Jack Reacher this weekend

Posted by: KateSorensen

Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/18/12 10:35 AM

I just read part of a review:

Jack Reacher is an old-fashioned type of guy -- he doesn’t use a cell phone or credit cards, he travels by bus -- and the first film adaptation of one of Lee Child’s Reacher novels has a correspondingly gritty, low-tech, real-muscle appeal. Tom Cruise might not be the 6-foot-5 rock described in the books, but he makes the title role fit him like a latex glove in a winning turn that could spawn a popular new franchise for the star, if public reaction to Christopher McQuarrie’s film is as strong as its fun quotient warrants.

review web page

They postponed an early preview because of Sandy Hook and have pulled one particularly violent trailer.

Posted by: DLC

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/18/12 02:23 PM

Oh Kate admit it- you have the hots for Tom!! laugh

Looks like a good one to me Kate ! Interesting premise.
Posted by: Nana

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/18/12 03:03 PM

Quote:
could spawn a popular new franchise for the star

I sure hope so! I love the MI franchise. Tom is a great action star with is short self.
He also plays a great assassin/contract hit man as he did in the movie Collateral.

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/18/12 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Oh Kate admit it- you have the hots for Tom!! laugh

Looks like a good one to me Kate ! Interesting premise.

Well, I DO like his movies. wink As a person, and because he embraces Scientology, he would be at the bottom of my list. I just watched A Few Good Men yesterday -- Again!

Yeah Nana, I liked Collateral a lot too.

Posted by: MrB

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/19/12 12:53 PM

I have liked several of his movies some not. I certainly wouldn't go see his movies because he was in them.

Liked
Risky Buisness,
Rainman
The Outsiders
Few good men
Far and away. ( have to admit, his bouts as a pugilist were silly, but liked the mie)
War of the Worlds
Top Gun

Hated
Knight and Day
Interview with a vampire
Minority report
Mission impossible. I
Mission impossible II
(Didnt watch the others. Actually didnt watch all of MI II
vanilla sky

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/19/12 12:59 PM

Figured they would change everything around to "fit" him. Probably only a smattering resemblance to Child's "One Shot"

Kinda like they did in The Firm

I'm glad you liked it.

As far as his personal life is with Scientology , things like this don't affect how I likeor dislike actors' films.
For instance, I have liked Lindsey Lohan in several of her movies.

Dave

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/19/12 03:24 PM

I liked The Last Samauri too !!
Hated War of the Worlds.... too hokey !! SFX - super, but story sucked IMO. Original much better !!

My guitar teacher and I were discussing at lunch - Reacher may be BAD timing with the Sandy Hook massacre to have a gun -shoot em up movie come out. we'll see ! blush

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/19/12 07:23 PM

You took your Guitar Teacher to Texas with you!!

Wow!

wink

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/19/12 07:48 PM

If it follows the books line, it will have lots of dealing with snipers. reacher uses information and evidence from an incident where a sniper picks off several so called random civilians to prove the sniper's identity .

Good book. I'm sure the film will be quite a bit astray from it.

Dave
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/20/12 07:31 AM

Watched some trailers on tv,looks interesting may have to go see it when it hits my area. our theatre does not get movies til they have been out for some time

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/22/12 08:04 AM

Saw this trailer

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20483133_20620438,00.html?hpt=hp_t3

I was going to put away my chagrin for their casting Cruise as Reacher and tret itas a separate film, independent of the 13 books I've read with him.

But the trailer has Reacher driving a hot car. Oops, Reacher doesn't have a drivers license . He doesn't like driving. Then they show a scene where he takes on six or so bad guys in a street fight. Completely unbelievable. I just don't know. I probably will watch it if it comes to TV.

They do show Cruise with his shirt off. So that will bring some to watch.

Oh, they really should have had an unknown actor . One that doesn't bring any past baggage in to the film. By Baggage, I don't mean personal but past film exploits.

Dave

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/22/12 01:27 PM

LOL no we went back to Atlanta for my son's graduation from GSU.

I got to see old friends and have a meal with a few. Rob was high on my list !
I took lessons for 12.5 years from him. We're pretty close... plus I got him 3-4 new students during that span.

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/22/12 08:35 PM

Saw Reacher today. It was a movie BASED on the character Reacher in many books by Lee Child.

