quit apps

Posted by: Leslie

quit apps - 01/25/13 11:58 AM

Does anyone know how to quit all open apps at once in mountain lion without having to restart the computer?
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 12:27 PM

Found one that quits all -- shuts down
Another quits all -- restarts

Didn't find the one you're looking for

Command-Control-Media Eject (⏏)---Quit all applications (after giving you a chance to save changes to open documents), then restart the computer

Command-Option-Control-Media Eject (⏏)---Quit all applications (after giving you a chance to save changes to open documents), then shut down the computer

keyboard shortcuts from Apple Mac OS X 10.6, OS X Lion, OS X Mountain Lion

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 12:48 PM

Thanks Kate.
I couldn't find it either but I refuse to believe it is not out there.
Will keep looking.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 01:24 PM

Launch Automator. Click Application in the template window. Under the actions list scroll down to Quit All Applications. Drag it to the space on the right. Go to Save, name it what you want and save it.

If you want to get inventive when you make the app you can choose any apps you don't want to shut down under Do Not Quit, use the Add button.

HTH smile
Posted by: Nana

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 02:03 PM

You should not have to jump through hoops just to quit all apps at the same time. mad
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 02:34 PM

Try Qall, I don't have ML to try it with, though.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24778/qall

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 02:46 PM

To put the app you made in your Menu Bar launch AppleScript Editor. Go to its Preferences and set the bottom check boxes like below.

You'll now see an AppleScript icon somewhere on the right side of the Menu Bar. Click it and click Open Scripts Folder. Drag the Quit All app you made to the folder, it will then appear under the AppleScript Menu.

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 03:08 PM

Yes, I've always wondered why Apple never put a command for it in the Finder Menu Bar.

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 04:02 PM

Thanks Jim.
However, I followed your instructions to the letter. The script icon shows up, the "quit all apps" folder is there but when I click on it, nada!
I even restarted my computer thinking that might help, no go.
Any thoughts?

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Leslie
Any thoughts?
I always have thoughts, organizing them for presentation to the general population is the trick grin
The script icon shows up, the "quit all apps" folder is there but when I click on it, nada!
Did you mean a "quit all apps" folder or the app you made in Automator.

Too many icons, too little time, what do we call them all? wink

So are these the hoops you jumped through? You made the app in Automator (you made sure you clicked Application in the template window), from the Automator Save menu saved it somewhere and named it, enabled the AppleScript menu from AppleScript Editor, opened the Scripts Folder from the AppleScript menu, then either placed the app there or made a new folder called "quit all apps" and moved the app you made into that folder?

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 05:00 PM

I hit "quit application" instead of "quit all applications" - pay attention Leslie!
Thank you for being so patient.

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 05:14 PM

All apps but stickies quit. Obviously, they are different.

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 05:42 PM

Nevermind!
You have to click on the desktop and then all apps will quit.
Thanks again.

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 05:47 PM

Nevermind!
You have to click on the desktop and then all apps will quit.
Thanks again.
You shouldn't have to. When you made the app you didn't click Add Current Application did you, and it added Stickies to Do Not Quit?
Posted by: Nana

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 08:52 PM

All that hoop jumping, sheesh!!!!! Force Quit is faster. Especially if using a mouse instead of a trackpad, keyboard shortcuts, etc.

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Nana
Force Quit is faster.
Eek! Don't do that unless an app is hung for a long time. It may need to do some bookkeeping before it quits. It can corrupt preferences.

Re: quit apps - 01/25/13 10:17 PM

I checked that to make sure an app was not added by mistake, nothing there.
I tried it a few times and each time it only worked when I clicked on the desktop.
Stickies was not the only app that stayed open, it was whatever app was opened last.

Strange, but true.

Re: quit apps - 01/26/13 09:33 AM

I tried it a few times and each time it only worked when I clicked on the desktop.
So the script won't run unless you click to the Finder first, then it still leaves one app open?

Not sure why it won't quit all. I just tried on another machine and quit all quits all. You're not running any anti-virus, MacKeeper, or any other useless clean my Mac product are you? You're on Mountain Lion? I tried from Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion.

Well at least it's most of the way there, only one app to quit then.

Re: quit apps - 01/26/13 09:52 AM

All apps close as long as I click finder first. In other words, if I have 4 apps open and happen to be working in one, it will not close if I use the script. It is not a big deal for me, just happy to have found a way to close them all.

Re: quit apps - 01/26/13 10:05 AM

All apps close as long as I click finder first.
Okay, I see now. I thought one app always refused to quit no matter what.

Have a good one. smile

Re: quit apps - 01/26/13 10:23 AM

You also and thanks again.