Cable TV lament

Posted by: MrB

Cable TV lament - 12/11/12 12:02 PM

A friend of mind has a favorite show on HGTV, called House Hunters. I have posted here about how scripted it s but still it's pleasant to watch.

But what iLament abouts that HGTV comes from "Home " & "Garden" . There is no "Garden" to it any more. All about finding and remodeling houses. Mostly finding.

I recall, a few years ago, my eldest sister, Juanita, had me set her up with a VCR so she could get channel 66 which was the HGTV at that time. She watched it because itwas full of programs on flowers and like. But no more. In fact none at all.

So sad that the channels have all moved to the reality based programing.

Not only that but so many have the same type of programing. discovery, A&E , TLC, travel, History. All have the same. And through in science channel

So sad

Dave
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/11/12 05:15 PM

Yeah, I don't like it either. The once-upon-a-time promise of variety on cable has not come to fruition and seems to be moving further away all the time.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/11/12 06:20 PM

Switch channels. Read a book. Watch a movie. Call a friend on the phone. grin

I stopped channel surfing years ago, I pick and choose what I watch anymore. Most of a one hour show on Discovery, History, et al can be condensed down into about 5-10 minutes of worthwhile information, the rest is theatre. It's always been like that, but now they have veered towards more reality crap.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/11/12 08:21 PM

Not to mention commercials. We record everything and skip the commercials.

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Jim_
Switch channels. Read a book. Watch a movie. Call a friend on the phone. grin

That's not the issue. I do all those things. But when I watch TV I want to watch something interesting. TLC started as being the Learning Channel. Discovery the same. History used to have History on it. A&E used to have some wonderful programing: remember Masterpiece Theater? Now it has murders she bores. After History went realistic, they brought out History International. Then it was H2. Now it's been all but taken over with aliens, UFOs , ghosts etc Food network went from cooking shows to chopping shows and competition shows.

Dave
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 03:43 AM

Well Dave.. you don't like Hollywood because it doesn't rely on facts and reality.. you don't like reality shows because the reality is that we are stupid....

I think you're just sh!t outta luck. crazy

Maybe you should do audio books. I like those because you can do household chores or anything else you want while being immersed in a story.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 07:37 AM

I like watching ( I say watching but it is more like back ground noise while I am doing something else..kinda multi tasking...) the History channel, Food Network,
TLC, A&E, even learn something once in a while, gave up on CSPAN years ago

When I want to really want to watch something on TV I usually go to AMC, TCM, FX, TVLND for the older movies and TV shows that I dont have to think about too much just watch for the entertainment value.

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 08:17 AM

The only consistently decent network is PBS. Quality shows on science, on history, on the arts. The Newshour tends to try to be so balanced that it gets predictable--if there's one side, by gum there must be another side as well (and never more than two, the good lord forbid). But they get more in depth with news stories than any other TV outlet, and often more than newspapers. And although every now and then they go on fund-raising toots, no commercials.

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 08:59 AM

H2 still has some shows with connections to history. Even some good ones.

Today until prime time they have back to back "Universe" episodes. Followed in prime time into wee hours with apocalypse and Nostradomas stuff.

Thursday it's "Anchients behaving badly" which is somewhat historical. Followed in prime time again with Nostradomas, apocalypse and brad meltzler, all repeated once.

Friday it's UFOs and Anchient aliens all day and evening.

Dave
Posted by: garyW

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 09:09 AM

Every couple of weeks I'll scan through the guide for Palladia, VH1-Classic, PBS and Ovation, and set the DVR to record music documentaries. I've found these to be really informative and a whole lot of fun.

Over the last year I saw a few real gems. Recently the documentary "Mr. Blue Sky - Jeff Lynne" was excellent, as was "Crossfire Hurricane - the early Rolling Stones" and "The Making of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here". Also saw great documentaries on Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Sinatra and the Rat Pack, Billie Holiday, "A Technicolor Dream" (on early Floyd and the 60's London underground scene), The History of Electronic Music, Zappa & The Mothers, Simon & Garfunkle, Dylan. This Friday PBS has a new documentary on the making of Magical Mystery Tour.

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
H2 still has some shows with connections to history. Even some good ones.

Today until prime time they have back to back "Universe" episodes. Followed in prime time into wee hours with apocalypse and Nostradomas stuff.

Thursday it's "Anchients behaving badly" which is somewhat historical. Followed in prime time again with Nostradomas, apocalypse and brad meltzler, all repeated once.

Friday it's UFOs and Anchient aliens all day and evening.

Dave

This will probably taper off after this season... it's cyclical and we are in the Mayan "end of world" period right now....

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 09:49 AM

When do we get Shark Week! ?

laugh

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 09:54 AM

Hard to say now that the election is over...! smile

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 10:34 AM

PBS is ok, except our local PBS TV seems to only have the better shows during their fund raisers...understandable...but it is the only time they air them...leaving the rest of the so so programs for the rest of the year

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 11:18 AM

i never watch Shark Week. I really have a hard time with lawyer.

wink

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 11:58 AM

On my TimeWarner programming, PBS does not broadcast in HD. <sucks> Yet sometimes they have some of the most visually interesting shows, such as any of the Ken Burns documentaries. Is the the case in your area?

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 06:15 PM

I didn't think we got PBS here but a friend told me we did. It's just not called that so didnt catch it.

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 06:24 PM

Yeah Dave, it is called Oregon Public Broadcasting here, WOPB, and mostly the same programs with some local stuff thrown in at different Oregon stations around the state.

On DirecTV channel I have it is called PBS.

Re: Cable TV lament - 12/12/12 07:52 PM

Dave, KOZK in Springfield MO owns KOZJ in Joplin with enough power to reach you...but your cable company may not have it in their lineup. may need an old style air antenna.. KOZK/KOZJ also is on line with PBS programs.