Word not in dictionary

Posted by: KateSorensen

Word not in dictionary - 12/24/12 12:01 PM

Just wondering: when I write a word in a post and it is underlined because it is [spelled incorrectly] "not in the dictionary" -- Where is that dictionary? I just added a couple of words and want to know if I can edit that dictionary. tia

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Word not in dictionary - 12/24/12 01:09 PM

Mine is in the Applications folder.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Word not in dictionary - 12/24/12 01:13 PM

The Dictionary.app isn't the same as the dictionary that gets used on Safari--I don't think so, anyways.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Word not in dictionary - 12/24/12 08:23 PM

Ahhh.. did not realize that. tx.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Word not in dictionary - 12/24/12 09:17 PM

If you're on Lion or above go to the Go menu in the Finder. Hold down the Option key and Library will appear in the menu, click on it. Go to the Spelling folder, Control-Click on Local Dictionary, choose Open With/TextEdit. Delete the words you don't want, delete blank lines if any. Do a Save. If it says the Dictionary was changed etc click Save anyway. Reboot the computer for the changes to take hold.

If you're running Snow Leopard or lower the Library folder will be in Macintosh HD/Users/you.

smile
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Word not in dictionary - 12/24/12 09:52 PM

I was pretty sure it could be edited. That was true even a long time ago, and I don't know how far back. But I remembered doing it. At least I thought I remembered. Never can tell anymore what I really remember or just dream up in my head.

Thanks for the info.

We should change your name to Genius Bar Master!!