The End of an Era

Posted by: Biggerfoot

The End of an Era - 01/21/13 06:26 PM

Tonight marks the unceremonious end my last 1999 iMac that was in use.

My orange iMac was the 400mhz DV model. It still worked fine for what I was using it for. I had seven years worth of fitness journals on it. The software, PDABS still works on Intels and 10.8 but the company went out of business years ago. Although I still have a license I purchased, they had an odd method to register it. For a $25 shareware program, it was as bad as Adobe and it was for just a one-time install.

Basically, since I did not want to lose the records, I had to reenter the data. It was not too bad...just an evening and some tea.

There are not too many options for fitness logs for the Mac. Open Fitness is outdated and its interface it terrible. Weightmania Pro is about it. It is great program but a little costly. I went with Weightmania Pro.

Probably the last time I will have the iMac running as I transfer the records (I worked out five days a week for a few years so there was a lot. It is helpful to see where I was at certain times and it helps with motivation too.):

My leftovers. The red iMac still works too. The TV came out of my fitness room...still works. I remember getting it in 1991. What to do next???? I still have my old Color Classics, 512KE, Classic, G3s, so I am guessing to the barn loft they will go!

Re: The End of an Era - 01/21/13 06:35 PM

Oh, for the old timers here...you can probably guess what the yellow thing is on top of the Mac Pro (arrow)!

Posted by: carp

Re: The End of an Era - 01/21/13 07:14 PM

I guess time to say good by into that long dark night.

Apple of old, the hardware out lasted the software - I mean today more than likely your gonna replace hardware , before the machine it self becomes so totally out of date.
Posted by: DLC

Re: The End of an Era - 01/21/13 07:25 PM

I've got an old Quadra 660AV (1994) I keep wanting to fire up, but I don't have a monitor for it. I guess the monitor died and I tossed it years ago...bad thing the Quadra takes a special monitor cable !! eek
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The End of an Era - 01/21/13 07:53 PM

From time to time I boot up the original Bondi iMac, first version, and it still works fine. I had some version of OSX on it at one point, but decided that was silly, so it's running the final version of OS 9. Kinda quaint.

Re: The End of an Era - 01/22/13 05:22 AM

I forgot, I also have a Bondi iMac too. I have it running 10.3.

Carrying the old iMac to the barn, it was funny how different carrying the LCD panels are compared to lugging around the old CRTs and old TVs.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: The End of an Era - 01/22/13 06:29 AM

Okay, so no one's guessed.
What's the yellow thing?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: The End of an Era - 01/22/13 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
What's the yellow thing?
Sponge Bob?
Posted by: Pirate

Re: The End of an Era - 01/22/13 07:32 AM

My old bondi bit the dust last year, I still have older two mac's
up and running, a 6500 date unknown, and a 1999 I think, orange clam shell lap top, the lap top monitor has become unstable, contrast and light/dark controls flicker but it still is usable

Re: The End of an Era - 01/22/13 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
What's the yellow thing?
Sponge Bob?

Yes!

It has been relegated to keeping my cats off the top of my MacPro.

Re: The End of an Era - 01/22/13 11:44 AM

cool
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: The End of an Era - 01/22/13 12:02 PM

Sponge Bob! Wow. I couldn't make any connection with anything yellow other than a large post it note. Good one!

Great mystery quiz. wink

Posted by: Jim_

Re: The End of an Era - 01/22/13 02:24 PM

That sponge has been places we old guys can only dream about. grin

Re: The End of an Era - 01/22/13 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
That sponge has been places we old guys can only dream about. grin

Yep. His current duties are not that exciting...but the cats are females at least. Now if I could get him to dust....

Re: The End of an Era - 01/22/13 06:38 PM

Well now…
That's pretty creepy!