Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line!

Posted by: steveg

Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 01:01 PM

Terrible!
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 01:16 PM

frown
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 01:44 PM

Horrible. I saw on Salon that they've determined the explosions were from small homemade bombs.
Posted by: Mike

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 01:46 PM

Horrible! Three bombs?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 02:12 PM

I'm choked up watching it... makes me so emotional... mad, angry, sad... despondant.

Boston Globe has some videos up...EXTREMELY GRAPHIC.

http://www.boston.com/video/viral_page/?bctid=2303147691001&pconnect_name=147584
Posted by: MrB

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 02:20 PM

Ah, man. So terrible.

All have to be related . Even the one at the library.

Dave

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 02:31 PM

The incident at the JFK may have only been a mechanical equipment fire — not related. Still much confusion.

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 02:32 PM

Information from a UN terrorist expert indicates tht from what he sees that this was more likely from a small local group more like the unibomber because the explosions were small and not so coordinated.

Incident at the library was a fire and probably not related.

Dave

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 02:35 PM

I used to work just 3 blocks up Boylston St. — in the Prudential Tower — before I moved to NYC. That part of town is always packed with people, but on Marathon day it's wall-to wall. frown

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 02:50 PM

Fox News is reporting a "person of interest" in custody.

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 03:02 PM

A "Saudi" national...

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 03:43 PM

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/au...m=SFnewyorkpost
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 03:44 PM

Is It Significant That the Boston Bombing Was On Patriot's Day?
Posted by: DLC

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 03:51 PM

Well might be a little early... not like 9-11 where the Bush administration had tons of documents on OBL that covered > 10 years of activity !!

This bombing got me to thinking... how many of these bombings/ mass shootings has been launched by left wing - progressive groups ? whistle

It might turn out to be a lone bomber like McVey or a foreign killer like Sirhan Sirhan, but these shooters and bombers tend to have a very conservative perspective.

Is this summation off base ?

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 04:00 PM

EDit: Must do research first...bbl.

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 04:10 PM

There is no one in custody. The NY Post articles is . . . a NY Post article.

These bombs were so small that it makes me pause.

I love Copley Square. I was there, staying in a hotel just a block from the first explosion more or less at this time last spring. It's a horrible horrible thing to happen.

Meanwhile, for idiocy worse than the NY Post's haste to scoop everyone and in the process outscoop itself, here's the wisdom of Alex Jones.

Why can't people be human before they're political.
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 04:16 PM

First reported fatality, an 8 year old boy.
Disgusting.

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
There is no one in custody. The NY Post articles is . . . a NY Post article.

These bombs were so small that it makes me pause.

I love Copley Square. I was there, staying in a hotel just a block from the first explosion more or less at this time last spring. It's a horrible horrible thing to happen.

Meanwhile, for idiocy worse than the NY Post's haste to scoop everyone and in the process outscoop itself, here's the wisdom of Alex Jones.

Why can't people be human before they're political.

Ya.. I see Boston Police are calling it incorrect.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 05:44 PM

Just read this on a news up to date spot but haven't checked it out. Anyone know anything about it?

UPDATE 8:35 p.m. — Via Wall Street Journal: Officials have found "FIVE additional, undetonated explosive devices in [the] Boston area."

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 06:50 PM

Tom Ridge has said this also. Five additional bombs.

As for who did this. I suppose we will have some conservatives blame it on left wingers. Also, liberals will blame right wingers. We tend to blame others .

What ever the case even if its another group, we can't blame all of those for these horrendous acts of a small group.

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 06:57 PM

UPDATE 9:40 p.m. — Via Wall Street Journal: Investigators now doubt that the five additional suspected explosive devices found were indeed bombs.

Posted by: Nana

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 07:57 PM

So was the JFK Library bombed or what?
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Nana
So was the JFK Library bombed or what?

We'll know when we know. If we've learned anything over the past decade or so, it's that first reports of anything are largely unreliable. A few more days may bring a clearer picture. In the meantime, I would take reports (news or otherwise) with a huge amount of skepticism ...

