Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes?

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/12/13 08:16 AM

With LCD iMacs hitting the $100 range, it is time for me to retire my 1999 G3 iMacs in my outbuildings. They are very handy for iTunes and using the web but are pretty slow.

Although the outbuildings are heated and insulted, I only run the heat when I am in there. As a result, they will get pretty cold and during the summer can get rather warm. The CRT iMacs never had a problem.

Also, I would not mind moving an older LCD TV in one out building too.

Do these LCD panels handle the cold and heat okay?

Also, I can get a G4 iMac for about $50-75, G5 iMac for about $125, and a first generation Intel 17" iMac for about $175-200. Is it worth the extra money for the newer ones?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/13/13 11:57 AM

LCDs can handle below zero temps for storage. Like any electronics though they should be a minimum temp to run, and of course condensation while warming up.
Posted by: carp

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/13/13 12:22 PM

Thanks I'll keep that in mind - just kidding laugh

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/13/13 12:26 PM

The G4 are too slow for a lot nowadays. I would get the Intel model, not just for the great speed bump but as you have seen besides software limitations, most is Intel only anymore, internet has it's hiccups now on PPC. G5 can go to Leopard. The late 2006 models were the Core 2 Duo and can run Lion, the first two 2006 Core Duo models are stuck on Snow Leopard.

Make sure the LCD display doesn't have any lines when lit up, both the G5 and early Intel models had problems with that. Apple replaced them under an as needed recall.

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/13/13 12:27 PM

Cute. What's this cold weather you speak of he says. laugh

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/13/13 12:41 PM

Its 75 F, is that cold enough - laugh

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/13/13 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Its 75 F, is that cold enough - laugh
Okay, double middle fingers. smirk

Did I make myself clear?

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/13/13 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
The G4 are too slow for a lot nowadays. I would get the Intel model, not just for the great speed bump but as you have seen besides software limitations, most is Intel only anymore, internet has it's hiccups now on PPC. G5 can go to Leopard. The late 2006 models were the Core 2 Duo and can run Lion, the first two 2006 Core Duo models are stuck on Snow Leopard.

Make sure the LCD display doesn't have any lines when lit up, both the G5 and early Intel models had problems with that. Apple replaced them under an as needed recall.

I found a late 2006 Core 2 Duo that should work for pretty cheap. Did the lcd problem hit the late 2006 model?

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/13/13 07:52 PM

W860xxxxxx serial line.

As little as you'll be running them I wouldn't worry as long as they are solid by now.

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/16/13 04:18 PM

I really lucked out on two newer iMacs. One was a G5 but needed a hard drive...$25!

The other is late 2006 Core 2 Duo for $125 that did not have mouse and keyboard but looked new and had the good serial number for the LCD.

I placed the Intel one in my fitness room. I have it running Lion and is a HUGE improvement over the G3 iMac. I will have it running my outdoor wireless speakers in addition to iTunes and a fitness log (which I have seven years worth of data to transfer!). I still have the QuickSilver running 24/7. I probably will be moving in an old LCD TV next:

In my barn/workshop, I placed the G5. I mainly use it for iTunes and to use the internet when needed. It is also quite an improvement over the G3...at least I can surf rather fast. I updated it to Leopard. The issue I ran into there is a lot of Apple's PPC items are no longer supported via software update (like iTunes) and I had to download them separately:

The old (literarily) but heated and drive in workshop:

I also am able to use Remote Desktop to update and control these as needed...a nice benefit when doing lots of updates at once.

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/16/13 04:41 PM

Cool,

Funny how the iMacs look almost squared ?

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/16/13 04:52 PM

They are both the white 17" models. I have a newer 27" one at work and I never used a white iMac before. They actually look pretty decent in person although I like my newer model better.

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/16/13 08:23 PM

Great deal, coming up in the world. grin

Here's a hacked plug-in for PPC machines for sites that insist on Flash 11, it fakes them into thinking 10 is 11.

http://gesplus.com/files/FlashPPC.zip

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/17/13 06:12 AM

Great deal, coming up in the world. grin

Here's a hacked plug-in for PPC machines for sites that insist on Flash 11, it fakes them into thinking 10 is 11.

http://gesplus.com/files/FlashPPC.zip

Thanks. It is easy to forget that PPCs are what, at least 6-7 years old. The fact that my 2000 QuickSilver is still running 24/7 with only one hard drive failure during this time is amazing.

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/21/13 05:43 PM

The final test piece is in place.

I had an extra LG 32" LCD TV that ended up fitting just right. Tonight and the next couple of days will be a great test as it will be around zero each night with the room probably getting down to 40 or so with the heat off.

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/21/13 06:29 PM

I ran Tech Tool Pro 6 on both the Intel and G5 iMac. The hard drives were the same size.

It was amazing to note that the G5 took close to twice the time to finish the same entire test (hard drive test taking the longest).

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/21/13 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Biggerfoot
[quote=Jim_]I ran Tech Tool Pro 6 on both the Intel and G5 iMac. The hard drives were the same size.

It was amazing to note that the G5 took close to twice the time to finish the same entire test (hard drive test taking the longest).
The processor/logic board speed was the difference, they are both 1.5Gps SATA HD bus speeds so it wasn't the HD speed.

BTW 40 degrees isn't too bad, they are rated at somewhere around 50-55 probably. I thought it may get to freezing or below.

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/22/13 05:20 AM

Well, I guess I should state it will get to 40 degrees if I do not skip an exercise day...then it would get much colder. My barn workshop with the G5 iMac is probably about 30 degrees right now with it being 5 right now. I would say if I skip today, it would be in the high 20s to lower 30s the next day.

I have to say, I am enjoying having an up-to-date iMac and all of the network benefits. I have the Intel one using Time Machine via my network and I can even use the iSight camera via Remote Desktop to make sure I turned the lights out or whatever.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/22/13 12:19 PM

You seem so talented with stuff, etc., any chance you could do some do it yourself things that capture heat/electricity from the sun to keep the buildings from getting to sub zero temps? wink I mean, not to get the buildings to 68 degs but to take the chill off?

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/22/13 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen

You seem so talented with stuff, etc., any chance you could do some do it yourself things that capture heat/electricity from the sun to keep the buildings from getting to sub zero temps? wink I mean, not to get the buildings to 68 degs but to take the chill off?

Both my fitness room and work shop are in larger, uninsulated outbuildings. I do have windows with storm windows in the rooms but that is about it. I am all electric where I am which is fine but it limits me to my heat sources unless I want to spend lots if money.

It is not all that bad to get the rooms up to 50 degrees. I have both the heaters on remotes so I can turn on the heat an hour or so before it is needed from my house. 50 degrees seems to be comfortable to either exercise or work. Today, with it being under 10 degrees, it took only about an hour to have it over 50 degrees and then I was able to turn the heat off.

I have nine zones of heat in my house that are controlled separately. It is pretty nice this time of year as I only heat the areas I need in the morning and evenings. Not too bad for an old farm house!
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Can Older LCD iMacs and TV Handle Temp Changes? - 01/22/13 06:54 PM

Right! An old farm house. I remember seeing pictures of it a while back.

Sounds like a great heating system.

.smile