artifacts

Posted by: garyW

artifacts - 04/07/13 01:04 PM

looking through a file drawer this morning and I came across this unusual specimen of ancient technology. What the heck do you do with this thing? laugh

Posted by: carp

Re: artifacts - 04/07/13 01:26 PM

Simply go backwards - and install all 16 Quark floppies laugh well not really floppies
Posted by: garyW

Re: artifacts - 04/07/13 02:15 PM

1.2 Mb today is just so absurd. I started my business 20 years ago with this… needed a bank loan to buy Quark, a Mac Quadra (8mb ram, 230mb hard drive), a few fonts on floppy disks which were all crazy expensive… I'll keep this installer disk as a reminder. grin
Posted by: steveg

Re: artifacts - 04/07/13 03:24 PM

Spackle knife?

Up until '04, I had a partition for Classic on my Quicksilver, and I had QXP 3, 4, and 5 on it, plus 6.5 on the OS X partition! But that same year I walked away from Quark for good.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: artifacts - 04/08/13 01:36 AM

Yeah there not even a place to stick those things anymore. I remember when I bought my blueberry iBook. Nobody thought I could get by without a floppy drive. But soon enough all computer companies started following suit and the floppy disk had a rather quick death (compared to say, faxes and the like).

Re: artifacts - 04/08/13 01:38 AM

So those (as carp said) non-floppy things as in Gary's pic are floppy disks right? So what were those older, larger and thinner black and truly floppy disks called? You know what I'm talking about right?

Re: artifacts - 04/08/13 01:43 AM

I remember my friend got one of the first PCs I can remember. I think it was a Timex. It had 2K of memory. My friend had purchased a memory pack at some expense to give it a total of 18K of memory. He was very proud of the fact that this gave his computer more power than the computers our school had just acquired. smile
Posted by: DLC

Re: artifacts - 04/08/13 10:10 AM

Might make a good skeet !! wink

(no 30 round clips please !!)
Posted by: carp

Re: artifacts - 04/08/13 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
So those (as carp said) non-floppy things as in Gary's pic are floppy disks right? So what were those older, larger and thinner black and truly floppy disks called? You know what I'm talking about right?

If I remember correctly they were the original (Floppies) 5.2 inch and something like could hold 512K worth of Data ? Later they got smaller 3.5 inch made a little thicker and could hold 1.2 mb , placed into a hard plastic shell but was still called Floppy.

Back in the 80s my work PC's all had 5.2 floppy drives with pant loads of floppies - all apps came with them <-- mind you back then the Pro-Apps was not very large files, maybe 5 megs tops if that.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: artifacts - 04/08/13 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
So what were those older, larger and thinner black and truly floppy disks called?
They were all called floppy disks because the disk inside of the case was floppy/flexible, not the case.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: artifacts - 04/08/13 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: garyW
looking through a file drawer this morning and I came across this unusual specimen of ancient technology. What the heck do you do with this thing? laugh

Don't you know better than to post a serial number?

laugh
Posted by: steveg

Re: artifacts - 04/09/13 03:27 AM

I'm not touchin' that with a floppy barge pole. blush