Apple TV

Posted by: yoyo52

Apple TV - 01/05/13 09:23 AM

Just got an Apple TV as a gift. It's a nice little gadget--tiny! I'm going to use it for a while and figure out whether i can do without cable.
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Apple TV - 01/05/13 10:00 AM

Been toying with that idea.
Keep us posted.
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Apple TV - 01/05/13 11:21 AM

Cable free for 2 years now.
Whatever ATV doesn't offer, the internet does.
Happy Birthday, Yoyo!
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Apple TV - 01/05/13 12:09 PM

I can not imagine my life without Turner Classic Movies!! I know classic movies are around in limited numbers on the internet, but I will just have to pay through the teeth to support my addiction for some time longer smile

Re: Apple TV - 01/05/13 12:18 PM

I've said it many times, but TCM is the only thing I REALLY miss…
Posted by: steveg

Re: Apple TV - 01/07/13 04:05 AM

Well, you may have just saved me a few bucks a month on my cable bill. Don't know if I'll be looking into Apple TV just yet, but your post prompted me to take a closer look at my service. I have both Standard TV (70 channels) and Digital Choice (200+ channels). I watch fewer than 20, all but one of which are available on Standard! So I'm calling Time Warner today to see how much I can save if I drop the Digital Choice option. The only hitch might be a cancellation fee, since I renewed my contract last November. It may be a wash, but sure worth investigating.

Re: Apple TV - 01/07/13 07:18 AM

I'm still working out the on-line options. The real problem is not getting PBS--we love to watch the Newshour, for one thing. On-line you can get the Newshour one day late, and maybe that'll be good enough. The same goes for the Daily Show and the Colbert Report--one day late. We do watch some other commercial stuff, but those are available from iTMS for a fee. Adding up all the fees, it's a heck of a lot less than a year's worth of cable.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Apple TV - 01/07/13 08:25 AM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
I'm still working out the on-line options. The real problem is not getting PBS
Do you have a local broadcast station for PBS? Get a cheap antenna for the TV. Those HD martian looking things with all of the dials and buttons are a waste of money, a regular rabbit ears usually works just fine.

You may be surprised what broadcast TV has to offer now even on the other channels. Our area stations have at least two channels each now.

Re: Apple TV - 01/07/13 11:41 AM

From what I've read, HD signals depend on line of sight, and I'm basically in a valley surrounded by mountains, so I doubt that we get any line of sight signal at all. But, if I can find a cheap enough antenna to test out, I'll do it.

Re: Apple TV - 01/07/13 11:41 AM

Remember, you can stream everything on your computer to ATV (with Mountain Lion).
Been watching Stewart & Colbert (day late) and pbs.org for quite a while now.

Re: Apple TV - 01/07/13 12:15 PM

Remember you may not need some fancy "HDTV antenna." Technically there is no such thing. It's just two pieces of metal grabbing electrical impulses out of the air. Some do have boosters. A cheapo $10-15 one will tell you if you can get any kind signal then if you can you may need to get one with a booster. Make sure the store has a return policy if it won't work, most bigger ones do.

The HD signal is somewhat directional, you may find moving it just a few feet will make a difference. It is kind of "line of sight" but not like satellite TV.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Apple TV - 01/07/13 12:20 PM

Yoyo... use this site to see what you can get..if anything.
Check your address... and then add an antenna.
www.tvfool.com

You can always put a small HD antenna on a taaalll. pole.. or run it up a tree.
They make top of the line ones for 80-100 bucks that come with a remote to turn the antenna. They aren't like the old antennas where you had to turn the whole pole, it's a small motor inside now that turns.

Their forum has quite a bit of knowledge for rookies and experts... what antennas are best.. how to use older equipment.. which splitters are best, etc.
You can spend hours trying to determine which antenna is best... or just ask these guys.

http://forum.tvfool.com/index.php

I bought my Mom a $40 antenna (indoor) from Home depot and it works great. Of course, we are in a major metropolitan area... but I'm just saying if you can get to work... it works great.
Generally, if you can get the signal... it will be great.

Re: Apple TV - 01/07/13 03:19 PM

Thanks for that link, Nuc. I checked, and what I thought turns out to be the case. There are only three stations that I have any hope of getting, and those are not stations we ever watch. I'll see what the on-line options are. If Acumowchek can live with it, maybe we can too--it hangs on my wife's reaction.

Re: Apple TV - 01/07/13 03:56 PM

Quote:
If Acumowchek can live with it

Netflix helps blush

Yeah, I was going buy an outdoor antennae, but between that sight that showed I had a 4 channel possibility, and RadioShack actually talking me out of it shocked , I passed.

Re: Apple TV - 01/07/13 04:02 PM

Yeah--we have Netflix, so that's ok.

Re: Apple TV - 01/08/13 04:06 AM

Checked with the Time Warner. My bundle discounts the services I have, so if I unbundle and drop the Digital portion, the discount goes away and I'd pay almost as much for the Standard alone. But the rep told me that if I swap the set-top boxes for cable cards, I can save a/b $8/mo. per set. The downside is no onscreen guide or OnDemand capability. But their iPhone app has the program guide, and I don't use OnDemand. Neither of my TVs are cable-ready, though, so for now it's a moot point. Status quo for me for now... frown

Re: Apple TV - 01/08/13 07:31 AM

I hate the way cable companies price their products. We get and pay for hundreds of channels, but watch fewer than 10 of them. frown

Re: Apple TV - 01/08/13 05:46 PM

I found this site today checking into my channel choices. I don't know if takes into account your valley but there it is.

PBS here has 2 sub-channels along with the main.

Re: Apple TV - 01/08/13 06:00 PM

Thanks, Jim--this utility makes my situation even worse. I really think that if we decide to do without cable we'll have to depend on the web.

Re: Apple TV - 01/08/13 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Thanks, Jim--this utility makes my situation even worse.
Glad to help. smirk

Re: Apple TV - 01/09/13 04:00 AM

You could always just watch the fireplace for entertainment.

[bs]True story:[/bs] I remember when I was just a kid, my dad brought home the first color fire in our village! Everyone else was still burning the black & white kind. laugh

Re: Apple TV - 01/09/13 08:00 AM

You had color fire? Wow! You guys must have been tech nerds from early days.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Apple TV - 01/09/13 08:57 AM

I had to walk up-hill in the snow to find color fire.

Re: Apple TV - 01/09/13 10:58 AM

Oh ya, baby. Did all my cave paintings in Photoshop. Version -10000.02.05.cool

Re: Apple TV - 01/09/13 10:58 AM

Bull pucky. Snow hadn't been discovered yet. >:p
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Apple TV - 01/09/13 12:48 PM

You guys had fire...???
Posted by: MrB

Re: Apple TV - 01/09/13 01:00 PM

We did color have fire but the only wheels we had in our clan were square stone ones. They were very uncomfortable. My dad made some that were much softer but ddnt last long. They were made out of mud so lost tread quite quickly. They also tended to pick up road kill easily when the rolled over it. Tho some was quite tasty

Dave
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Apple TV - 01/09/13 08:42 PM

¡sɹɐıl ƃuıʞɔnɟ llɐ ǝɹ,noʎ

Re: Apple TV - 01/10/13 04:13 AM

See what happens when you flip your type upside down, wise guy? The dots fall off the i's. smirk

Re: Apple TV - 01/10/13 04:15 AM

We were early adopters, dontcha know. grin