It's been ten years

Posted by: MrB

It's been ten years - 04/02/13 11:42 AM

Back in ought three, I had been living here for three years, jus 15 miles from my old high school. It was the year of my 40 year high school class graduation . I waited until a month before to contact a couple of my classmates living in the area to find out what they had planned for our reunion. I discovered neither of them had done Zip ( sorry for the double negative). Both told me, " Dave, you do it" . Well, crap, that was the exact thing I was trying to avoid.

Now it's time for our fifty year reunion. Traditionally, this is the big one for our school. Our alumni association has a banquet for all alumni every year. We have a small school with each class being around 20-25 grads, so the attendance at the banquet is around 200 or less each year. They give extra attention to the grads of years of multiples of five and especially ten. But the fifty is the big one. After that we really start dying off.

I know that I'm going to be stuck with it and I'm not good at these sort of things.

What most fifties do is have a gathering of just us on Saturday as a picnic then gather as a group for the big banquet. The "big" banquet is not formal . We dress casually and have a catered buffet line with a speaker and some entertainment.

But last time I spent hours on the phone trying to find my classmates. Even though we only had 21 in my class and I know at least three have passed on. But I've lost that information.

Just lamenting here.

Dave
Posted by: lanovami

Re: It's been ten years - 04/02/13 03:39 PM

Wonder why it falls to you? My twentieth slipped by a few years ago. Through the efforts if one soccer mom type almost everyone was on Facebook - so it was easy. She asked me by FB of course to make the first call because I live the furthest away. I said don't make any plans around me. The thing went forward and I got the low down from a friend who still lives in the area.

If you think it's more trouble than its worth, call someone you think is at least somewhat motivated and politely tell them you don't really want to do it and if they want to see it go forward they should get a move on or maybe they can find someone else.

Just a thought.
Posted by: steveg

Re: It's been ten years - 04/02/13 03:58 PM

I missed my 30th (Cherry Hill, NJ). Scary to think my 50th is in just 4 years! eek
Posted by: DLC

Re: It's been ten years - 04/02/13 04:38 PM

Post a notice on YouTube and Face Book and let them sort it out ! wink

Congrats !!

My 50th is in 2016 ! smile
Posted by: carp

Re: It's been ten years - 04/02/13 08:03 PM

Yeah its a big job with all that planning - Our school the kids did it via a comity of say 12 kids , they diviid up the responsibility.

However our first 10 year was in Vegas <- wtf ? So I could not go.

Our 20 year was in Vegas again <- wtf ? So I could not go.

Our 30 year was in Alaska <- wtf ? So I could not go.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: It's been ten years - 04/02/13 09:18 PM

Made me think of this. Not related to your problem but always liked this.

The words and stuff.

Posted by: Pirate

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 07:08 AM

I have not been to any of my class reunions, the first one I even knew about was the 40th, it was a show off event, see what I have, see what I have done, how great art I...funny how those we thought were going to do great things didnt, and those who were not going to amount to much did...

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 09:05 AM

THAT makes no sense - you're in Hawaii (paradise for many) and you want to go to the mainland !! crazy

Guess you want something different, but I though HS reunions always took place around the HS you attended ? I'm just too old fashioned I guess !

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 11:32 AM

It can be that for sure, but it needn't be. I haven't seen some of my classmates since I graduated. It would be nice to hear how they have been. What ever each has done is fine.

One of our group, the validictorian, went to KU and after that went to Harvard, majoring in philosophy and language studies. He settle in Toronto teaching at the university. He has been on several boards and has been published several times. Never married but living with a long time gal. No kids

One worked in kitchens of a couple of restaurants . Raised several children

Others "just" housewives.

All good.

Truth betold, this time three years ago I wouldn't give good odds on my being here for this. It's been one of my goals.

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 01:01 PM

I can't remember how many were in my class of '54 -- maybe 150 to 200. Our 60th reunion would be next year, if anyone decides to get one together. My best friend was always involved in the preparations and she died just before the 50th reunion. She was involved in the planning of that one.