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 08:48 PM

That's true

Dave

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/15/13 09:08 PM

Not trying to point fingers but the observations just added up. I could't think of a single case where the culprits were left wing or progressive. IF there are some , someone please enlighten me. I just couldn't think of any.
Columbine, Aurora, Newton, Waco, Ruby Ridge, Gifford's AZ shooting, Va Tech, McVey, ...

There was a nut that left a bomb in Portland, OR at a MLK Day celebration earlier this year, but luckily a city worker discovered it and it was disarmed. Probably from some white supremacist ! I'm just making observations... seems they all come from extreme conservative views. crazy
Then you have GOP candidates like Sharon Angle that talk about exercising their 2nd Amendment rights if elections don't turn out like they want. And another GOP nut Ted Nugent talking about if BO gets elected he'll either be dead or in jail afterwards. WTF is with these people !!?? mad
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 03:46 AM

When will know the real truth what happened? Is every piece of news reports just a guess?

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 03:49 AM

I'm waiting for Wayne LaPierre to tell us that the only thing that can stop a bad guy with an IED is good guy with an IED. crazy

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 03:51 AM

You'll be the first to know, Marv. Boston PD or the FBI will PM you. smirk

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I'm waiting for Wayne LaPierre to tell us that the only thing that can stop a bad guy with an IED is good guy with an IED. crazy

Now why in the hell would you say something like that? What the f$$k does this bombing have with American's constitutional rights?

Dave

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 04:21 AM

The news outlets are just trying to get something out there . From what I've seen, they all have brought in their analysts. To me it seems some do have some experience in these matters. As one anchor said, back in 2000 we didn't know much about these things, now sadly, we have gone though it enough times to have experts all over the U.S.

We will get through it again. As an open society, we are ripe for these occurrences . I don't see any way to completely be devoid of such. At least , I don't want to be in that type of country. Others may want to, though.

Dave
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 04:29 AM

"And another GOP nut Ted Nugent talking about if BO gets elected he'll either be dead or in jail afterwards"

And then being too much of a wimp to go through with the deal. sick

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 04:49 AM

I'm being cynical, Dave. Chill.

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 05:41 AM

Quote:
What the f$$k does this bombing have with American's constitutional rights?

If I felt like playing devil's advocate, I could make a logical case that it has everything to do with the 2nd amendment, which guarantees the right to bear not just guns, but "arms," a category broad enough to include explosive devices. I could also argue that the arguments against gun control should logically apply to any armament, including bombs ("bombs don't kill people, people kill people," "a bomb is just a tool," etc.) Although that would ignore that there *are* comparatively heavy restrictions / regulations -- which appear to be entirely constitutional -- regarding the ownership and use of explosive devices ... which would raise the interesting question of why similar regulations and restrictions against guns wouldn't be ...

If nothing else, the suggestion that this may have some bearing on the current gun-control debate does raise some interesting questions ...

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 06:52 AM

I wasn't being cynical

Dave

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 06:59 AM

I think the likely hood that the bombing has a direct or indirect connection to the gun control debate is slim.

I cant remember when the anyone has indicated that exploding bombs in a public venue is supported by any amendment. Where did you get this?

Let's just find the people who did this and prosecute them. No matter who they may be they don't belong in the gun control debate.

Dave

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 07:39 AM

I know you're being cynical, but it's still funny to me because that gun-nut is just crazy enough to say it !!

A little off topic, but the NRA debate over the background checks IS lunacy...
"criminals don't follow the law" - DUH ! no sheet sherlock ! so by that logic we should just do away with all laws. Speeders don't follow the law either. BUT when caught, you have something to "HANG" them on ! DUH !

"Criminals won't get background checks"- another DUH ! SO we just let them get guns easily through gun shows and internet where no background check is required. That's like saying we can't stop ALL burglaries ... so lets just leave the front door OPEN ! crazy Stupid arguments!

