Crash Plan Rox!

Posted by: steveg

Crash Plan Rox! - 02/27/13 07:56 AM

Well, so far, anyway. Trying the 30-day trial, and oh, baby, is it slick! It's incredibly configurable (and I can set it NOT to touch files deleted from my HD). Cooler still, I can also back up to external drives and even another computer in addition to their cloud.

This time, I'll complete the trial (I jumped too soon w/Carbonite) and then decide which plan to buy if I'm still lovin' it.

There are a lot more options than what Time Machine Editor provides, so I have to wonder if it makes sense to disable TM, and just let this puppy handle all the backups. Granted, TM is free and CP is a paid subscription, but given how robust it appears to be, it may be worth dropping TM. Jim, what would you do?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Crash Plan Rox! - 02/27/13 11:08 AM

WWJD? smirk

I would go with both. Recovery from an on-site backup is much quicker than online, but I do like the online backup in case of the meteorite smashing the house scenario or something like that.

What can you do with CrashPlan that TimeMachine won't let you do. You do know if you want to exclude folders you have to do that out of Time Machine preferences. TimeMachine Editor is just used to set the schedule.

Re: Crash Plan Rox! - 02/27/13 11:45 AM

These are the things I'm going to be researching over the coming weeks. But to clarify, CP lets me back up to other hardware, and if that bypasses their cloud, then it's redundant to TM. I plan to call their tech support number in a week or so with a list of detailed questions.

Re: Crash Plan Rox! - 02/27/13 12:02 PM

Here are just three pref panes on the CP control panel. And there's more. And other than selecting folders/files, I see nothing this robust in the TM prefs.