mac web sharing setup question

Posted by: ichi

mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 04:36 PM

been a loooong time!
i have a Zoom cable modem (i don't think this modem has any configuration possibilities--at least i didn't see any), which is good, i guess, because i have a Time Capsule connected to that, and the old mac connected by ethernet to the Time Capsule.

i enable web sharing on the mac and on the Time Capsule. if i plug the mac directly into the modem, i can see my web page (imade a custom one to be sure). but when i plug the mac via the Time Capsule i cannot access--Safari cannot access page.

i am trying use no-ip.org, a free dns service--this works when connected to directly to the modem.

the mac sees its web page through the Time Capsule when using an internal ip 10.0.... etc.

any ideas?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 04:47 PM

ichi.. how ya been?

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 05:03 PM

on the phone with apple now, i got whatchamacallit on the TC--apple care. ;-)

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 06:33 PM

all it was was putting in the 10.0... ip in the TC's web sharing/edit.

next question: i have a secured folder i can now visit via the web, if i drop a mp3 file in there it will play in the browser of the requesting device, but a .mov (video) will not--not on my ipad3 anyway.

why not? ipad3 safari plays other web quicktime movies? or does it have to be some special flavor, mp4 or what-have-you?

clueless.

hello from Florida NG4! fair to midland. and how are you?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 06:38 PM

Is your cable modem set as a pass through/bridge and handing out an external IP to the TC or is it in router mode and handing out an internal IP to the TC?

Bridge is easiest. If the modem is in router mode there should be a setting to make it a bridge or your ISP can do it.

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 07:57 PM

apparently the modem is no router, nothing configurable in it. so it's passing all through--i guess. and it's all working, http, vnc.... just wondering why a mp3 will play in the questing browser (safari on my ipad), but not a qt movie. ?

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 08:00 PM

see my underneath reply, but does another port in the TC need to be forwarded just for movies? like a streaming service or something? let me go try that, i saw one in the TC.

nope. if an mp3 plays, should a .mov play on an iPad( just by clicking the file link)?

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 08:19 PM

It plays on the mac but not the ipad.

please try it:
cma7b5.no-ip.org/music/

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: ichi
It plays on the mac but not the ipad.

please try it:
cma7b5.no-ip.org/music/
Same here. I downloaded it then sent it to Air Video Server. On the iPhone it shows in the list with "Invalid" next to it, and says "No Video Stream found in file" when I try to play it.

Something with the file.

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 08:31 PM

here's another file. i get the same behavior.

maybe they need to be atv mp;, but i those are, i thought.

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 08:47 PM

Any mov that will play for me Air Video Server shows as H.264 in Quicktime player Get Info, the ones you have say H.264(Perian)

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 08:49 PM

What is the source. You need to export for iDevices.

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 08:49 PM

ok here goes one i' m playing to atv now.

we have BOOM.

curious, can you find "Perian" in there anywhere?

thanks.

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 08:54 PM

will those others play on your desktop? they should.

yes, i thought those had been re-wrapped for atv or idevices. (and i forgot about that.)

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 09:26 PM

We have a winner.

No Perian anymore.

Re: mac web sharing setup question - 03/04/13 10:58 PM

thanks, man!