Diabetes control

Posted by: MrB

Diabetes control - 03/25/13 04:23 AM

I have type two diabetes. It's controlled pretty well by my not eating sugar and with metformin. I have been getting my supplies from the local pharmacy with Medicare picking up the tab. They pay for my meter and test strips and lancets

Recently my glucose meter died so went to pharmacy to get a new one. I had had to fill out several papers and was told I will need to bring in meter every month to download my test results in order for Medicare to pay. I asked what the bill Medicare for my test strips. The gal said they bill $36 per 50 count box.

I looked on line to Amazon to find that I can get 100 for $22. I can also get a meter for $9 and 100 lancets for $11. No fuss, no muss. Free shipping.

I don't know what they billed Medicare for the meter, but I bet it was a lot more than $9.

So, for me. I think I will get my own and save the tax payers.

Dave
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Diabetes control - 03/25/13 05:00 AM

I also have Type II. I'm on several medications.

It's disappointing that the government wants your personal readings. What happened to doctor-patient privilege?

Meters are cheap these days. My main meter has been an Accu-Chek that I bought in '00 for $60. The strips are expensive, about $70 for 50, but at least they're assembled in the U.S..

I have another meter that I am using more often now, a Bayer. I see them in the stores for about $20. Strips are about $60 for 50, but at least they're made in Japan, not China.

I use a single lancet for several weeks, usually. Cuts down on that cost, anyway.

Thanks for the info regarding on-line purchases, MrB. I'm going to check it out.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Diabetes control - 03/25/13 06:23 AM

The whole health-care system needs overhauling. To many bilk the Govt then complain about rising medical costs and Medicare going broke !! Kudos to you Dave. We knew you were a rare individual ! wink

Sorry to hear of your health problem and Stumpy's too. Got to be a PIA ! Hope you 2 can get the better of it and stay well.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Diabetes control - 03/25/13 06:32 AM

Get my supplies from the Vets Admin, no cost to me, but the pills are 9 bucks for a 30 day supply, I can get the same thing from our local pharmacy for $3, only the VA wont let me get the pills outside their system...could be saving 6 bucks a month on each script.

Re: Diabetes control - 03/25/13 07:04 AM

I can understand why they might want the readings . If they are paying or it then they want to know who is using them. For all they know I old be testing the whole neighborhood , I suppose. The rule was if I test more than once a day they need the record.

Also I will need to get a separate script from my doc to get lancets.

Dave
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Diabetes control - 03/25/13 07:10 AM

Dont think it is how many times a day, or who but rather just the number reading that they are gathering

Re: Diabetes control - 03/25/13 03:21 PM

When I got a new one, I had to turn in my old CPAP machine to prove to the insurance Co that I was actually using it. ( It records every hour of use.- hope it didn't record some of my dreams ! blush ) So FYI - it's not just the VA, Medicare, or the Fed Govt. alone. They're ALL making people prove they need the Rx. I guess if it prevents fraud - I can live with it.

Re: Diabetes control - 03/25/13 04:08 PM

Thanks, Dave. I feel good.

Doc has been playing with my meds with mixed results. But life is good. smile

Re: Diabetes control - 03/25/13 08:44 PM

My A1C readings have been excellent for the last four years, even with all the rest of the crap I've dealt with

Dave
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Diabetes control - 03/25/13 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
My A1C readings have been excellent for the last four years, even with all the rest of the crap I've dealt with

Dave
That has a lot to do with diet, give yourself the credit for that

Re: Diabetes control - 03/26/13 03:01 PM

Yes, Kudos Dave for going for the salads, and not the banana splits !! wink
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Diabetes control - 03/26/13 03:37 PM

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Diabetes control - 03/26/13 03:58 PM

That is AWESOME, Nuc!
Where did you find that?

P.S. Sorry about the diabetes, y'all.

Re: Diabetes control - 03/26/13 04:46 PM

Quote:

That's great, Dave!

Mine have been up and down. Diet is a big factor.

Re: Diabetes control - 03/26/13 04:59 PM

Heart of the Sunrise is such a great song. Squire is so excellent.

I don't think that was him playing on that track, though.

Thanks for the listen, Nuc! smile

Re: Diabetes control - 03/26/13 05:33 PM

After listening a few times, I take that back. I think the recording I have at home is not accurate enough anymore to faithfully reproduce what he really was playing on that track.

My home recording on iTunes is from the original vinyl album I have of theirs from '71. Gettin' scratchy, I guess.

Pretty cool!
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Diabetes control - 03/26/13 05:47 PM

That was great, he played the bass, not just played a beat. Amazing how the brain can fill in the rest of the soundtrack.

What did I miss though, what does that have to do with diabetes. Not being a post police, I don't care, it was way cool, just wondering what I missed. smile

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

Re: Diabetes control - 03/26/13 06:01 PM

Saw Stumpys " Chris Squire Rules" and just felt I should post it as a way to alleviate the diabetes chat.
Sorry you guys have to deal with it...

Re: Diabetes control - 03/26/13 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Stumpy1
After listening a few times, I take that back. I think the recording I have at home is not accurate enough anymore to faithfully reproduce what he really was playing on that track.

My home recording on iTunes is from the original vinyl album I have of theirs from '71. Gettin' scratchy, I guess.

Pretty cool!

Stumpy.. do you have a CD of Yes' Heart of the Sunrise?
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Diabetes control - 03/26/13 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Saw Stumpys " Chris Squire Rules" and just felt I should post it as a way to alleviate the diabetes chat.
Sorry you guys have to deal with it...

I knew that!
You're a good man, Mr. Bear, even if you don't like old Genesis. ;-)

Here is a quote from Louis Black on diabetes. It kind of haunts me…

"On the plane was a Time magazine and there was a 30 page article on diabetes, and I read every page. By the time that plane landed, I had diabetes."

Re: Diabetes control - 03/27/13 05:24 PM

Only the one I made from the record, Nuc. smile

BTW, I didn't mind the digression at all!