The Dayton Spitz.

Posted by: steveg

The Dayton Spitz. - 03/03/13 06:20 AM

No, it's not a new cocktail. It's what I call a local weather phenom that just... drives... me... bat... sht... crazy!

In the nearly 6 years that I've lived here, I've never seen more than 2" - 3" of snow from a single weather event except for a couple of exceptions where we got closer to 6". Very cold weather, yes. Snow? Not so much. Except for periods like the last 2 days where it's mostly cold and overcast, and the clouds spit single, random flakes in such sparse numbers that within a span of 60 seconds, you can barely count as many flakes! eek

After a couple of days, the ground looks like the world's stingiest pastry chef sprinkled a half cup of powdered sugar over a square mile. crazy

The Dayton Spitz. Ugh! mad
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/03/13 09:19 AM

Pittsburgh is like that sometimes. And then sometimes you get walloped. I think it's random lake effect stuff, at least in Pittsburg, anyway.

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/03/13 09:32 AM

Ain't no big lakes in SW Ohio.

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/03/13 10:37 AM

I know, and Pittsburgh is pretty far from the Great Lakes. But lake effect it is. Heck, we get periods of lake effect down here in SE PA!
Posted by: leicaman

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/03/13 12:47 PM

Funny, I was out hot tubbin' it this morning. How odd. whistle
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/03/13 01:13 PM

You live on the wrong side of I-70! This was just a couple of weeks ago...before all of the ice we had too!

Amazing how just a few miles north makes the difference!

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/03/13 02:08 PM

What is that... 6" - 8" at most? I'm talkin' about real snow, my man. That's still wimpter, AFAIC.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/03/13 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
After a couple of days, the ground looks like the world's stingiest pastry chef sprinkled a half cup of powdered sugar over a square mile. crazy
I like it when it gets just enough to cover the ugly brown of winter, but not enough to cause idiot drivers to drive like idiots.

I would actually prefer those spitz being rays of sunshine around 70. I'd love to move to a warmer climate. I've seen the change of seasons for close to 58 years, it's lost its luster for me. smirk

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/03/13 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: leicaman
Funny, I was out hot tubbin' it this morning. How odd. whistle
:-P

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/03/13 04:26 PM

What is that... 6" - 8" at most? I'm talkin' about real snow, my man.
What an animal. grin

You can have it. I'm enjoying our milder winters, what can I say. Viva la global warming. wink
Posted by: Pirate

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/03/13 04:42 PM

Come on out this way...this year there was no snow to speak of...1/4 inch or so, one ice event...we put out snow shovels
at the store in October...so far we have sold 2...plastic sleds...sold 4, well at least 4 are missing from the display..
but it has been really cold for this part of the world

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/04/13 02:29 AM

I tried that for a year in Boca Raton. Turns out I missed the seasons big time. 'Course 4 'canes in one season (two of which were direct hits) didn't help.

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/04/13 02:30 AM

Call me weird, but I've gotta have at least one big storm to confirm winter. Then it can be as mild as you like.

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/04/13 05:59 AM

What is that... 6" - 8" at most? I'm talkin' about real snow, my man. That's still wimpter, AFAIC.

Hey, I used to live in the lake effect snow belt in MI so I do know snow! Yea, it was enough to break out the big snowblower though (you can see the trails on the side of the brick..it was the heavy wet stuff!).

It looks like you will get a tease Wednesday, at least for those of use north of I-70, with up to six inches of snow.
Posted by: carp

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/04/13 05:28 PM

Snow ? whats that laugh

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/04/13 06:57 PM

Go suck a coconut, carp! wink

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/24/13 12:32 PM

Is this going to make you happy? smile

Re: The Dayton Spitz. - 03/24/13 01:29 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. So far we've had more of the Spitz all day and not even a half inch on the ground.