Mess With Time Week End

Posted by: Pirate

Mess With Time Week End - 03/07/13 06:55 PM

March 10 is the day we get to play with time...daylight savings time goes into effect...spring forward unless you have an automatic setting time device that will do it for you
Posted by: carp

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/07/13 08:25 PM

We don't have that non-sense here - but have fun with it laugh

No , really the savings times is needed laugh in your parts of the country.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/07/13 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
We don't have that non-sense here - but have fun with it laugh

No , really the savings times is needed laugh in your parts of the country.

Do you guys even have clocks? Don't you determine time by how the shadows align with the huge statues that were erected by aliens 3000 years ago. Or do I have that confused with other islands crazy

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/08/13 05:17 AM

Dave: LOL !!

Don't you know it's hard to turn a sundial forward ??

... and the hourglass just keeps on goin' no matter what ! wink

razzin ye Steve !!

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/08/13 10:18 AM

Yeah, Steve. Just having fun. Truth be known, your state is probably more advanced then any other.

As for daylight saving, I've never cared for it . Why do folks and particularly, legislators haveto make things more complicated.

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/08/13 10:50 AM

I think it's great. Extra time in the evenings outdoors. I can get the lawn mowed on week nights and have the weekend for fun (or other work).
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/08/13 11:58 AM

I wish we'd have daylight savings year round. I don't care about the sun in winter not being up in the mornings if we keep the clocks ahead an hour. Heck, even without DST the sun's not up in the mornings in the winter. But I do like the idea of having some sunlight in the evenings as I go home, and DST gives me that.

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/08/13 12:21 PM

Yeah, it's depressing coming out of the studio... and it's already dark-thirty.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 04:51 AM

Meh... Because Dayton is so close to the western edge of EST, the sun rises and sets nearly an hour later than on the east coast. So right now, it's 7:50AM, and dawn has just now broken within the last 10 minutes, I HATE that. I'm used to first light btwn 4:30 and 5. cry

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 05:04 AM

Quote:
I'm used to first light btwn 4:30 and 5.

shocked eek

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 05:37 AM

To me it seems so arbitrary. Why don't they just tell people to change their schedules for working, etc.

Say if a hospital, say, which has 12 hour schedules ( the norm in lots of areas ) decided it might be benefit their patents and staff , they could change their shifts from 7:00 to 7:00, to 6:00 to 6:00.

Then you would have some people applaud that they can be home before dark. But then others gritching that they have to get up to early.

To me, just set it and leave it alone.

Dave

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 05:52 AM

But then, also, the concept of time is arbitrary. Lets changeout days to 30 hours. Then when people worked 8 hours they could have more free time. This would please the liberals. Then the employers could hire more employees which would please the conservatives.

We could then change time zones to 12 degrees instead of 15

Dave

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 06:10 AM

Dood, back in the 80s & 90s when I was a hard core cyclist, I'd be up every weekday just before dawn for a 20-25 mile training before going to work. And Saturdays I'd head out at dawn for a "century" with friends and still be home for lunch. Now I walk instead. So I like to get in 3 miles as early as possible. Of course, the later sunset does make it easier to do my after dinner 3-miler. In fact, in summer, I can push the walk to as late as 9PM when it's still light, but definitely cooler.

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 06:50 AM

Quote:
Then when people worked 8 hours they could have more free time. This would please the liberals.

Yeah.... Cuz that wouldn't please hard -working conservatives?
This statement seems to tell me a lot. shocked

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 07:08 AM

Time zones; Twilight zones... who's counting, anyway? confused
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 07:11 AM

Quote:
But then, also, the concept of time is arbitrary.

Our time is based on the rotation of the earth and its orbit around the sun -- periods upon which most if not all earth creatures have their natural rhythms and cycles synched. Hardly an arbitrary concept ;-)

Although you're correct in that we *could* arbitrarily recognize a 30-hour day if we didn't mind 14am sometimes being the dead of night and sometimes being the height of daylight; or Joctebuary (we'd have to re-jigger weeks and months and years, too) sometimes being winter-cold or summer-hot ...

