Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 01:29 PM

Great ad!

Posted by: lanovami

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 01:50 PM

This one is going everywhere I frequent online. smile

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 01:51 PM

The argument will be that the bad guys have the modern guns, so we need the same laws to protect us from them with our own, but it is still a good talking piece.

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 01:57 PM

Sad news:

Gun Bill Background Check Amendment Fails, Other Key Provisions Follow

HuffPo

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 02:15 PM

They are cowards! All of them!
Posted by: steveg

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 03:01 PM

It most certainly do! cool

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 03:08 PM

Ah more waxing politicale. Not that I'm complaining, didn't much like the draconian politics about politics here. Ok, draconian is a strong word, I just like it.

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 03:10 PM

Now my mobile device is stuck with the word politicale as an acceptable choice. Ah the joys of autocorrect.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen

Sad news:

Gun Bill Background Check Amendment Fails, Other Key Provisions Follow

One humorous note: the amndment failed to pass even though it got a majority of votes. Wonder why it needed 60? Explanation here (spoiler: it has nothing to do with the filibuster ;-) ...

Accordingly, other amendments, from both sides, also failed:

'A number of other amendments also failed to earn the 60 votes necessary to pass: A GOP proposal including a number of changes, 52 to 48; a bipartisan amendment to stiffen penalties for “straw purchasers,” 58 to 42; a GOP-backed amendment that would have permitted “national reciprocity” of state-issued concealed carry permits, 57 to 43; a GOP plan to extend gun rights for veterans, including those deemed unable to manage their financial affairs, 56-44; and a Democratic amendment to limit the size of ammunition magazines, 54-46." [Source]

With all of that gone, one wonders what even remains of the original legislation ...
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
Now my mobile device is stuck with the word politicale as an acceptable choice. Ah the joys of autocorrect.
Settings, General, Reset, Reset Keyboard Dictionary.

Unless your phone is jail broken then you can edit the dictionary selectively.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 08:14 PM

NOT Fair....

he's carrying 30 little packets of black powder in his satchel !! laugh

Luckily he forgot his Bowie knife and hatchet or there'd really been some killings !! whistle

Posted by: Leslie

Re: Gun debate - 04/17/13 09:45 PM

If only this made sense to some senators.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Gun debate - 04/18/13 03:06 AM

Dreamer...

Re: Gun debate - 04/18/13 01:12 PM

UPDATE: 3:20 p.m. -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid formally pulled the overall gun bill from consideration shortly before 3:00 p.m., but he vowed to bring it back.

"I've spoken to the president. He and I agree that the best way to keep working toward passing a background check bill is hit a pause, and freeze the background check bill where it is," Reid said, pledging to victims of recent mass shootings that the Senate would keep trying.

"It's only a matter of time before we bring this anti-gun violence measure back to the floor for a vote," Reid said. "The stand of the Republicans is not sustainable. It's a question of how long they're going to stand firm, but it's not sustainable."
-*-*-*-*-

We are getting farther and farther away from the dates of the murders that brought the gun issue to the forefront. Will it go on so long that people will no longer care to push for laws?

The above quote is from HuffPo article.

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Gun debate - 04/18/13 06:23 PM

A few last thoughts of mine on the subject:

#1 Why does it NOT surprise me that
the Assault Weapons Ban was allowed
to expire during the reign of
. "Pinhead" & "The Shooter"?

#2 At least in MY humble opinion;
My First Amendment
A) Right to Life &
B) Freedom from Fear