Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz...

Posted by: steveg

Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/04/13 11:26 AM

Well, lordy lordy! I have a client on retainer who just emailed me a pic of his immaculate 2000 ML 430 (175K miles). He was gonna put in on CraigsList, but first he called me and asked I'f I'd like to take the car in trade for two month's fee. New brakes, recently tuned & detailed. Only thing it needs is a freon charge. My garage said the freon won't be more than $220, and my insurance agent said it will barely effect my premium. It's a V8 and only gets 18 or 19 mpg — and burns premium, so it'll more than double my usual cost at the pump, but cut the frequency by almost half.

My '97 Odyssey (over 196K miles) has a broken motor mount and a front strut that's getting loose.

Gotta think it over for a couple of days, but I think I'm gonna get my very first luxury car! cool
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/04/13 11:47 AM

Be sure to tell the same client, and all other clients, that there will now be a "prestige" fee added to all billings.... cool
Posted by: MrB

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/04/13 01:41 PM

Reminds me of an incident. Back in 96 I sold my 94 Camero Z28 and bought a 1984 Towncar. It had all the bells on it ( for 1984). I drove it for three years and bought a 91 Cadilac Fleetwood. I kept the Towncar.

One night we had freezing rain so the morning drve to work was very icy streets. When I arrived at school and was talking about how bad it was out I said to my cohorts, "itwas so slick out I didn't know which to drive, my Lincoln or my Cadilac "

The other three teachers there were looking at me strange. Oneof them said. "Do you know what you just said" . These were a bunch of cheap teachers.

Both the Caddy and the Lincoln were so old that I got them cheap. But the fact that I had a Lincoln and a Cadilac sounded really off.

Dave
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/04/13 01:49 PM

It may double your gas but triple your attractive quotient.

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/04/13 01:54 PM

LOL. Just what I need... a chick magnet. Only in my case, they'd be real baby chickens. cry

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/04/13 01:57 PM

If I do buy this beast, I figure I'll drive it for a year — two at most — then sell it and go back to a smaller, high mileage car. The fact is, I need to replace the Honda soon. And remarkably, I won't be trading for much more than I paid for the Honda.
Posted by: garyW

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/04/13 06:19 PM

Kelly Blue Book is around $4500, so you probably figured how that compares to the retainer or not. I don't know, it's 13-years old with 175K …. it will need repairs because stuff wears out …. and Mercedes part are crazy expensive. Been there, done that.

A while back I leased my Audi A4 …. what was really nice about that deal is the upkeep was tires and brakes. Everything else was covered. Free oil changes, maintenace and repairs. The lease becomes a business expense so its a write-off …. might be worth looking into. New cars are like crack. grin

Posted by: carp

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/04/13 06:52 PM

Just don't let your clients see you driving that - they will think their paying you to much laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/04/13 11:30 PM

Sounds pretty cool, but just preprepared put more into the AC. If an air-conditioner needs a freon charge that's because there is a leak somewhere. A healthy AC system will never leak. My guess is AC work on a Mercedes would be out of sight.

I would take it somewhere and get a diagnosis of the AC, before you commit to it. Might be something as simple as a hose, but I doubt it. Usually the compressor, that's the moving part.

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/05/13 02:40 AM

I was looking at other used cars and small new cars like Chevy's Spark and the Ford Fiesta. My plan — if I buy this thing — is to only keep it for one or two years and then sell it. What I'll be paying at the pump is gonna be a killer, but I drive less than 9000 miles a year, so it'll be sustainable for the short term.

My Honda has a broken engine mount that used to bolt to the transmission case. Now there's a hole in the case where the bolt broke, and because the motor sort of flops around now, I have to drive very gently. The only fix is a new transmission — for $3k! Then there's the driver's side power window motor that's starting to fail, and a bad ABS pump. So at the end of the day, the Benz ain't such a bad deal for a short term replacement. Then I might lease again (my Jeep and X's Cavaliers were both leases).

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/05/13 03:57 AM

Trust me, I have no illusions a/b maintenance costs. But I do know that the car has been lovingly maintained, and I've ridden in it a few times. The guy also owns a small plane, which requires an almost anal compulsive attitude towards maintenance. He's the kind of nut that will have the whole car detailed if one of his kids drops a french fry in the back seat! laugh

As far as the A/C is concerned, my Honda has a bad compressor and I didn't use the A/C once last summer — and I survived. Open the windows and sun roof and enjoy the fresh air (the Benz has a sun roof, too).

Something like a 4-7 year old Malibu or Taurus or Pathfinder will cost a/b the same as this Benz, so why not get a little snob appeal in the bargain? grin

Will decide by mid-next week.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/05/13 06:04 AM

Figure out if the MB a/c has R-12 or 134A freon, it is hard to find R-12 anymore and if you do it is very expensive. Hoses may look ok bu they go bad from the inside out, open the system since it is not charged and check the fluid...if it has black specks or is black at all hoses will need to be changed along with the compressor, condenser and evaporator...just got a quote for a 75 Pontiac to replace A/c...4 grand...could almost buy an aftermarket unit installed for that

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/05/13 06:43 AM

Good points and among other questions I'll be asking him over the weekend. As I've said, if I can get a year out of it and then sell or trade it, I'll be satisfied. But I still need more info before I take the offer.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/05/13 08:47 AM

In my opinion, I think this is a great deal. These cars last forever, from what I've heard if they have been maintained which this one has. You will enjoy the heck out of it. As for the mileage, with you only driving 9000 per, this shouldn't be too much of a problem IMO.

