Telsa electric cars

Posted by: carp

Telsa electric cars - 01/18/13 10:35 PM

Yours if ya got the bucks.

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Anyway, a resident in the building I work in , just got his order in just yesterday - Today I seen it for the first time in person and (really got to touch it) laugh Freaking beautiful car !!

Sadly;
The Telsa owners next step is to get a charging station to his parking stall thats located 4 levels up in a condo building parking structure and (tap) off my pool pump room electrical panel <-- Big NO NO
Posted by: steveg

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/19/13 03:55 AM

Niiiice. About time someone fielded an electric that doesn't actually look like it runs on batteries. cool
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/19/13 07:15 AM

good looking cruiser

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/19/13 10:35 AM

Yeah,
When he told me he bought an electric , I thought of something that looks like a Toyota Scion/Hyundai or one of those tiny egg shape thingys laugh

Check out the 17 inch touch screen - almost all the controls are touch based , plus rear and forward cameras. The car auto levels around turns , auto squats on the freeway. touch screen to go over speed bumps . Since theres no engine theres 2 trunks.

Check out the giant iPad.
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/performance

One small feature I thought was cool are the door handles are completely recessed, walk up to the car it auto senses the remote in your pocket , the handles slide out and unlocks the car without you pressing the remote.

Well for 95,000 , he did buy the top of the line with all the features - he quickly pointed out to me that a top of the line Mercedes or BMW is about the same price <-- errr okay laugh

I said babe magnet for sure - he said better be , his Mustang was NOT working in that department laugh
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/19/13 01:56 PM

Quote:
One small feature I thought was cool are the door handles are completely recessed, walk up to the car it auto senses the remote in your pocket , the handles slide out and unlocks the car without you pressing the remote.

Camry hybrid has had that for years, well the handles aren't recessed but I also didn't pay 95,000.

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/19/13 09:06 PM

Well you gotta pony up for the extras laugh

I do agree for 95 K <- with all the extras -> even at 52 base price is kinda a hefty price.

Kinda reminds me of when this whole green movement came about . 1.99 for 50 trash bags , 6.99 for biodegradable <- wtf ? I thought they were trying to (save the planet) NOT rob it.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/20/13 01:12 AM

It's a shame good electric cars are only really practical in warm, dry places at the moment. Anywhere like here, where most of the year you need heating and lights, dramatically reduces the distance you can drive on a charge (and cold reduces the charge the batteries will take, too). Teslas are sexy!
Posted by: DLC

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/20/13 01:15 PM

Super looking car and features ! man, I thought $52,000 was pricy !!
$95,000 ! woooo,,, them babes better all be "10s" for that cash. eek

The good news is you get a $7500 tax rebate ! laugh

How long do they say the batteries last ? 7, 8, 10 years ?

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/20/13 01:46 PM

Humm did not see anything about having to replace batteries after a certain life ? ?

I think the warranty is for 8 years - so that means 1 month after 8 years the batteries would completely die = you gatta trash the whole car <- no mention either of replacing the batteries.

Looking at the savings -vs- the cost of the Tesla . There is no way in h3ll that you would ever break even before this drop dead 8 year period.

Tesla does point out that you start saving from day one <-- that is true.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/20/13 07:32 PM

Electric cars. How much does it cost to charge up to go those "up to 300" mile?

By the way, the statement "will run up to 300 miles" just means " no further than 300 miles" . Could be only 250, or 150, or 50 or even one mile.

But what's the cost per mile

Energy, no matter how its created, ain't free even solar isn't free

Dave

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/20/13 09:07 PM

I did a cost comparison and compared to a gas-hybrid at 40 mpg; you'd save about $4.60 per 100 miles at 11 / KW for charging. So a 100K miles, you'd save $4600+ [gas at $3.10 /gallon] . That's hardly enough to justify even a $52,000 price tag. and even counting the $7500 tax deduction, a $44,000 price tag. Compared to a STD car that gets 25 mpg, you'd save about $9200 / 100K miles. That's better !!

That Said, if they produce many - the cost will drop so it's a move in the right direction, but give it 2-3 more years !! (IMHO) If the out of pocket cost was $30-33 K after rebate- it'd be very competitive. Remember NO Oil changes and NO engine tuneups --- that's gotta save plenty too. (c.$1000 / 100K miles) [ 20-25 oil changes at $30 each and a $400 tuneup.]
The reason I asked about batteries is that the Prius batteries last about 8-10 years and cost $3000-4000 to replace. Like the rechargeables in your flashlight - they don't last forever ! That has to be factored in if you keep it >8 years or ~ 100K miles.

IMO- they still need some price reductions. But the car IS very impressive !!!

MrB- 12 years ago we elected Bush & in 2008 the economy got whacked... we been Bush-whacked ! laugh

Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/20/13 10:30 PM

Dear MrB.
I would like to think of solar and "alternative energy" in the same way I viewed mail vs. email, and internet speeds in general.

Replace the word mile in your post, with kbps.

Maybe someday, someone, will create a better, cheaper, less destructive solution, but we won't know unless we try.

