Moving

Posted by: Pirate

Moving - 12/28/12 02:45 PM

May be off line for a while, moving into a high rise apartment complex over the next few days...and they do not have wifi, so I will have to figure out an ISP for me,
got one dial up left in town, phone company, thats about it
got a 7th floor corner apt with a good view and lots of
windows
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Moving - 12/28/12 03:17 PM

So, where are you putting the garden?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Moving - 12/28/12 04:04 PM

Do they offer internet access through an ethernet cable? If so you can add wireless/wifi. If not you'll need to get your own internet access like you mentioned.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Moving - 12/28/12 04:18 PM

No place for a garden, but I figure I can put in a few tomato plants in a pot inside. The building has cable tv, which offers internet...except in my building, something about the association not voting it in, good thing is the cable is only 8 dollars a month for 60 channels. Looking into phone company bundle,
phone long distance and internet
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: Moving - 12/28/12 04:45 PM

Congratulations!
"Movin' on up!"
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Moving - 12/28/12 05:01 PM

Quote:
Looking into phone company bundle,
See if they want to charge you extra monthly for wireless capability. If they do you can get an inexpensive wireless router for around $30 give or take.

Good luck with the move.
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Moving - 12/29/12 11:52 AM

Good luck with the move!

Sounds like a great view.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Moving - 12/29/12 12:10 PM

I also live in a high rise - 7th floor. View is spectacular!!!!!

My complex does not have wifi either. However, there is really no need for it because there is free wifi among the various businesses in my town which I piggy back on. Matter of fact, when my contract is up with FIOS in Feb, I am dropping the "internet" portion of my bundled services. Just keeping TV & phone. I haven't used my isp for internet service in over 6 months.
I've also wondered if the fact that I am so high up, I can get all the free & unlocked/unsecured wifi signals I want? Or my Airport Extreme & FIOS router can snatch up signals at a distant? confused I always have no less than 5 bars from wifi signals from places over 2 miles from my apt building!!!

Have you checked to make sure you don't have free wifi access? Could be the reason why your building does not have it. It doesn't need it!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Moving - 12/29/12 12:13 PM

Since you are so high up you might want to drop cable...subscribe to netflix for 8 bucks a month and get a OTA antenna and receive dozens of hi def channels for free. Check your network availability here.

www.tvfool.com

I know several people who done this and while they don't get Premium channels anymore.. they save over $50-$100 a month.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Moving - 12/29/12 12:29 PM

LOL

I got a 9" digital tv for Christmas. I can get every digital channel known to man in my area and quite a few outside my area since I live in a tri-county state. Living high up helps too! You're right about that. Your link was in the user manual. hehehehe

I had already dropped my cable premium channels last year since I can get them all for free on the internet. whistle Right now I just have the basic channels along with a few others which I chose a la carte.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Moving - 12/29/12 02:29 PM

We can't get anything at all OTA. We have Mount Penn directly to our east and an assortment of other mountains to the north, and everything that's on air comes from north (Allentown) or east (Philly). Even our radio reception sucks--or rather, we don't get any radio reception other than the crappy stuff that's aired in my town. I wish I could get rid of cable. frown
Posted by: carp

Re: Moving - 12/31/12 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Quote:
Looking into phone company bundle,
See if they want to charge you extra monthly for wireless capability. If they do you can get an inexpensive wireless router for around $30 give or take.

Good luck with the move.

Our building only offers free (basic cable and cable phone) - everything else is an upgrade in which the resident has to pay for if it is available. <-- this is not an Association thingy , rather more like a Developer contract deal , with whatever provider, that gave the developer the best deal -> We are locked in for 5 years with cable under the developers contract. Verizon , AT&T are completely locked out for 5 years.

Mind you that after 5 years the Association will take over the older contract and make their own deals with any provider , they may choose. Or they can make it open for any media provider but you would certainly lose any discounted basic service that you enjoy now.