Apple email to me - bogus or real?

Posted by: KateSorensen

Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/17/13 07:44 PM

It looks kind of real. I haven't visited the link [verify now] to do as it instructs. What thinkest thou? I Googled the address Apple© <appleinc@email.apple.com> and it brings up what looks like a lot of valid Apple addies.

At the bottom of the page it says: Message sent using Telaen Webmail 1.2.0. That is for sending out big lists, etc. or so Telaen website says.

I recently had problems with my email and removed an address. It happens to be one of the cloud or dotmac addresses. Could have triggered this email and request.

Posted by: Jim_

Re: Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/17/13 08:03 PM

Bogus. They're trying to harvest Apple IDs. They put the email. before apple.com, not a real Apple site.

Forward the email to reportphishing@apple.com and ignore it.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/17/13 08:06 PM

The wording sounds bogus as well. "Your account has been detected." What the heck does that mean??

Re: Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/17/13 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
The wording sounds bogus as well. "Your account has been detected." What the heck does that mean??

Hey! You're the college prof with the PhD!!!!

You tell me wink

Re: Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/17/13 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Bogus. They're trying to harvest Apple IDs. They put the email. before apple.com, not a real Apple site.

Forward the email to reportphishing@apple.com and ignore it.

Why those Dirty Birdies!

I forwarded to report fishing apples . . . and thank you very much:)

Posted by: Leslie

Re: Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/17/13 09:00 PM

We sure need each other.
It's nice.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/18/13 04:24 AM

Kate, clue #1 is "Dear Apple Customer".

Any email sent by a legitimate list holder will refer to you by name. For instance, a common HTML code phrase would be something like *|FNAME|*. You wouldn't see that, but you would see "Dear Kate", because it automatically retrieves the recipient's first name from the email list and inserts in the greeting — and without the actual list (which the phisher wouldn't have) it can't be done.

Capice? smile
Posted by: MrB

Re: Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/18/13 05:06 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52

Just what do you think a "Security Detection Unit" would do?

They Dectect. crazy

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/18/13 06:35 AM

Well, no. They don't detect an account. They would detect a security problem of some kind with the account. Even the department descriptor is bogus. It would be a Fraud Detection Unit. Or a Fraud Protection Unit. Or a Security Unit, period.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/18/13 07:36 AM

At least it wasnt that nasty FBI/money pack hostage email that was going around a few months ago
Posted by: carp

Re: Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/18/13 05:16 PM

I got one too, I just deleted it because for one thing I changed nothing.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Apple email to me - bogus or real? - 03/18/13 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
At least it wasnt that nasty FBI/money pack hostage email that was going around a few months ago
That's why I love my Mac, that only hit Windows. grin

I made some money off it anyway.

Removing it BTW. smirk