Vacation's over.

Posted by: steveg

Vacation's over. - 04/01/13 12:33 PM

Just came down with a case of Be careful what you ask for. The first quarter was like molasses uphill in December while current clients got their 2013 marketing plans in order, and now they're all at my doorstep.

Plus I just got notified that I'm on the short list for two (or possibly three) new projects. One is a TV campaign for the Dayton RTA (the regional mass transit system). The other is a series of videos for Dayton/Montgomery County to attract more trade and sports events to the region (and possibly a rebranding assignment for the County, too).

Oy... better get my posts in before the 20-hr work days begin. shocked
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/01/13 04:54 PM

That's great for the old bank balance, Steve--congrats!
Posted by: carp

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/01/13 06:15 PM

Fantastic Steve, maybe leads to another award laugh
Posted by: DLC

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/01/13 06:31 PM

Congrats Steve, I hope you nail em... not that I don't want to see you around here buddy, but it'll sure help your career and bank book ! wink

not to mentions youse reputation ! laugh
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/01/13 07:29 PM

Are you bragging or complaining? wink
Congrats Steve.

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/01/13 07:35 PM

Steve is doing both , after all no one wants to work to earn money laugh

Speaking of which;
With todays color printers - we all should be able to (print) legally , our own moneys from home <-- talk about an (economic) stimulus laugh
Posted by: MrB

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/01/13 11:10 PM

That's terrific , Steve!

Knock Em dead.

Dave

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 03:26 AM

BOTH! laugh

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 06:12 AM

Quote:
bank balance
Balance? You slay me! shocked

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 06:30 AM

The fun part is that in every case, the FRPs were sent out to all of the established, fully-staffed ad agencies in the area. I'm the only independent on those lists. Two years ago, I won the contract for an extended multi-channel promotion for the RTA. That pissed off some of those agencies. It's pretty much the same players on the current FRPs.

One of those agencies (among Dayton's longest standing and best known) underbid me last year on very big job for a high profile multi-purpose real estate development. They were awarded the contract and blew it in the first two months. The client fired them and came back to me to take over — at my price!

I'm not winning a lot of friends among the local agencies, but screw 'em. A man's gotta eat.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 06:54 AM

Print… Money…

CARP! You're a genius!!!

I have the scanner, I have the printer, I have the ink, all I need now is the money to scan, and I'll be golden!

Genius, I tell you!

grin

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 07:00 AM

Not so fast. There's that leetle plastic stripy thang. Maybe a 3-D printer?
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 10:34 AM

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya, Steve. Sounds promising . . .

Posted by: Leslie

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 11:21 AM

I'm with Kate on this one.

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 04:45 PM

Man, you're Jack the Giant Slayer !

Well if they can't stand the heat - get outta tha kitchen !!
Hey it's a competitive world - they can "cry me a river", the big sissies !

Makes your work and performance even MORE amazing ! 1 man show is kicking their big fat azz !
No wonder you win many awards !!

Can you go to work for Hillary in 2016 ? wink
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 05:45 PM

Quote:
Can you go to work for Hillary in 2016 ?

Now THAT would be sweet!

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 06:43 PM

Sorry, I already promised Trump. shocked sick

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 06:52 PM

It's not that dramatic, really. People here haven't had the NYC experience I've had, nor have they been exposed to that kind of talent. All I'm doing is falling back on that experience. But while the work that I do in the Dayton area is way ahead of what the locals are doing and what clients expect, I couldn't get arrested at the awards shows in NYC. Gotta be realistic about it. But in the meantime, if I can use it to my advantage in this market, why hold back?

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 07:28 PM

You're just one humble dude ! wink

Mazel tov !!

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/02/13 08:37 PM

underbid me last year on very big job for a high profile multi-purpose real estate development.

I betcha that bid was intentionally low <- they were banking on making the money back via (change orders)

A contractor who built one of the restaurants in the building did something similar. He bid low to get the job and got it. 3 weeks after starting construction he asked the owner for 15,000 check that was NOT in the original contract. Then half way through the job he asked the owner for another 15,000 check , that to was not in the original contract . The owner paid them both.

So the owner was suspicious ? and then asked me if that was common construction practice ? I said absolutely not -> unless there was change orders that differer from the original contract ? Then sure its only fair you then pay for the additional cost.

The owner said there was (NO change orders) at all and thats why he was growing suspicious ? Ahhhh Ha, I had to ask , what was the next highest bid for the project ? He said about 30,000 more <--- (BINGO) you just been Jacked.

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/03/13 03:15 AM

Ah knows mah limits, dood. Like nothin' higher than the second shelf in my kitchen cabinets! laugh

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/03/13 03:33 AM

It doesn't necessarily work that way in this bidness. Most agencies — and I — bid based on a flat project fee that takes (normally) two rounds of revisions at each development stage into account. But in broader assignments that will run over several months or generate ongoing work, a monthly retainer is the preferred method. I do that with a few clients. Some months you get clobbered, other months you're getting money for nothin'. But over time it balances out.

This client merited a retainer, but needed to keep the number low to get approval. So I negotiated a monthly base based on a certain number of hours, plus an hourly rate that would kick in if the monthly hours exceeded the base by more than 10%.

Lucky me, both of my client contacts were totally unfamiliar with this kind of work and couldn't get their heads around the review and approval process. Instead of vetting the work through all the decision makers in their company and aggregating the comments in one pass — as I begged them to do repeatedly — they continually gave me feedback via the drip method. Which virtually tripled the base hours. Which caused a new CFO to try to break the contract — which was pretty silly because there was only one month to go before it ended. They paid me in full for the final month and I gave them the entire project history on a few DVDs and bid them farewell.

Five months later, I sent them a duplicate certificate for the Addy Award I won for their branding! laugh

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/03/13 09:08 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Ah knows mah limits, dood. Like nothin' higher than the second shelf in my kitchen cabinets! laugh

Yeah I hear ya and you're a clever cookie for knowing your limits ... but that 2nd shelf is 2nd from the top in a kitchen with 20' ceilings !! wink

laugh

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/03/13 12:25 PM

Quote:
but that 2nd shelf is 2nd from the top in a kitchen with 20' ceilings !!
It might as well be... cry

Re: Vacation's over. - 04/03/13 07:57 PM

Thanks, yes similar but different.

A construction bid is on a flat fee paid out in progress payments. Example project bid 100,000 = 4 progress payments of 25,000 each. <- absolutely no revisions or change orders.

Unless there is a change order . You call them (revision) - in construction when a change order happens 3 things can result;

1 - Additional cost paid to the contractor.
2 - A wash wash no cost incurred on both sides.
3 - A credit paid back to a client.

Retainer - in construction only means the fee that the client/owner holds back as finale payment until they are 100% satisfied or willing to sign off on all work.