The Queen’s English

Posted by: keymaker

The Queen’s English - 12/25/12 09:58 AM

I was struck by this example of the Queen’s English in her Christmas message containing a form of words that would have been incorrect if spoken by anyone else:

"This past year has been one of great celebration for many. The enthusiasm which greeted the Diamond Jubilee was, of course, especially memorable for me and my family. It was humbling that so many chose to mark the anniversary of a duty which passed to me 60 years ago.”

Queen’s Christmas Message

Anyone identifying the expression in question gets a bonus point!

Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year!

km
Posted by: MrB

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/25/12 01:00 PM

Couldn't catch it.

Dave
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/25/12 02:36 PM

I'll take a stab and say it's "a duty which passed to me 60 years ago.”

With anyone else, the more correct verbiage probably should be "a duty which was passed to me" -- more of a bequeathment from one to another rather than an inherent acquisition of power (or title, or whatever) ...

Anyways, that's my guess =)

Merry Holidays to you, too!
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/25/12 04:11 PM

I wonder... methinks someone passed a duty.

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/25/12 08:45 PM

Yip, I pass a "duty" several times a day whistle

Dave

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/26/12 02:33 AM

I was thinking "me and my family". Those of who aren't monarchs ought properly to say "my family and me." No? Maybe it's me who's wrong.

km
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/26/12 05:50 AM

The Queen is never wrong? wink

I think you may be on to something there.

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/26/12 12:26 PM

Yeah whatever the Queen says automatically enters the English language but no one else is allowed to speak as the monarch if for them it would be grammatically incorrect.

km
Posted by: carp

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/26/12 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: keymaker
I was thinking "me and my family". Those of who aren't monarchs ought properly to say "my family and me." No? Maybe it's me who's wrong.

km

I believe you are correct , the plural before the singular as in (traditional English) ? . However today, both ways are except able.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/26/12 08:13 PM

The jubilee was hers, so I think putting herself first makes sense even though normally one puts references to self in second or final place.

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/26/12 08:49 PM

Interesting thread. This qualifies as to one of those threads which has strange associations I mentioned in Kate's post

Dave
Posted by: katlpablo

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/28/12 02:00 PM

smile

In a Sovereign's English "Me and My Family" [Note capital notation. wink ] would be CORRECT since it is also correct to say in similar order: The Sun and The Planets; and in the same way does God talk of Himself, of The Christ and of the Holy Spirit.

The Queen was right once again and as always, as She can solely be. But alas, BBC-UK failed to adequately write the "quoted" Royal Phrase!

grin
Posted by: lanovami

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/28/12 03:20 PM

As an English teacher (admittedly of non-native speakers) I would let it go, regardless of Who said it or in What context. Not that that's really the point you are addressing, but..
Posted by: lanovami

Re: The Queen’s English - 12/28/12 03:23 PM

Actually, I am more struck by six's interpretation.

If it was passed to her, that means the mantle of sovereignty was passed to her by others, that she needed legitimizing either by the act of her predecessor dying for her, or by intermediaries.

If it simply passed to her, it is something that happens divinely and automatically, like the sun rising, because that is the natural way of things.

It looks rather strange without the "was" except for her. I would probably use a red pen and insert a "was" if I was checking a student's writing.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: The Queen’s English - 01/01/13 07:00 AM

Does anyone else have Me and My Shadow going round their head after reading this?

Happy new year!