A lot of trouble to go through just to get some extra free "time," but at least the Liberals would be happy ;-)
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 07:35 AM

Think I read somewhere that some cultures in history did calculate time in a different way than we do...in roman times there were only 10 months until they added in august and think it was june, changing the number of days in each month

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 08:41 AM

Quote:
Our time is based on the rotation of the earth and its orbit around the sun
You're assuming the earth is neither flat nor the center of the Universe. Heresy! mad
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 09:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Pirate

Think I read somewhere that some cultures in history did calculate time in a different way than we do...in roman times there were only 10 months until they added in august and think it was june, changing the number of days in each month

Indeed -- They were trying to make sense out of nature's diurnal and seasonal cycles and modified their systems as their knowledge and experience increased. But it was still a systematized and purposeful calculation.

We still make tweaks to those calculations today (I think they added some (mili?)seconds or minutes to one single day sometime in the last year or so, just to make the math work ;-) ...

But in terms of Mr. B's 30-hour day, you have two choices:

a) Keep the Hour at 60 of today's minutes, in which case changing a Day to equal 30 hours would encompass more than a single rotation of the earth (and thus the sun's zenith in the sky would happen at a different hour every day, processing around the clock), and would require a redefinition of everything based on a Day (weeks, months, years, etc.), or

b) Break-up the cycle that we know as a "Day" into 30 shorter segments instead of the current 24. Of course, that just means the new "8 hour workday" might be equivalent to, say, a current 6-hour workday -- in which case why wouldn't we just take the easy route and mandate a shorter workday instead of trying to monkey with our concept of time?

=)
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
To me it seems so arbitrary. Why don't they just tell people to change their schedules for working, etc.

Say if a hospital, say, which has 12 hour schedules ( the norm in lots of areas ) decided it might be benefit their patents and staff , they could change their shifts from 7:00 to 7:00, to 6:00 to 6:00.

Then you would have some people applaud that they can be home before dark. But then others gritching that they have to get up to early.
Originally Posted By: MrB
But then, also, the concept of time is arbitrary. Lets changeout days to 30 hours. Then when people worked 8 hours they could have more free time. This would please the liberals. Then the employers could hire more employees which would please the conservatives.

We could then change time zones to 12 degrees instead of 15

To me, just set it and leave it alone.
Yeah, that all sure sounds a lot easier than just setting the clocks back and forward one hour twice a year. smirk

Plus, you're long retired Dave, the day starts at sunrise and ends at sunset for you. For us working stiffs that extra hour of light is a lot. I'm with yoyo, make it year round.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 09:45 AM

Is there a natural law that says that an hour has to be 60 minutes, or a minute60 seconds? Seriously--is there?
Posted by: Papa

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 10:12 AM

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=experts-time-division-days-hours-minutes
Posted by: carp

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 10:17 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Is there a natural law that says that an hour has to be 60 minutes, or a minute60 seconds? Seriously--is there?

NO not really - Time does not care what we silly humans do , it just moves on. Resetting the clock only tricks ourselves .

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Quote:
Then when people worked 8 hours they could have more free time. This would please the liberals.

Yeah.... Cuz that wouldn't please hard -working conservatives?
This statement seems to tell me a lot. shocked

I was stretching to fit both groups, wanted to give more freedom of movement to the liberals and wanted to give the conservatives ways to make more money by forcing workers to work longer hours. It was meant as a joke on both groups. I thought folks would see that. I'm sorry that I stepped on any feelings. I didn't mean to.

Dave

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 01:01 PM

There was a guy sometime back who had proposed to reconfigure the way we allocated time. Can't recall how he was to do it. It was interesting.

Re: Mess With Time Week End - 03/10/13 01:16 PM

Very well done, I never knew, or had forgotten, where we got minutes and seconds . The connection between Our time and our navigation is important.

I have a clock that I bought myself as Christmas present that has the clock face divided in radian measure. With the hour numerated as parts of 2Pi

Dave

The real reason - 03/10/13 02:44 PM

http://www.arcamax.com/thefunnies/daddyshome/s-1288537

Dave