Sears/Walmart portrait studios shuttered!

Posted by: NucleusG4

Sears/Walmart portrait studios shuttered! - 04/06/13 09:29 AM

Lot's of people out of a job... sad. Wow. And some scathing posts in the comments section.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013...s-all-locations
Posted by: steveg

Re: Sears/Walmart portrait studios shuttered! - 04/06/13 10:15 AM

Looks like to me like they didn't have much of a plan. How do you not develop a program that addresses the ubiquity of consumer digital photography?
Posted by: MrB

Re: Sears/Walmart portrait studios shuttered! - 04/06/13 11:14 AM

Exactly. Everyone on the planet planed on the consumer digital market. Why not them.

The rise in digital photography has made significant changes in all aspects of professional photography. That and the social media craze

I've been a member of a paid professional forum for years specializing in weddings and portraiture members. This forum has members who are some of the best and most well paid in those fields. Of course, I'm not in their league market wise, but I still belong in order to keep intune with the changing fads.

With the ease of entering the market that digital had allowed, I've noticed a great shift in quality of the product some "professional" photographers present to their clients. Many have put out a shingle when they haven't learned their craft, IMO. Offering product hardly better than beginning amateurs. The public, their customers, accept this as good photography , because they compare it to the crap they see on the social media. But they don't see great photography to compare with.

Some of these "professionals" have so little photoshop type skill. Simple stuff. But it's their lack of general photographic craftsmanship that is worse. Skills that need to be learned IMO.

Of course there have , also been, some outstandingly talented professionals produced.

Dave

Re: Sears/Walmart portrait studios shuttered! - 04/06/13 11:33 AM

It's Obama's Instagram's fault.
Posted by: carp

Re: Sears/Walmart portrait studios shuttered! - 04/06/13 11:51 AM

I am surprised they lasted this long .

Here they gone seasonal they open up around senior prom time. Normally a professional stand alone photo studio opens a booth in a shopping mall then closes in a few months.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Sears/Walmart portrait studios shuttered! - 04/06/13 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
I am surprised they lasted this long .

Here they gone seasonal they open up around senior prom time. Normally a professional stand alone photo studio opens a booth in a shopping mall then closes in a few months.

Doesn't matter for many GA students ... they don't have Sr proms in 5th grade !! wink

I was talking with a friend of mine in the AARP volunteer corps and we were discussing the crazy politics of Texas !! blush

He made the comment "well it's not that way in GA is it ?"

I looked him in the eye and replied "John, there a reason they filmed Deliverance in GA !!"

I thought he was going to have a stroke !! laugh
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Sears/Walmart portrait studios shuttered! - 04/07/13 03:52 AM

The sequester is in action now.To bad people losing their jobs.

Re: Sears/Walmart portrait studios shuttered! - 04/07/13 04:02 AM

Um, Marv... This is not a/b the Department of Rollback Prices or the Federal Bureau of Kenmore® & Craftsmen™. crazy
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Sears/Walmart portrait studios shuttered! - 04/07/13 06:50 AM

This could be good news for Photo Corp of America...I worked for them for 5 seasons as a traveling photographer, mostly WalMart and Kmart...PCA is still around and could easily fill the bill and even hire the CPI photographers