Goodbye YoYo

Posted by: Jim_

Goodbye YoYo - 03/23/13 10:08 PM

Not our yoyo, my YoYo. His original name was Yoda as you can see why. Then it went to a nick of YoYo, then just Yo, as animal names tend to evolve.

Had to take this guy in tonight. He has been showing symptoms of thyroid and/or diabetes and/or cancer for a couple of years. I won't put them through the testing, and prodding, or chemo and slamming pills down or giving shots just to satisfy the need to keep them around a little while longer. Quality of life, not quantity.

He came to my abode 6 years ago or so. Hung around outside for about a year till he started to come close and finally came inside. He was old then, had to have all but his back molars pulled. He had a cyst like thing under his left jaw on his neck I used to have drain every few weeks till a couple of years ago when it kind of receded. You can see the lump in this photo. He was too old to operate on back then.

Tough old bird, he instantly became one of the Alphas though, even with a drippy neck and without teeth, it was attitude.

He has been showing signs for a year or more. Drinking more, always hungry, slowly losing weight, etc, but active and spunky till now. The switch flipped today, I knew it was time. When I ate breakfast and lunch he wasn't at my elbow as usual, and was just laying around in strange places, hard to walk, felt cold.

Later.

Yo. frown

This never gets any easier.

Posted by: MrB

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/24/13 02:40 AM

So sorry, for your loss. It's hard to lose a companion.

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/24/13 04:16 AM

Condolences, Man. From one cat lover to another. frown
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/24/13 07:01 AM

Always a tough call to make, but obviously the right one.
Peace to your old friend.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/24/13 07:49 AM

Aww, Jim. So sorry for your loss. frown
He looked like one fine feline.
Peace, Yo.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/24/13 09:16 AM

It's tough, Jim--peace to you both.
Posted by: Celandine

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/24/13 11:24 AM

Yup... The Name Fits.

SHE was known by Many Names
..but HER nick' was "BeeBee"

3 Days Before Halloween........

My BF returned from a weed-run with "Baby-Boo" in tow.
She'd been living in someone's hallway for months, until he
asked her if she wanted to come stay with us... she said "YEAH!"
He slipped her under his jacket & the rest, as they say, is History.

Therefore, among HER other names were; Miss Taken,
Miss Appropriated, oh yeah....The (C)attitude! ...Miss Demeanor

He opened the apartment door tossed her in and hid...
You should'a seen the look on my mom's face!

She walked into our lives 3 days before Halloween
.. .. . . .. . .. . .. . ... . . ... .
and stayed with us for 13 years almost to the day.

Thirteen was much too young...
When she developed cancer throughout her body it progressed
as rapidly as rolling a ball off a tabletop...there was no sense in
trying to drag it out by subjecting her to torturous yet hopeless
visits to the vet in order to force her to stay with us a bit longer.

No...
...it never gets easier...
...the only solace is the knowledge that you're the only one who
can help a best friend in their most dire need imaginable, and
to be with them at the end to ease their passing.

Lord knows how I wish such was so for us poor humans
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/24/13 01:06 PM

I am sorry you lost a friend, Jim.

Kate
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/24/13 03:40 PM

Sorry for your loss, Reboot. Sounds like he was a cool cat.

We lost a cat in July '11 to a mouth tumor. We called him "Wilson," after the soccer ball in Castaway. He bore no relation to the ball - we named him that because I'm a jerk. Best, friendliest cat I've ever seen, at least with people. He was Mrs. Stumpy's buddy. Oh, did she sob when we put him down.

Blessings to you. I don't know if animals go to heaven, but there are some I'd sure like to see there.

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/24/13 05:47 PM

Quote:
I don't know if animals go to heaven, but there are some I'd sure like to see there.

I'm sure they do... where else would they go? cool
Posted by: DLC

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/25/13 06:30 AM

Bummer , Jim !!

Sorry for your loss... I still miss my cat Smokey. She used to lay her head on one of my external HDs and sleep- right next to my monitor. She was my Mac buddy !

My sister has a 15 yr old dashund she won't put down- he's partially crippled and in very poor health- she just can't part with him. Pitiful to see. I'm really hoping he'll pass in his sleep and save her the agony.

It is never easy as you full well know. BUT you did the right thing.
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/25/13 08:08 AM

Very sorry Jim.
You are correct, it always hurts.

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/25/13 08:30 AM

I always take my dogs to a near-by animal hospital for the dirty deed, but my wife has a very special dog that I think would be best done at home. I had looked into it and found that there are small, personal companies that will do an in-home euthanasia for about 150-200. I think that is very interesting... the pet can go to sleep at home without as much stress.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/25/13 03:15 PM

We had Smokey done at home - they were supposed to charge an extra $60, but they ended up doing it for $0 !!! We had used them for years- they felt compelled to do the whole thing for Free ! Helped ease some pain (pocket book) wink

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/25/13 08:55 PM

Thanks all. Getting better but still miss old toothless. frown

I do hate stressing them out with the ride to the vet, they don't feel good as it is. Even sitting in my lap he wasn't comfortable. At least he didn't throw up or crap on me this time, not my first rodeo. smirk

I never realized how much he followed me around the house. Up my ass was another term. grin Was it love, or the lack of protein driving him to the food source since his kidneys etc weren't able to assimilate protein?

I prefer to think the former. He got more treats than the rest of the bunch. I don't care if it shortened his days by a few months, we partied.

Down to 11 critters.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/27/13 02:25 PM

Sorry to hear, Jim/Reboot! It's never easy or nice, but props for not prolonging his suffering.

Our oldest cat is fifteen and still in good shape although showing signs of old age obviously. In many ways I'm already mentally preparing for the inevitable, although she may well still be around and live to be twenty or older. She is tough.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/27/13 04:26 PM

WE've had cats that live heartily into the early 20s, so you never know. Whenever they leave us, though, it's hard.

Re: Goodbye YoYo - 03/27/13 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
WE've had cats that live heartily into the early 20s, so you never know. Whenever they leave us, though, it's hard.
So true. Unconditional love. Or is it we're the food source? grin

The one before this was 23, linky.

I tried to kick start her but vowed to never put one through that again just to keep them around a bit longer. In retrospect selfish, but we do what we think best at the time, right? It's a bitch not being perfect. smirk