Promised Land -- Zero Dark Thirty

Posted by: KateSorensen

Promised Land -- Zero Dark Thirty - 01/11/13 08:38 PM

Promised Land was good. Entertaining movie that kept my attention. I would not see it again or buy the DVD. Wouldn't vote it any awards either.

Zero Dark Thirty. Saw it. Have had time to think about it and am puzzled. I am nearly a pacifist. I know, I know, I enjoy owning guns and going to shoot at targets, but as a "sport."

I'd prefer to use the U.N. and peace talks over violent confrontations leading to wars, killings, occupations, etc. I am totally against water boarding.

But -- I was totally caught up in Zero Dark Thirty. The movie and story telling was excellent. Acting excellent. Sets and special effects really convincing. The first words on the screen stated something like the movie was "based" on actual events. Said nothing about being a docu-drama.

Water boarding was a big part of the movie. Somewhere in the movie I believe we hear someone, maybe "O" saying we're against such methods for getting intelligence.

I guess I personally believe the U.S. used questionable methods to obtain intelligence since 9/11. I don't know exactly when or where or how much. I wish we had not. But . . .

It is long, but since it was engrossing, I didn't fall asleep wink It cost $20M to make and so far has made under $5M. I would nominate it for a whole slug of awards, but I'd vote for Lincoln, probably.

Just read this and I didn't know it hadn't been widely released yet:

Quote:
Box-office observers say Zero Dark Thirty -- about the decadelong hunt for Osama bin Laden -- could gross $23 million to $24 million for the weekend, if not more. The movie, which has been playing in a limited run since Dec. 19, earned five Oscar nominations Thursday, including one for best picture.

Posted by: MrB

Re: Promised Land -- Zero Dark Thirty - 01/13/13 08:41 AM

Will see as many of the best pictures as I can. Will Vette them out better ths year. Three of the group last year, not only were not best picture material, but simply awful films IMHO.

I can say now that I don't think Life of Pi is my cup of tea. It's not worth my 3.14159265359... Cents worth

Dave
Posted by: steveg

Re: Promised Land -- Zero Dark Thirty - 01/13/13 03:00 PM

Saw Zero Dark today. Liked it a lot. Odd how OBL's death was almost anti-climactic until it sinks in. Special meaning for me, having been there on 9/11.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Promised Land -- Zero Dark Thirty - 01/13/13 05:19 PM

Saw Promised Land and you're right it was good, worthwhile, but a 1 time event.

Haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty yet. Wife's not interested, will have to wait. Like to see it though ! Damon was good but not exceptional.

Did see Lincoln and Les Mise'rables - both great. I suspect 1 of those will get BP Oscar. Saw Life of Pi- good but not BP. BUT there's many I haven't seen yet. Would like to see Argo & Beasts of the Southern Wild... not sure about the others.

WTF did they nominate SO many for BP ? - I thought it was limited to 5 !! crazy
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Promised Land -- Zero Dark Thirty - 01/15/13 06:01 AM

I saw Zero Dark Thirty after I read the Mark Owen book, No Easy Day - one of the Navy Seals that was on the team that went on the mission. The movie was so disappointing. Not because it was wrong or added Hollywood fluff, but because it left so much out.

For instance, the scene after they killed BL and the seal took the gun off the shelf in his room. In the movie, it was a split second that meant nothing. But in the book, it's significant in that BL sent many of his troops to die with guns and as human bombs, but after the chopper crashed in the compound, he had ample time to load his AK47 and defend himself. Instead, he left the gun on the shelf unloaded and refused to defend himself. It just goes to show what a coward he was.

If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it. I got the audio book (6 CDs).