Quicky laptop question

Posted by: carp

Quicky laptop question - 03/09/13 10:40 AM

As mentioned I bought my gal a used MacBook Pro 2008 model, dual 2.5

Is the lock that holds the lid down expensive to fix ? ?

oh

She wants a slip on cover - looked everywhere online and even found some that pre-dates 2008 ?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Quicky laptop question - 03/09/13 11:50 AM

It has two parts to the latch. The one on the display, and the one on the bottom case. If I remember right you can't just buy the latch parts for either top or bottom, you have to replace the whole top or bottom. I'd say it would cost at least $200 or more for parts and labor. Sometimes the latch can be fixed but it does involve taking it apart so there would be bench time at least.

Do you want a carrying case or a case that covers the whole laptop. Kuzy, Speck, or Incase are pretty nice. There's a bunch out there. Search using MacBook Pro case.
Posted by: carp

Re: Quicky laptop question - 03/09/13 12:04 PM

Super Thanks,

Oh her concern was since its not locking down would that harm the laptop ? like the screen would stay on when closed.

The only laptop I had was a work Dell - which was used as a desk top , the lid was always up. So thats why I could not answer her questions.

I ran searches for (MacBook Pro 2008) model , I guess not much out there. We did find skins , that vinyl stick tape thingy.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Quicky laptop question - 03/09/13 12:10 PM

I'll look more when I get back in tonight.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Quicky laptop question - 03/09/13 12:56 PM

Dude, you're in the trade. Give her a couple of bench clamps! grin
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Quicky laptop question - 03/09/13 12:57 PM

Quote:
Quicky laptop

Where will this go.....
Posted by: steveg

Re: Quicky laptop question - 03/09/13 01:12 PM

I prefer a slow jam. blush