Declaration of Independence is missing

Posted by: NucleusG4

Declaration of Independence is missing - 12/01/12 06:34 AM

I'm a decent fan of Brad Meltzer and his books and TV show Decoded.

The man writes some good stuff and most of it has a basis in actual history.

Imagine my surprise to watch an episode of Decoded about the Declaration of independence and learn all sorts of goodies like the fact that there is a mysterious handprint on the back of it, possibly Thomas Paines who many think had a large part in writing the document. He wasn't present for the signing so many think he wanted to get his John Hancock on the document. (you see what I just did right there whistle).

Ot the fact that the movie National Treasure depicts the document as having a treasure map on the back, it doesn't, BUT, there is a treasure associated with the document, and the Declaration is the key to deciphering the code.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beale_ciphers

There were numerous drafts of the Declaration, then the final draft called the "fair copy" which was used to run off approximately 200 copies (Dunlap broadsides) at night by a 29 y.o. printer. Disbursed to the colonies and 1 sent to England to let them know we were liberating ourselves.
Only a fraction of those copies are known now... 1 of which showed up in recent years in the back of a painting bought for 4 dollars at a flea market. It sold for millions and is now owned by a consortium including Norman Lear.

Or that we celebrate Independence Day on the wrong day. July 2nd we declared our independence, July 4 they approved the document in it's final iteration, August 2nd the document was signed... with final signatures happening in September.

Good reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_history_of_the_United_States_Declaration_of_Independence

Re: Declaration of Independence is missing - 12/01/12 06:59 AM

In the telling of all those aspects I forgot to mention the fact that the "fair copy" final draft is nowhere to be found. We are apparently using a Dunlap broadside.. a copy.
The actual signed Declaration of Independence is... missing.
Possibly destroyed in the printing process...?
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Declaration of Independence is missing - 12/01/12 07:18 AM

I like watching the Brad Meltzer tv shows, lears something every time.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Declaration of Independence is missing - 12/01/12 08:31 AM

I've watched it a few times, but it ranks up there as being too far fetched. Its got aspects too much like thse POS Anchient Alien shows.

They bring in thse experts who manage to run around all over the world "discovering" things that only they have found. That numerous other experts have missed.

Rather like that show on History Channel that ties in the Free Masons and the symbols on the dollar bill and other documents.

There's one show on there that attempts to prove that Jesse James was a member of a secret underground network of southern activists trying to bring back the cause rather than just being the murdering thug he was. To me Occam's razor rings true.

Dave

Re: Declaration of Independence is missing - 12/01/12 10:53 AM

OK... far fetched. They definitely dramatize things... but it's a tv show.

I don't see how it's far fetched when I just corroborated the whole show via Wiki. Wiki has a high accuracy rate.

I just stated all the facts and high lights of the show and it seems to be verifiable.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/treasure/declaration_facts.html

Do you not find it engaging to know that their are numerous copies still unaccounted for and that there is a handprint on the back (they showed photo of that) or that Thomas Paine may have written a large part of it or that we celebrate it on arguably the wrong day or that a copy recently turned up at a flea market?????

But I guess the show attempts to be engaging and a bit dramatic. .. instead of the old dry droning on of History channels "Planes of War" shows of earlier years.

You really are a hard to please old codger, aintchya?

Anyways.. I also watched the show where they attempt to prove/debunk Area 51 and between the two shows they have stated nothing that was unverifiable.. other than their opinions.
To be sure... they do a lot of eye brow raising and side glances and knowing nods... but that's just to help lure you in. At the end of the show the 3 investigators weigh in and give their opinions... which is usually balanced with 1 or 2 believing and/or 1or 2 disbelieving.

I'm in it for the unknown facts that I wasn't aware of prior to watching. Like the fact that Area 51 was built on a silver mine... so there are underground tunnels and rooms where a lot of stuff/secrets may be squirreled away.
"The base does not appear on public U.S. government maps;[15] the USGS topographic map for the area only shows the long-disused Groom Mine."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_51

How about the fact that the government always declassifies information... even stuff they don't want us knowing... 9-11, Bay of Pigs and so on.
Posted by: MrB

Re: Declaration of Independence is missing - 12/01/12 03:29 PM

Forgive me, but I'm a skeptic . My comments about the series was about the series not about this one episode. I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on tht.

I do find the facts you mentioned quite interesting. Not unbelievable at all.

I had heard previously that not all signers of the independence happened at one time so that indicates they signed on different days. I hadn't thought about there being copies made but that certainly seems logical and if that occurred then having the one on display not being the original also seems plausible.

Dave