Flu Shots

Posted by: Mike

Flu Shots - 01/11/13 07:16 AM

I have never had a flu shot in my life, and I've never had the flu.
And before you assume I live the life of a hermit and avoid any contact with humans (or similar), wrong!
grin But I do take all the recommended precautions (e.g.: hand washing, etc.).
A couple days ago I finally gave in to the constant warnings on TV, and the constant nagging by family members and got my first flu shot.
This morning our paper reports they're running out of vaccine.
Did you get your flu shot this year?
They're calling it a serious epidemic in Chicago!
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 08:57 AM

Got it back when the new batch came out. This is the first time I've gotten one in about 20 years. From what I hear, it was a good decision!
Posted by: MrB

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 09:38 AM

Iv never had a flu shot. Usually I do okay with that. Of course, I don't know what will happen ths year

Dave
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 10:20 AM

I live with a lab technologist, she pretty much insists on the shot.
Posted by: Papa

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 02:27 PM

I always get a flu shot. I think that it is usually considered to be 62% effective and that is good enough odds for me. I haven't had the flu in maybe 10 years.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 02:28 PM

Mr B. as you age, Please consider getting one... I know you don't live in a congested area. However, you're very vulnerable as you get older... most deaths are Srs and very young kids...

We DO NOT want to lose you to something that's highly preventable !! wink

(just watchin' your back, big guy !) grin

We always got ours free at CDC However now retired - this year we got them one day we were at WalMart. $25 !! and BC/BS paid for it, cost us $0 !!!

Posted by: drjohn

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 03:07 PM

I got a flu shot this year for the first time. There was a drive through program sponsored by our hospital a while back. Got the shot without leaving my car. cool

And medicare paid for it. smile
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 03:38 PM

This is the first year in quite a few that I've missed getting a flu shot. Both my wife and daughter are required to have theirs since they are health care professionals, and my granddaughters have had their shots. I haven't had the flu in over 30 years. Once is quite enough, though. Hopefully, I'll get by this year without getting infected.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 05:22 PM

I've been getting one for the last few years, but then my immune system is strangely compromised (specifically prone to viruses). I got the swine flu a few years ago, and then the norovirus. Very happy to have some potential protection.
Posted by: carp

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 05:50 PM

I'm like you I never gotten sick in over 10 years . Except for this year which I got the stomach flu the day before new years. The shot would have not prevented that anyway ?

Starting from this year I am planing to get shots , mainly since my new gal works in retail (fine jewelry) so she is always touching other people hands . Be stupid not to get the shots.. Just waiting for one of the stores here who give out shots for dirt cheap like CVS Pharmacies.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 05:57 PM

My understanding is that the virus goes from host to host so many times and gets mutated that the inoculation is probably not effective for the for the way the strain has mutated.

I never get the shot
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 06:31 PM

Never get flu shots,well I did once and that was the year I was the sickest with a virus than I had ever been....tried to get a shot this year but the VA said I should not.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
Never get flu shots,well I did once and that was the year I was the sickest with a virus than I had ever been....tried to get a shot this year but the VA said I should not.

Vaccines only contain dead material from the virus, so they can't infect you. Your immune system kicks in to build antibodies against it and that is what makes you "feel" sick.. your body is not at 100%.
The idea here is that if you get a shot and then right away (within a week or so) you get the flu, then it's because you already had the flu virus and your immune was getting hit by the vaccine too. Thus the double whammy.
Either way, whatever the explanation, it happened to me also, and was quite ugly.

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 08:04 PM

Jim - FYI

The influenza virus can go from humans to pigs to birds (ducks etc) and back. Usually between species it mutates or changes. Every 7 years or so there are significant changes, with major changes every 21 years. Another problem is there are many varieties and each year a few become dominant among humans. The CDC screens the dominate strains in the population and picks the top 3 to make the new vaccine each year (they're doing it for 2013 fall flu season as we speak). So a few years ago H1N1 was the biggie , now I think it's H2N5. Next year?? who knows?
A minor flu outbreak like we have now can cost us about $20-25 billion in medical bills and lost business productivity. A major one even more ! So not only from a public health standpoint but just from the economics, you can see how important it is to keep this controlled. Your tax $ at work at CDC. grin

Where do they get their names? The H stands for hemagglutinin, and N - neuraminidase. These are 2 antigens (proteins) that are on the surface of the virus. Hemagglutinin causes RBCs to clump. Neuraminidase breaks down tissue chemicals and helps it to spread. The mutations constantly occur in these 2 antigens.

If you get vaccinated with H1N1, the antibodies you make will NOT protect you from H2N5 virus... this is why people should get a new shot each year... either the virus or the dominant strain changes and likely last years vaccine won't protect you if this happens (highly likely). IF you get vaccinated you make antibodies that attach to the H & N proteins and block attachment to your cells. IF the virus can't attach, they can't infect, and can't replicate to make you sick !

Historical fact: An estimated 20 million people died in the 5 years of WWI. In 1918 1919 there was a flu epidemic that killed 30-40 million people around the world. One of the largest pandemics in history. It rivaled the plague pandemics of the 1300s !! More people died of the flu those 2 years than in the 5 of WWI !!

BTW I love the drive through vaccination program (above).. gives new meaning to "drive by shotting" !!

Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Flu Shots - 01/11/13 08:11 PM

I get one every year. I'm usually not a germ freak but last two times I went to the movie, before I left the theatre I went to the restroom and washed my hands really good before using my butt to open all the doors out and to my car. After going to my neighbors, I wash my hands cause she has two school age kids she has in and out.

I can hardly bear the thought of gut puking sickness stuff.

If there ever was a year to seriously consider getting the shot -- this is that year!!

Posted by: SleeveTugger

Re: Flu Shots - 01/12/13 04:12 AM

I've gotten the flu shot the past couple years, and am glad I did. With grandkids going to daycare, and an elderly Mom I figure it's the least I can do to try to help prevent the spread of illness. I do not want to get sick.

I had outpatient surgery on my eyes yesterday and the whole flu thing was really on my mind. I seriously considered cancelling the surgery. The other thing that weighed heavy on my mind was Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Getting a little paranoid in my old age I guess........*G*.
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Flu Shots - 01/12/13 08:59 AM

With you all the way on hand washing Kate. You really can't do it too often.
Also very careful to never put my fingers near my eyes, nose or mouth unless very clean.
So far so good.
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Flu Shots - 01/13/13 02:28 AM

They say if you get the shot your chance are about 62% that if you receive the flu it will be much weaker than not getting it.I have not gotten the shot either where I live you never really get the flu.
Posted by: carp

Re: Flu Shots - 01/13/13 12:38 PM

Not pointed at anyone.

Humm, "Shaking Hands" sorta what you do when meeting new people and more so from a business stand point.

I myself - utterly hates this need to shake hands - > in fact , it gives me the jibbers and I then go and wash my hands every time.

One part of the American culture that I wish would vanish.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Flu Shots - 01/14/13 05:37 PM

Never had the flu or a flu shot. Matter of fact, eons ago, I had to leave college for a few weeks to come home to take care of my parents & 2 siblings because they all had the Hong Kong flu. Never caught it myself.

I have not had a cold, sore throat or the sniffles since 1968. I don't fix what ain't broken......

Re: Flu Shots - 01/14/13 05:49 PM

laugh

Maybe you should sell some of your blood serum for antibodies !! wink
Cha- CHING !! $$$$ grin
Posted by: Nana

Re: Flu Shots - 01/15/13 08:49 AM

laugh

Re: Flu Shots - 01/15/13 05:15 PM

LOL,,, ya cracks me up !!! laugh