Sorry to digress. But this is more on topic - where do you draw the line ? automatic rifles, bombs, land mines ? According to La Piss-ant, "can't inhibit their right to defend themselves !!" sick
Posted by: garyW

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 08:03 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
I think the likely hood that the bombing has a direct or indirect connection to the gun control debate is slim.

The statement by the TeaParty says it does.

Quote:
… The Tea Party hopes and prays that unspeakable events like this will not be repeated. However, after witnessing the horrific events in Boston, it is evident that an unarmed nation should not even be a consideration.…

...An armed citizenry can help stop terrorists even before such cruel and inhumane actions like the bombing of helpless citizens take place….

...As Americans must stand our ground and say “NO!” to anything that would weaken us or take away our rights to defend ourselves, our neighbors and our country….

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 08:05 AM

I cant remember when the anyone has indicated that exploding bombs in a public venue is supported by any amendment. Where did you get this?

I can't remember that either -- where did you read such an assertion?

Quote:
Let's just find the people who did this and prosecute them. No matter who they may be they don't belong in the gun control debate.

Dave

Why not? Explosives are just as much as a "arm" as are semi-automatic weapons and therefore theoretically under the same constitutional protection. The relevance to the gun-control debate is that our society doesn't seem to have a legal / constitutional / rights problem with (comparatively) strictly regulating and restricting explosives; yet regulating other "arms," even minimally, is argued by reasonable people as being the slippery slope to totalitarianism ...

To look at it another way, in terms of the weapons-control discussion and what or what the 2nd amendment protects, what makes this crime any different from Sandy Hook, or Aurora, or Phoenix, or Columbine? What makes this not-relevant to that debate?

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 08:31 AM

Dave

I can tell you where he got "this".

The 2nd amendment guarantees you the right to bear arms.
We'll forget about the "well regulated militia" part for the moment and assume it means your average citizen.
===

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

===

DEFINITION OF "ARMS"

1. The weapons and supplies of war with which a military unit is equipped.
2. All the military forces and war equipment of a country. Often used in the plural.
3. A military force equipped for war.
4. The process of arming for war.
====

So what is the difference between a musket... a Glock... an AR-15... an IED... a Grenade... a tank.... a rocket launcher...????
Where do you draw the line?
Oh... just because it fires only bullets.. then it's "just a gun" and should be allowed?
So what is wrong with owning a Gatling gun that shoots armor piercing bullets?
Where do you draw the line? Some of us want to bring the line a little closer and get rid of weapons that we think are ... shall we say... excessive.
I don't expect this will make a light bulb go off in your mind and for you to think.."Oh... that's what they are saying!...That's not so bad after all..."
No one wants to come and take your "rights" away... that's a bunch of hype to get people all freaked out.
We just lifted the assault ban 10? years ago. When that ban was first put into affect... how come we didn't hear this outcry of rights being trampled then?

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 08:35 AM

I think that your analysis works. As I recall, Justice Scalia would not reject out of hand the idea that the 2nd Amendment applies to things like grenade or rocket launchers. He'd have to think about it if it came up in a case. He may have been speaking with tongue firmly in cheek, although he takes the "bear arms" seriously as indicating that the weapon must be carriable. But from my angle that cheek was the nether one. He meant the question seriously and intended to encourage wingnuts. After all, if the justification for the 2nd Amendment is "self protection from the government," despite Article 3, section 3's definition of treason as "levying War against them" [i. e. the US], then in the modern world backpacks with explosives or bomb vests, carriable as they are, are the weapons of choice.

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 08:36 AM

Originally Posted By: six_of_one
To look at it another way, in terms of the weapons-control discussion and what or what the 2nd amendment protects, what makes this crime any different from Sandy Hook, or Aurora, or Phoenix, or Columbine? What makes this not-relevant to that debate?

