iPhone question.

Posted by: steveg

iPhone question. - 12/14/12 02:46 PM

I have my iCloud and my business POP email accounts set up on my iPhone. Both have the same settings for push notifications, and the POP account is set to fetch new data every 15 minutes. When I get an email, I get the alert and banner on the lock screen. But for the past couple of days, I only get notifications for iCloud mail, but no longer for the POP account. I have to open Mail in order for any POP mail to come through on the phone.

I've been reading about similar problems on the Apple support boards, but most posters are referring to their iCloud accounts. And it appears that this is a fairly new wrinkle.

Has anyone else discovered that they're not getting notifications for incoming POP mail?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPhone question. - 12/14/12 04:04 PM

Double check your settings in Settings, Notifications.

Re: iPhone question. - 12/14/12 04:13 PM

Also double check Fetch in Settings, Mail etc, Fetch.

Reboot the phone?

Re: iPhone question. - 12/14/12 04:21 PM

I did all that. If mail has come through, it'll fetch and notify every 15 minutes. But not necessarily when the message is actually sent. I'll give it a fe days to see if Apple corrects it.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: iPhone question. - 12/14/12 05:33 PM

Apple's e-mail notifications on the iPhone have always been hit-or miss, in my experience. Much of the time they work great, but far too often I won't get any unless I actually open the Mail app. This is true of both IMAP and POP accounts I have had ...

I'm going to say it's not you but Apple =P

Re: iPhone question. - 12/14/12 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
I did all that. If mail has come through, it'll fetch and notify every 15 minutes. But not necessarily when the message is actually sent. I'll give it a fe days to see if Apple corrects it.
If it was your iCloud mail I would say yes. If it's your NS POP no, that is all done on the phone only. Apple has no control over non-iCloud POP.

Re: iPhone question. - 12/15/12 03:52 AM

Did some more digging and found that, for the most part, this is SOP and that it's working the way it should. My incoming iCloud mail hits my desktop and iPhone inbox simultaneously. The POP fetches every 15 minutes. I had thought that POP was behaving the same as iCloud, but in retrospect, it was just coincidence that both accounts delivered at the same time in some cases. Ah well, the learning curve continues.

In the meantime, I've installed mobile banking apps for all my accounts, QR Code Reader, DropBox (wifi only enabled for now), GasBuddy, LinkedIn, USPS, and the new Google Maps.