End of an era.
Last day on the job
Posted by: steveg

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 07:30 AM

The digital age marches on, eh?

So when revenge goes digital, we'll say, "Payback's a bit!" crazy
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 08:44 AM

Yeah.. they did that a couple of years ago down here on I-95. Tried it out at the end of I-95 up through Miami... it was a success and converting the rest of my area.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 09:20 AM

For Whom the Toll Tells !! whistle

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 10:12 AM

Epidemic? eek

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 10:43 AM

George Bush Tollway in Dallas (or as we call it here - the HYW to HLLL) went all electronic 2-3 years ago ! Our Tollway 49 in Tyler has never had manned (womanned) booths- all done with a "Texas Tag". Took my son to the airport in Houston 2 months ago and we took a Toll road- my Texas Tag worked on that too... seems smart and less expensive.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 12:01 PM

"When I was a boy…"
We had a 15¢ toll on the bridge BOTH ways.
Then they shut down the northbound toll and raised the southbound to 25¢.
In the old days, it could take up to an hour just to get across the one mile span.
They use(d) pylons to create commute lanes and would move them morning and evenings.
Entering The City once you get off The Bridge was known as Death Alley.
65mph with only a plastic cone between you and oncoming traffic.

They have been upgrading Death Alley for about 3 years now, and I must say they did a hell of a job.

Toll is now $6.00 *faints*

Pretty soon all jobs will be replaced by automation. Kinda sucks…

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 12:11 PM

Quote:
Pretty soon all jobs will be replaced by automation. Kinda sucks…

And yet... isn't this the Utopia everyone always dreamt about? eek
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 02:14 PM

Sure--it's utopia, but only if you get rid of money as requirement, like on Star Trek except for those Ferengi, no one else seems to have any use for money in that series of series.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 06:34 PM

So how does it work? Does one use a credit card?

Dave

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 06:56 PM

Yes - you apply for a Texas Tag. In GA, they were called Peach Pass. They cost you $20 and you stick it inside the windshield just below the RV mirror. They have electronic sensors overhead that detect your tag and charge you the miles you've gone on the tollway. When you register for the Tag, you must also register a Credit Card number. They charge the CC $20 for fees. As you use the Tag it deducts the amount from the $20. Once you get to a balance below $5 or $10, it charges another $20 to your CC. So your Tag is always replenished. They send you a notice telling you, so it's not like they do this secretly where you can't keep track. VERY easy !

Texas Tag is good anywhere in Texas on any Toll Road. That makes it nice you don't have to have different ones for different cities. Also the rate is about 25-30% cheaper than cash ! I see signs that say (for example) "Toll to I-75 Tag $1.00, Cash $1.35 " So you actually save $ too ! grin

I don't like Toll Roads, BUT if they're privately funded or funded with special Bonds the state must repay, I can live with it. What I hate is some Legislators efforts to build them with tax $ and then charge us a Toll too. And this is a GOP Legislature - isn't that double taxation ?? mad

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 07:38 PM

And from the tinfoil hat crowd;

They can track who goes where and when. shocked

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 07:45 PM

I presume there are provisions for tourists to pay without having a prepaid tag

That would be my concern

Dave
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/27/13 09:37 PM

Are you ready?

As far as I can tell…
For people who don't have Fastrak, a camera records your license plate, and mails you a bill.
I know the majority of traffic is commuting, but there are going to be thousands of confused tourists (and natives).

This should be fun! grin

What, No Toll Stop?

GGB Tolls

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/28/13 04:19 AM

That's nothing new. This bad boy...

Is one of NYPD's most effective investigative tools. It's NYC's transit pass — the most ubiquitous possession among NY-ers. And that mag stripe records every turnstile, system-wide, at which it's swiped. So when the cops pick up a suspect who's past whereabouts they're interested in, they just pop his/her MetroCard into a reader and BOOM! Every move over the lifetime of the card is right there. My last card expired 6 years ago almost to the day, but I couldn't bring myself to throw it away, so it's been tacked to my bulletin board ever since I left Gotham. But that mag stripe still carries my travel history for my last few months in Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/28/13 04:35 AM

Back in the 1950's when the notion of Big Brother was first considered, we just rather shrugged our shoulders at the concept. Now with "security" cameras and trafic cameras along with our use of credit cards and metro cards, not to mention drones, it's not so far fetched anymore.
Then with the populace's penchant for recording with pictures and video everything they do then having these posted on social networks where others see them, make judgement then contact authorities . We're are beginning to be just pawns,

There's even been talk of implanting tattoos and devices in our heads for even more complete surveillance .

Dave

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/28/13 04:49 AM

Quote:
There's even been talk of implanting tattoos and devices in our heads for even more complete surveillance
There's also "talk" of JFK still alive and rooming with Elvis, and of Big Foot having a winter condo in Boca Raton.

C'mon, Dave...

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/28/13 10:22 AM

Maybe that won't be needed as everyone has a cellphone now along with the modern cars keep track how folks drive, maybe even where they go.

Dave

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/28/13 12:06 PM

PFFFT.. YOU GUYS HAVE IT EASY. I HAVE A MAN IN BLACK WHO SHADOWS ME EVERYWHERE I GO.....
Posted by: carp

Re: Golden Gate Bridge - No more Toll-Takers - 03/28/13 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
I presume there are provisions for tourists to pay without having a prepaid tag

That would be my concern

Dave

Well hard to (assume) that a tourist will be using a Toll ? ? He / She just might be there just for business - airport to hotel and the hotel back to airport.

Here I pay;
1 - State payroll tax.
2 - State excise tax.
3 - State Safety Inspection Fee.
4 - City car registration fee.

All my blocks covered <-- right I can drive on these roads because I pay my share.

Now tourist <- keep in mind that we are tourist related industry. When renting a car the tourist are charged an extra tax just for driving on our roads <- okay fair enough -> and its NOT that cheap either , you see and feel it.

(Double Taxing)
Now I rented a few times when my car broke down, in shop for repairs. I had to pay the same road tax as tourist when renting a car -> even after paying all my taxes to both the State and City.