Dogwood Trees

Posted by: Pirate

Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 06:59 AM

Back 60 years or so when I was a kid we were allowed to go bare footed when the dogwood trees started to bloom....well.....out side my window I can see dozens of white and pink dogwoods blooming....grass is fresh green....time to take off the shoes and go bare foot, run thru the grass..pick a daffydill...
Posted by: carp

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 10:28 AM

don't stub ya toes laugh
Posted by: steveg

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 11:03 AM

Last year we had an early Spring. Temps hit high 60s - mid 70s before mid-March, and the Dogwoods and everything else just exploded overnight! This year, not even close — until today. Low 70s outta nowhere after weeks of much colder weather. I just came in from the patio where I was sacked out in just shorts soaking up some preliminary rays.

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 11:08 AM

I was sacked out in just shorts

Theres gotta be a joke in there laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 11:12 AM

Yep, finally firing the grill up today. Charcoal is ready.

Steak, marinated potatoes and veggies on skewers.

Beer.

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 11:15 AM

This was March 19 last year!

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 11:21 AM

Gotta get me a new grill. Sold my a Weber Genesis last winter. Beautiful thang, but way too much grill for my needs now. My X used to prepare multi-dish meals — even pizza — but for me, a steak, a chicken breast, a couple of burgers, or the occasional potato or veggie mashup for one (my kid doesn't care for BBQ). I'm going back to charcoal and a good ol' Weber Kettle.

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 11:22 AM

Keep looking...
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 01:32 PM

I love my charcoal Weber, 20? years old, it's maybe time for new grates but it's a tank, it will probably be in my Estate sale. laugh

I've considered getting a small gas one for convenience for when I'm in a hurry, or if I need extra grill space for company, but I've been saying that for 20 years. And one would need to have friends to have company. cry grin

I like charcoal taste better.

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 01:37 PM

Gotta get me a new grill. Sold my a Weber Genesis last winter

Posted by: Celandine

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 01:39 PM

Yup.. Dogwood is a good temperature indicator,
around here we use the Forsythia...

that's when to apply your pre-emergent crab-grass
treatment...before it ...er.... emerges laugh

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 03:25 PM

Quote:
I like charcoal taste better.
Ditto that.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/07/13 04:38 PM

I always like having fresh pineapple (right Steve ?) after eating a meal with a lot of meat. Bromelain helps the digestion !! . . . and learned recently it's anti-inflammatory on the intestines... perfectly counter balances all those jalapeños on the burger !! laugh

Got a Smoke Hollow combo - fire grill, charcoal grill and smoker. Even has a searer for the steaks. So far I love it. My son was over last week and we smoked 2 full rack of ribs, a whole chicken, and some spicy sausage ! Got that puppy smoking at 200 F and left it for 8 hours and the meat melted off the bone.

Posted by: Pirate

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/08/13 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Celandine
Yup.. Dogwood is a good temperature indicator,
around here we use the Forsythia...

that's when to apply your pre-emergent crab-grass
treatment...before it ...er.... emerges laugh

Forsythia bloomed out two weeks ago, had a big cold snap but it did not kill them, one of my favorites...next to a tiger lilly

Re: Dogwood Trees - 04/08/13 06:32 PM

Try grilling that fresh pineapple - yum.