Slow Cooking Beef Stew

Posted by: Pirate

Slow Cooking Beef Stew - 02/10/13 07:59 AM

If you have 8 hrs. to spend here is a good way to do it.

1/4 cup olive oil
2 lb beef stew meat cut into 1-inch pieces (NOT extra lean)
6 cloves garlic, minced
5-6 cups beef broth or beef stock
1 cup Guinness beer
1 cup red wine ( cabernet sauvignon)
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 fresh bay leaves or 2 dried
2 tbsp salted butter
4 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large white onion, chopped
2 cups 1/2 inch peeled carrots
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley to top

Directions:

Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the beef pieces. Make sure not to overcrowd the skillet (or the meat wonít brown) and donít stir while browning. Use tongs to flip pieces over. Continue to cook until all of the pieces are lightly browned on each side. It doesnít matter that they arenít cooked all the way through. Set beef aside.

In skillet, add 2 more tbsp of olive oil and the garlic. Saute 1 minute. Add onion and cook until translucent.

Add browned beef pieces, garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes, beef broth, Guinness, wine, and spices, to crock pot. Set crock pot on low for 8-9 hours, or high for 5-6 hours. Serve in bowls with some crusty bread or beer bread.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Slow Cooking Beef Stew - 02/10/13 02:30 PM

Sounds great!

I make a Muligan stew. It's basically a "gozinta" stew. Take any vegetable you have and put it in the large tick pot with lots of tomatoes and tomato sauce with beef bouillon and a generous quantity of beef stew meat cut in sub inch cubes. Season with garlic and what not.

Veggies I use are

Potatoes
Onions
Carrots
Celery
Cabbage
Corn
Green beans

Since it has a tomato base it's rather sweet with the savory.

I use an 8 quart pot since I can't seem to get all my ingredients in a six quart. I have mine ready to eat in a couple hours, but I leave it simmering on the burner a couple more hours as I continually eat from it.

My mother made this when I was growing up and I've made this ever sense.

Dave