Yeah the outcome is the same ! Dead and maimed** people !! crazy

** Both physically and psychologically.

My best friend's daughter in law was a Columbine - she still has nightmares. A loud bang sends her into a panic. The effects last years, many times a lifetime. frown

Posted by: Leslie

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 09:24 AM

Quote:
Explosives are just as much as a "arm" as are semi-automatic weapons and therefore theoretically under the same constitutional protection. The relevance to the gun-control debate is that our society doesn't seem to have a legal / constitutional / rights problem with (comparatively) strictly regulating and restricting explosives; yet regulating other "arms," even minimally, is argued by reasonable people as being the slippery slope to totalitarianism ...

This is where it gets sticky and dare I say, embarrassing, for the nra etc.. Fight to the death for insane 100 round mags but anyone who talks about bombs in the same vein, is the odd person out.

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 12:39 PM

And...?

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 12:43 PM

Well, that's not where I was going. It was cynicism for cynicism's sake. This will likely take weeks or months or longer to sort out.

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Well, that's not where I was going. It was cynicism for cynicism's sake. This will likely take weeks or months or longer to sort out.

Yeah, I was right there with you and then realized there was actually a decent comparison to be made ;-)

And you're right, we likely will not have any real facts about this for some time to come -- all the media bluster now is just to fill air time ...

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 02:49 PM

I'm actually trying to tune out that noise for the short term. In a few days, more cogent info will start to emerge. But baby steps for sure.

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 03:24 PM

Lots of silliness out there. Patience is not a strong suit for the "news" people.
Posted by: carp

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 06:57 PM

Lots of silliness out there. Patience is not a strong suit for the "news" people.

They wanna be the first with the news no matter how wrong it is.

The library was an electrical fire that sounded like a bomb . Most likely started in a sub panel (circuit breakers) can exploded.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/16/13 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: carp

They wanna be the first with the news no matter how wrong it is.

and the Saudi student who was questioned, determined to be a witness and bomb victim, became the media's "likely suspect". Now that he has been completely cleared by authorities his name and address have been reported by Fox and now throughout rightwing blogosphere he will likely be harassed, if not seriously in need of a witness protection program.

Posted by: Nana

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/17/13 01:31 AM

Looters!

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/17/13 02:37 AM

I've even tuned out RM for the time being! I'm watching entertainment instead of MSNBC for the entire week. That's like a junkie going clean overnight.

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/17/13 05:47 AM

That's 2 of us Steve. Can't stand the hype!
mad

Need to get a new pair of hip waders! whistle

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/17/13 06:34 AM

I turned off the tv entirely last night and read. I usually read for a couple of hours before I go to sleep. Las night I read for 6 solid hours. Maybe I'll make that my default mode.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/19/13 01:46 AM

Yeah, probably a good idea to get off the news grid while this thing boils down. Just too many false alarms and other premature headlines floating around.

Did you guys catch this already? Alex Jones at infowars peresenting "proofs" of a false flag. It's been a while since I last stumbled across a pile of manure this huge.

I thought it has been a standard and well-known procedure to deploy US Special Forces to provide additional (counter-terrorism) security in mass happenings on US soil since at least Atlanta 1996 anyhow...

And uhm...so is every individual carrying a backpack considered automatically suspicious from now on? Not to mention having a wired handsfree headset on your ear. Count me in every time I go bicycling.

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/19/13 04:49 AM

2 Islamic brothers from Checnya.... 19 and 20 years old... 1 dead. Boston on lockdown.. transit shut down... 9,000 policemen doing a door to door...

Re: Explosions at the Boston Marathon Finish Line! - 04/19/13 05:37 AM

If this guy was able to get his hands on another car, his escape possibilities are many. Watertown Sq. is less than a half mile from a Mass Turnpike on-ramp. If he goes east, toward downtown Boston, he's minutes from Logan Airpot and the Back Bay Amtrak station. West, the rte 95/128 interchange is only a few miles away. The good news is that there are toll booths along the way. One only a mile east of Watertown. And where there are toll booths, there are toll takers and cameras. But if he were able to squeeze through, he's got north, south, and west escape routes available to him. Yeesh!