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/20/13 10:35 PM

Sold our 2004 Prius after 4 wonderful years and it is still going strong.
Bought a 2008 Camry Hybrid and drive from Vancouver to Palm Springs for under $200.
This is an unpaid commercial for hybrid cars.

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/21/13 12:53 AM

I have a friend who has a 5 or so year old Prius. She's not let e drive it but in riding in it, I say it does rather well, getting around

And a big plus for me is that for me, a big person, it's the easiest car getting into I've ever sat in. Bar none. But will also say that iv not ridden in any modern cars so this might be said for many newer ones. But it has little lip getting my feet over and doesn't have that knee knocker getting in.

But, though it hasn't given her much trouble recently there have been a few ties where it has slipped out of gear when starting cold. She checked ths out on the web to find that the part to fix it cost over $700. Ouch

Dave

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/21/13 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: DLC

MrB- 12 years ago we elected Bush & in 2008 the economy got whacked... we been Bush-whacked ! laugh

Excellent ! LOL

Dave

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/21/13 10:15 AM

Right Dave thats about it good math there.

The average power price is about 11 cents per Kw hour - I have to check again ? but Tesla rates is 1 Kw hour at 11 cents gives you 30 miles or $3.30 for every 300 miles . Still a hefty savings. For me given my driving to work and home on a full charge = I would only need to charge the Tesla once every 5th day <- oddly thats the same time span I fill gas in my car 20.00 dollars each time. So 20.00 - 3.30 = 16.70 in savings every week.

Consider to that if you have solar electric at home , then the power is free. Even better.

What more compelling to me is the Tesla lack of moving parts . More so since I recently replace the Passat starter for 750.00 cash, replace wheel bearing 1 only for 400.00 . Next month I am having the exhaust leak looked at what cost ????

When you look at the most common parts that need replacing . Starters, water pumps, radiator, alternators, exhaust systems, hoses, oils and filters, I am sure I missed few. The Tesla has none of those.

Unknown is what could break down in a all electric ? ?

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/21/13 10:29 AM

Energy, no matter how its created, ain't free even solar isn't free

Thats correct MrB.
Even this Tesla owner said that he will never break even given the cost of the car - however he does start saving the second he drives the car.

Much like Solar the investment is all up front - however and like the car the more you use it the faster it pays it self off. So if you are able to max out your solar and combine that with a all electric car, the break even point will come much much sooner.

IMO

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/21/13 11:26 AM

Both my sons drive Priuses and I drive a Honda Civic Hybrid... John gets about 50 mpg and does NOT alter his driving habits, Nathan get about 60 mpg and does (slow acceleration, coasts a lot, etc), and I get around 40 mpg and have to baby the sh-t outta mine.. Toyota is the king of hybrids right now. I wanted a Prius but my niece talked me into a Honda (rated 50**, but doesn't come close). cry

So if you really want mileage and are buying a hybrid for it, go Toyota !! grin

**Honda was later sued over this in a class action suit. BTW Honda had to replace my batteries after 35K - cost them $3,000, me nada !! But it says to me they aren't Toyota when it comes to hybrids !! Prius has been around since the early 1990s (in Japan) and introduced in USA after 2000 sometime. Long track record....

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/21/13 01:00 PM

Can't say enough good things about the Camry. Great city car and extremely comfortable highway car. Good thing because we put on a lot of highway miles.

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/21/13 02:07 PM

I read somewhere that 70-80% of all Camreys built after 1990 are still on the road? Seems high, but w Toyota could be !! shocked

And how many times have you had a breakdown ? Lemme guess !!! 0 !!??
Didn't know I was a mind reader did ya !! laugh
wooo--weeee--ohhhhh !

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/21/13 03:13 PM

You and Kreskin must be cousins!

Zero breakdowns or major repairs, on both the Camry and Prius.
I would recommend either of those cars to anybody and feel good about it.

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/21/13 06:31 PM

I had a 1984 Camery. I think this was the second year for camery. On one trip from Dodge to Kansas City back to Marion, ks, I stopped for gas. The odometer read exactly 480miles. I filled up with exactly 12.0 gal. Doesn't takea math major to figure that mileage.

But not a lot of power. Several times I had it in the Rockies in Colorado where on some stretches I would have to gear down to first gear. Cripes, I had bicyclists passing me.

All in all I would have wanted more power.

Now they have quite a bit. My brother has a 2012 model, I think. Loves it. Well, his wife loves it. He drives a big Ford quad cab 350 pickup with dual wheels.

Dave
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/22/13 07:40 AM

Bought a 1970 Datsun (remember those before the name change to Nissan) 1200 series...new from the dealer...it got a whopping 50mpg and would run at 8O mph all day long with out a hitch of course it took all day to get up to 80 mph, gas was under 50 cents a gallon back then, so most people were not worried about economy ...until the gas crunch on the east coast in 1973...I was glad I had my little green Datusn. Later I bought another Datsun 1200 used and ran that one til it fell apart too. seems the bodys were prone to rust

Re: Telsa electric cars - 01/22/13 04:59 PM

Yep remember those - great little pickups and yes very prone to rust more so on an island.