R.I.P. Annette Funicillo

Posted by: Nana

R.I.P. Annette Funicillo - 04/08/13 11:04 AM

http://www.tmz.com/2013/04/08/annette-funicello-dead-dies-mouseketeer-dead-at-70/

Annette Funicello -- the undisputed queen of the "Mickey Mouse Club" -- has died, according to Disney's official fan club Twitter. She was 70.

Funicello was a triple threat -- Mouseketeer, pop singer and bigscreen star. She was huge in the 60's with movies like "Beach Party," Bikini Beach," and "Beach Blanket Bingo."

According to "Extra," Annette had been hospitalized in Bakersfield due to complications from multiple sclerosis and had been in a coma.

Funicello disclosed in 1992 that she suffered from multiple sclerosis. She lost the ability to walk in 2004, could no longer speak by 2009 and required round-the-clock care.

Annette was bigger than Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Ryan Gosling combined. She was the fantasy -- largely because of her breasts -- of millions of teenage boys. laugh

Frankie Avalon -- who starred with Funicello in a bunch of those 60's beach movies -- tells us, "She was a very courageous gal that fought and fought and fought ... I'm devastated. I loved this gal."
Posted by: steveg

Re: R.I.P. Annette Funicillo - 04/08/13 11:21 AM

I can't say that I watched Margaret Thatcher every day when I was a kid. But the Mickey Mouse Club was always must-watch TV. frown
Posted by: Celandine

Re: R.I.P. Annette Funicillo - 04/08/13 01:19 PM

S'truth
that's the way I'll always remember her. frown

although this was her later career

sporting her signature up-swept hair-style

man, dig that crazy iPod. wink
Posted by: Pirate

Re: R.I.P. Annette Funicillo - 04/08/13 02:16 PM

I use to rush home from school to catch the mickey mouse club on the only tv channel we could get...later went to see all of the beach movies
Posted by: Celandine

Re: R.I.P. Annette Funicillo - 04/08/13 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
I use to rush home from school to catch the mickey mouse club on the only tv channel we could get...later went to see all of the beach movies

Uh Huh...

I can still feel the linoleum on my butt,
me & my chums craning our neck up to watch
the Philco cabinet model w/the enormous 12" screen.

...but I used to enjoy the adventure stories the most. smile
Posted by: MrB

Re: R.I.P. Annette Funicillo - 04/08/13 05:57 PM

Same here. I use to watch it just for a glimpse of her. And had not much to do with her breasts, it was her whole demeanor .

Then when she made those movies I was so disappointed. Other actresses on her films were better looking and she came off as being ... I can't think of the correct term. Not with it enough

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: R.I.P. Annette Funicillo - 04/08/13 06:04 PM

Same here, her face and smile is what got me hooked.

Annette was supposed to represent innocence Dave; not the hip or swanky gal ! But you're right, her "beach" movies were pretty lame... but I never cared for them or all the Elvis girlie movies ! Seemed so contrived and superficial. Not to mention the acting and plots !

STILL her passing makes me pretty sad. frown

Posted by: carp

Re: R.I.P. Annette Funicillo - 04/08/13 06:17 PM

Not to mention the acting and plots

WHAT laugh you did not like Eric VonZipper and the Rats and Mice.
Posted by: MrB

Re: R.I.P. Annette Funicillo - 04/09/13 04:12 AM

Oh, she was a treasure . She suffered for quite a spell. She ad a tough time of it.

Dave
Posted by: Nana

Re: R.I.P. Annette Funicillo - 04/09/13 11:27 AM

M I CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
K E YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

M O U S EEEEEEEEEEEEEE

cry