Current news stories

Posted by: MrB

Current news stories - 03/04/13 08:51 AM

I get my news from the Internet. But am constantly flummoxed regarding the reporting.

An example here from an NBC affiliate about a young boy who dies

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Bullied-Boy-Dies-in-Hospital-Family-194722531.html

First we are enticed to the article by the "bullying" label, then the article gives absolutely no information regarding if indeed he was being bullied. Just that two boys were in a fight with I'm on the playground.

This is from an NBC piece but other sources do the same thing.

Herein this , all that is established is that the by has died possibly as the result of the fight.

Dave
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Current news stories - 03/04/13 09:29 AM

Hmm. I think you need to read the article again. Make sure you follow the link in the first sentence of the article too.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Current news stories - 03/04/13 10:02 AM

Took da woids right off'n my keyboard, bruddah.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Current news stories - 03/04/13 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
I get my news from the Internet. But am constantly flummoxed regarding the reporting.

Dave

whistle

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Re: Current news stories - 03/05/13 03:13 AM

Missed that particular link, but I had read a couple other stories about this before I t to this one. I still think, they could have investigate further to determin if the boy was bullied or was just in a fight. This is not make light of his death.

Dave

Re: Current news stories - 03/05/13 03:21 AM

This was one example of many where the reporting is lax and they use a headline garnered from current headlines. bruddah

Also, often, an article will have links embedded between paragraphs referring to barely connected stories that have little to do with the current one. Seems CNN often does this.

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Current news stories - 03/05/13 03:42 AM

The story and links within supported and expanded the headline. The content tracked in a linear way all the way through. So I still don't see what your problem is with this article. But it's your problem, so carry on, bruddah.
Posted by: carp

Re: Current news stories - 03/05/13 05:36 PM

Well all the school fights I seen , involved at lease 1 school bully , so fights were related to bullying.

Not sure where MrB is going ?

Re: Current news stories - 03/05/13 07:53 PM

The Headline mentioned Bullying. But the article gave no good evidence that the child was bullied. Except that the child's parents said he was being bullied. But thatwas enough for the media outlet to put it into the headline. bullying is a hot topic currently.

This one piece is but an example of much that is on Internet news. I believe thswas NBC, but I'm not singling them out as others do the same.

I've always thought that the body of the article was to back up and give details of the headlines. Hey, maybe I'm wrong here.

Dave
Posted by: carp

Re: Current news stories - 03/05/13 09:19 PM

My point Dave is that the fight was because of a bully = hence he was being bullied.

Yes I agree they news could have said that - maybe they thought it is common sense any school fight is a form of bulling and there was no need to mention that part ? ?

I dunno;
Maybe a - assumed omission ?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Current news stories - 03/05/13 09:48 PM

The Headline mentioned Bullying. But the article gave no good evidence that the child was bullied.
Like I said above, the first sentence of your link has this link in it.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Bullied-Boy-Lies-in-a-Coma-192156541.html

Re: Current news stories - 03/06/13 06:19 AM

The link given has this in the second paragraph

" As his family continues to hope for a recovery, they also want the school bullies accused of attacking Bailey brought to justice."

With no data to back this claim up . That the two other boys are the "school bullies". Is ths enough to put this in the headline? Personally, I think not, but if everyone thinks it is then that's alright.
My point in all of this is that , in my opinion, Internet news has become a competition to who can get the most clicks, not which gives the most thorough coverage. This was just one example.
As to this specific case, it appears, that the police are investigating the situation. Kids get into scuffles all the time. It might be that this might have had worse consequences then the other boys intended. Could be the dead boy had some say into it. I say, "could be". It also could be that these other two boys really did mean to inflict serious bodily harm. No information about this I've found, but I haven't looked at the further developments this morning.

It's common practice for schools to suspend all parties of a fight if the individuals throw a punch. But the consequences of this situation far exceed a scuffle. But at the time it might not have appeared so.

Dave
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Current news stories - 03/06/13 08:36 AM

The Headline mentioned Bullying. But the article gave no good evidence that the child was bullied. Except that the child's parents said he was being bullied. But thatwas enough for the media outlet to put it into the headline. bullying is a hot topic currently.

The boys had a fight. One of them later died. The dead boy's parents allege his death was a result of the fight ("bullying"); the police say that the cause is undetermined pending an autopsy. Counselors have been sent to the school to help students deal with the tragedy.

Given that sequence of facts, what part of the headline:

"Students Consoled After Boys Alleged "Bullying" Death" do you find inaccurate or sensational?