They are always held in Millville, New Jersey and I have never attended one. I may consider attending the 75th -- the crowd should be pretty much thinned out by then! wink

Posted by: Pirate

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 01:03 PM

At some point in time we may be a class of one

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 01:13 PM

And I hope WE are that one!! smile smile

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 03:48 PM

Hey by then you'll be in charge of planning and you can have it in Oregon . . . AND in your living room!! wink

laugh

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 06:41 PM

Yeah thats what I thought to - Since even playing Bingo in this state is illegal , it made Vegas very popular , just not sure where they got Alaska ?

Most schools have their in a hotel ballroom that is close to the school.

I guess my class likes to travel ? Plus I guess it weeds out the undesirables .

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 07:03 PM

funny how those we thought were going to do great things didn't, and those who were not going to amount to much did...

Yeah I seen that in our class as well.

The super pretty smart girls - almost all ended up being all knocked up with many kids. I met a few of these gals who I thought would have some sort of master degrees . Nope they ended up being just housewives with 4 or more kids who really took a toll on them, they looked just ragged. Kinda sad.

On the other hand - The ugly below average girls most ended up being late bloomers , now beautiful professionals with college degrees BA or better <- I guess in school no body would date them , so no distractions ? ?

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
The super pretty smart girls - almost all ended up being all knocked up with many kids. I met a few of these gals who I thought would have some sort of master degrees . Nope they ended up being just housewives with 4 or more kids who really took a toll on them, they looked just ragged. Kinda sad.

On the other hand - The ugly below average girls most ended up being late bloomers , now beautiful professionals with college degrees BA or better <- I guess in school no body would date them , so no distractions ? ?
Sounds like you've been able to personally keep up with everyone in your class anyway so no need to go to the reunions anyway, huh?

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 07:45 PM

I went to my 20th 25th and 30th. Skipped 35 and probably this year, 40. Pretty much what I expected for the ones I went to, most everyone was from the original in-crowd. It seems most everyone there had done well for themselves.

Which is the reason they were there anyway. It was pretty much a brag-fest.

I only saw a couple of the heads I used to hang with, though many of them I have heard from over the years are doing well.

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 08:11 PM

Sounds like you've been able to personally keep up with everyone in your class anyway so no need to go to the reunions anyway, huh?

Ahh NO - just so happen to run into them , like in shopping malls. Other than that we don't even pass email addy's.

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 08:20 PM

Which is the reason they were there anyway. It was pretty much a brag-fest.

Yeah I figured as much - I mean if you are super rich or dirt poor ya not going to have anything to do with it anyway.

To be honest - if there was a classmate I wanted to follow , there is no need for a reunion for me. And really there is none.

Re: It's been ten years - 04/03/13 09:17 PM

So, my question is. Do we value how successful someone is by the amount of money he has acquired?

There was this man in Dodge City who for years was the in school suspension monitor. I'm not sure how much education he had. Only a BS. I'm sure. Couldn't have made much on the salary schedule. But he gave his time to helping the kids in his charge which changed from day to day. He was very impressive . He was six foot eight and was filled out. He was also dark as a radial tire. When he entered a room he spent five minutes shaking people's hand. You had to love him. I did. He was Johovahs Witness.

I understand when he died young, about 50, at his funeral, people were lined up outside the church for a block. He had that effect on people. Was he successful?

Dave
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: It's been ten years - 04/04/13 07:24 AM

i've successfully managed to miss every single one of my HS reunions. There's a FB page that's run by and for the class, and I joined it for a bit, but soon dropped out. The same nonsense that made HS an almost intolerable world continued to rule the roost. Who needs it? I keep on touch with only one person from my HS class, and she's great now as she was back then. That's enough for me.

Re: It's been ten years - 04/04/13 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Hey by then you'll be in charge of planning and you can have it in Oregon . . . AND in your living room!! wink

laugh

. . . and a booth at *Shari's will be our banquet site! smile

*Oops! That is an Oregon only chain of pie house/restaurants [open 24 hours].