I loved it! Reacher was very soft spoken, but brilliant/smart/cunning. His fight scenes were very believable. He fought dirty and below the belt in every confrontation. Talented and skillful with his fists, feet, head, elbows, etc. The last fight near the end was with a guy taller/heavier than Cruise, so you could see he suffered and struggled but managed to outsmart the guy.

Since it was "based" on the book's character, it didn't matter that the book guy didn't have a license, the car scenes were as exciting as those by Bullet in San Francisco. Really good special effects. The audience was totally into the chase! We also laughed out loud at the subtle humor many times.

At no time during the movie did my eyes view Cruise as a "shrimp" in stature.

Domestic B.O.: Tom Cruise’s ‘Jack Reacher’ #2,
Judd Apatow’s ‘This Is 40′ #3,
Behind Peter Jackson’s #1 ‘The Hobbit’

If you like good fights, great car races, sort of mystery as to "who done it", and Tom Cruise shirtless wink, see the movie. It's entertaining and out of 5 stars I'll give it 4.

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/22/12 08:49 PM

Oh Kate I think you're . .. . mmm . .. "reaching" !! wink

laugh

I bet it really IS good.

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/22/12 09:02 PM

Try this review:

http://tiny.cc/2m4qpw

It is very interesting. "TOM CRUISE: MIDGET SUPERSPY" smile

"First of all, no one cares how faithful a movie is to your homoerotic supermarket paperback, so shut up unless you want an atomic wedgie. Secondly, that’s called movie magic. If short guys couldn’t play taller guys, we’d get White Men Can’t Jump starring Brendan Fraser and Dikembe Mutumbo."

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/23/12 06:09 AM

I AM looking forward to seeing it. I saw previews weeks ago and thought it interesting. I DO love Cruise when he's spot on !! Looks like this is one of those.

(So spare me the atomic wedgie) laugh
Posted by: Nana

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/23/12 12:22 PM

Lee Child has a cameo in the movie. I think he plays a cop. Thanks for the review.

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/23/12 05:28 PM

Many times, the movies, based on a book doesn't follow the book much. Some times it is way off

Folks who haven't read the books wouldn even notice

My disappointment in hearing, he was staring is that for several years, following the series I've wanted to see it in film. Trying to decide who would be Reacher. So you can see my disappointment.

I had the same consternation, with the movie, Shooter, which was based on one of the first books of Stephen Hunter's series with the character , Bob Lee Swagger. In the book he is a tall lanky middle aged Vietnam veteran sniper. Well, the movie they have him played by Marky Mark. Not at all like the book. Also he's a veteran of the gulf war who was screwed by the military. That and they made the military the bad guy. Not in books it wasn't. Of course, in the film produced during the Bush reign, having a film be anti military was very popular. Fans of the book series felt very much let dwn.

I'm glad you liked the Cruise film. I'm sorry I came off such a jerk here. I was just disappointed.

Dave

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/23/12 05:52 PM

No way my friend Dave is a jerk! Watch your tongue smile.

I do understand some of what you feel about movie vs book. I guess if I felt like you, I would definitely not see a movie version of a book.

And when you suggest that something that happens in a movie could in no way happen in real life, for me that is what movies are all about. Taking my mind on an imiagination trip. No way on earth could Superman pick a girl up and give her a trip across the skys. No way could the Earth Stand Still etc. I like the imagination part of movies. Well, I like that in a book too.

You and I had the experience of radio in it's earliest days. Now that was a medium that would mess with our minds and imaginations. It was really great too. smile I told my sister not too long ago that I feel like I was born and raised in one of the best times of life on this earth. Then I recounted all the kid stuff I use to do and my military experiend, flying all over the U.S. and Hawaii, etc. I still can't believe how lucky I am.

You are one pretty terrific man, father, brother, uncle, and friend, Dave. You express your true feelings and I don't think anyone here would deny you that chance or think lowly of how you feel and your opinions. We're different -- individuals!! smile smile

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/23/12 08:24 PM

Kate, you one special lady smile

Dave

Re: Jack Reacher this weekend - 12/23/12 08:31 PM

Speaking of movies and how one reacts to them. Last night I recorded War Horse. A friend came over to watch it. I didn't get to watch it through Asia was called for some time twice to visit the necessary room. Some times I stop it while I'm away but last night,in respect for my friend, I let it run.

But I saw the last half hour. When the blinded boy finds his horse and subsequently attempts to give him away. I admit to having problems with my eyes watering. Movies can do this to me more often than books.

Dave