Have fun

Dave
Posted by: Nana

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/05/13 08:55 AM

Don't think about it. Just go for it!!!!!!

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!
Posted by: Nana

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/05/13 09:07 AM

2 years ago, my AC went POOF! I got a charge.
Last year (spring) my AC went POOF again. WTF? Took my car (Ford) to the dealership. They kept it overnight & did the dye test thingie. I had a leak in the compressor. They could fix it for $800 since I am a regular customer. I asked why they couldn't just plug up the leak or put some duct tape over it? Everyone in the shop including the male customers -->

This will be my 2nd summer of riding around with the windows down. mad

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/05/13 05:49 PM

The guy also owns a small plane, which requires an almost anal compulsive attitude towards maintenance.

Much of which is FAA rules - but yes unlike a car anything fails usually means death, so you always have one eye focused on maintenance.

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/10/13 02:40 AM

So much for trust. smirk

When my client proposed this deal to me last week, he told me that he was sending an email a/b the car to his list, but that he wanted to give me first right of refusal before he entertained any other offers. Monday we discussed how to do the deal without making the accountants nervous, and he suggested that I take the car for the weekend so I could have my mechanic check it out. So yesterday I made an appointment with my guy for a used car inspection, and in the course of that conversation, he, knowing the Honda's service history and condition, said he'd buy it to part out — or take it in trade against any work that the Benz might need. The deal is getting even sweeter!

Then last night, my client calls to tell me that one of his salesmen wants the Benz. He tells me the guy was away all week and only just saw the email. I reminded him that he promised me first right of refusal. "Well, this is an employee, y'know, so how can I say no?" was is response. Gee. What a guy!

He said he'd confirm one way or the other today, but after that stunt, I'm no longer interested — even if his employee changes his mind.

He's a good client in that he always pays his bills on time. But he is a moving target — constantly changing direction and contradicting himself — so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And at least now I can go back to looking for basic transportation. Meh...
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/10/13 05:13 AM

Now you can get that new bike!

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/10/13 10:38 AM

Wasn't meant to be.
But you did look like Brad Pitt for a few minutes.
wink

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/10/13 11:25 AM

You mean Brad's pits. wink
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/10/13 03:08 PM

Too bad.. probably for the best.

Made me think of this song...

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/10/13 03:15 PM

Yeah, but read my post about Payback (at the end). Heh heh heh...

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/12/13 09:48 AM

Oooooo MOMMY! Just got back from Cinci w/the Benz, and have an inspection appointment in an hour. Barring any bad news from my mechanic, I'm gonna do this. A few nicks and scratches on the outside and the same inside, and it will need a thorough interior cleaning (he has young kids). But the ride and handling are superb. Smooth, powerful, most awesome! Nary a rattle or a squeak.

But having once paid dearly for not heeding a mechanic's advice to not buy a car that he inspected for me, I will not close this deal if advised not to.

Film at 11. wink

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/12/13 12:35 PM

Done deal! cool

Mechanic said it's one of the best maintained ML 430s he's seen. Needs a wee bit of freon and it's about due for an oil change. Otherwise, it's in great shape. WEEEEEE!
Posted by: DLC

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/12/13 02:00 PM

HOLD OUT for the Freon and Oil !! laugh

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/12/13 03:26 PM

Mazel tov!
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/12/13 04:54 PM

Single guy in a Mercedes Benz...the girls better watch out smile
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/12/13 05:48 PM

Okay I see now, that's an SUV kind of thing, not bad. cool

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/12/13 06:04 PM

Michele just pulled up a picture of your "new" mercedes!
Sweet.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/12/13 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot

YES and he'll have all those phosphorescent lights on from one of his client so he'll even glow in the dark !! blush

Oh man !! grin
Posted by: garyW

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/12/13 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Okay I see now, that's an SUV kind of thing, not bad. cool

The Popemobile! Cool beans! I'm pretty sure he works on retainer too. laugh

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/12/13 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot

Ahh NO hot chics are going green - old Mercs are not the fab.

Steve G needs this - other wise back to senior dating.com laugh like me.

Re: Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz... - 04/13/13 03:29 AM

Yah, well my daughters think it's pretty cool. :p

Fact is, I don't plan to keep this car for more than a year or two. I only average a/b 8k miles/yr, so it'll make for a decent trade-in on a smaller, more basic ride later on. Or, if I'm back in Boston within that time, I'll probably just sign it over to my oldest. Good chance she and her hubby will have started a family by then, and this would be a perfect addition.