Blood'.

~ just sayin' ~
I find the entire situation incredibly sad.

Re: It's over! - 04/21/13 05:44 PM

Interesting story and video here.

Re: It's over! - 04/21/13 10:56 PM

Just read this at HuffPo:

Quote:
The 19-year-old suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, who was seriously wounded and unable to speak, is awake and responding in writing to questions from authorities, according to a Tweets by ABC and NBC news networks.

Re: It's over! - 04/22/13 01:04 AM

Good.
If they (he and his brother) were working alone
then he has no one to protect, other than himself.
The best thing he can do is "spill his gutts"
and throw himself on the 'Mercy of the Courts'
and let the chips fall where they may.

"Good Luck, Kid...
...you're gonna' need it!"