RIP Mr. Brubeck.

Posted by: steveg

RIP Mr. Brubeck. - 12/05/12 02:20 PM

Another legendary talent gone from us.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: RIP Mr. Brubeck. - 12/05/12 02:37 PM

Very sad. We had the good fortune to see/hear him last year during the annual Jazz Festival here in Reading. He was as good as ever.

Re: RIP Mr. Brubeck. - 12/05/12 02:41 PM

Ayup. Saw him and Desmond actually on separate bills eight or so years ago at the Blue Note in The Village.
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: RIP Mr. Brubeck. - 12/05/12 04:18 PM

Sad to see him go, he got me through some godawful times in my teens. I'm confused, though, Steve - Paul Desmond died in the late 70's (I just missed seeing him). Who did you see 8 years ago?

Bluette remains my favourite tune of his. What an amazing duet.
Posted by: garyW

Re: RIP Mr. Brubeck. - 12/05/12 05:48 PM

Other significant losses

Oscar Niemeyer: The architect known for his distinctive and frequently curvy style designed the main buildings of Brazil's capital

Also, a personal one for me.

Evelyn Ackerman was an amazing artist who's had an enormous influence on me for years. My wife and I had the opportunity to meet and have a conversation with her last April. The story of Evelyn & Jerome Ackerman in very much like Ray and Charles Eames, there's lot's of info here.

Posted by: DLC

Re: RIP Mr. Brubeck. - 12/05/12 06:57 PM

Mr Brubeck... Take Five .... you deserve it !

sad indeed !! frown
Posted by: drjohn

Re: RIP Mr. Brubeck. - 12/05/12 06:58 PM

Saw Brubeck,Desmond,Morello and Wright in 1960 or 61 in Chicago. Great performance.

Re: RIP Mr. Brubeck. - 12/05/12 07:00 PM

Well, you see... I see dead people! shocked

DOH! blush I was thinking of Joe Morello Brubecks' drummer. He died last year, I think. He was still sitting in on jams for many years. And hey, sax, drums... they're so much alike, right? (gawd, I'm really startin' to lose it.)

But I just saw him, too, last week! eek