Well, I'll be!

Posted by: steveg

Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 06:53 AM

We're actually getting a real winter storm here in Day-uhn! Fairly heavy wind-driven snow, mixed with sleet (even had some thunder)! I doubt we'll get more than 5 or 6 inches when it's over. But this morning we've already had more accumulation than we got all last year.

And oy... do they not know how to handle this stuff here. I had to run out early to replace the washing machine that croaked on Xmas Eve, and cars couldn't get up hills, were sliding through intersections and spinning out on corners. I stopped to help a guy who managed to get his 300 hp Mustang GT hung up on a curb. Showed him how to rock his way out of the spot and then watched with amusement as he gunned it up the hill and got sideways all over again. eek
Posted by: Mike

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 07:13 AM

Yup, this winter began almost on time! Of course, in my neighborhood that means 'freezing rain' for a few hours, then thick, heavy snow plastering the windshield! About four inches of that superslick stuff on the ground. Some areas here got twice as much.
I had no idea what 'freezing rain' is until we moved to SW Illinois. We called it 'sleet'....

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 07:23 AM

There's actually a difference btwn sleet and freezing rain. Who'd a thunk? confused
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 07:25 AM

Yep! Freezing rain is exactly what it says. Rain that freezes on contact. Nasty stuff!
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 07:30 AM

Missed the heavy snow last night, did get what they call a dusting, wet and heavy. roads clear, temps near freezing...20 miles away
a huge ice storm, 100,000 without power
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 10:12 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
We're actually getting a real winter storm here in Day-uhn! Fairly heavy wind-driven snow, mixed with sleet (even had some thunder)! I doubt we'll get more than 5 or 6 inches when it's over. But this morning we've already had more accumulation than we got all last year.

I am in the north of I-70 belt that is expecting the heavier snow. I looks like they will be declaring a Level Three snow emergency at 3pm today. I did get to close my work place this morning and had the fun of reporting it to all of the local TV stations.

I guess if I want to sleep in tomorrow, I can close again tomorrow!
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 06:18 PM

No more snow in the forecast for me, until Friday just in time for the weekend
Posted by: carp

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 06:22 PM

It rained here on Christmas day , at lease you folks have a white Christmas. - just kidding , be safe out there.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 07:07 PM

They were billing this one as the Apocalypse Storm, again, not quite. Blizzard warnings, we were supposed to get up to 12 inches in the city. No major power outages or other disasters, nothing for the talking heads to talk about. The storm that coulda been, sigh. All that wasted copy. smirk

The roads here were kind of fubar, it was freezing rain and sleet in the early AM, made drive time fun I guess. From what I could see out my cozy warm window, at sunrise it warmed a couple of degrees, and the UV from what got through the clouds helped the ice a little then came a mix of rain sleet and snow with a few hours of snow as the last act.

My ass was planted today, I'd planned on today off anyway. I just got back in from shoveling now that it's over, it was some slush covered by a couple of inches or so of snow.

When I was more of a kid we used to have long cold winters here you'd be proud of, things have changed the last 20 years or so.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 08:09 PM

We drove top jolly today and will drive back on Saturday, when the next storm is due. It started as snow but turned to rain as we were on the road. Heavy rain. And wind up over 60 mph. A mess in the big city but that's ok.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 08:45 PM

You be careful. That stuff can get you bass ackward in a hurry.

I hate driving in the winter when it's bad

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/26/12 10:26 PM

So I got a hankering to see some cars sliding in snow. This one had 3 and a half million views. The accompanying description looked good too.

Quote:
Uploaded on Jan 21, 2012
the video starts out slow but picks up, there are 3 curb hits, one 360, about 6 accidents, 3 cars in yards, and lots of cars out of control. Utah snow storm. Even after the drivers were warned not to go down the hill by people at the top and cops.

I had some good laughs. God will forgive me, I hope, but it seems no one was hurt. Just stupid! wink Things pick up after two minutes into the video.

Re: Well, I'll be! - 12/27/12 03:29 AM

I'm guessing you got more in Columbus than we got in Dayton. Looks like we got 4 inches, give or take an inch. But wet and heavy. Enough to keep me from my morning and evening walks yesterday, so instead of waiting for the plow, I shoveled my own driveway for exercise last night.