Big race tomorrow night!

Posted by: steveg

Big race tomorrow night! - 11/28/12 02:12 PM

AAF/Dayton (American Advertising Federation) is holding their first Pinewood Derby. I can't carve wood to save my ass, so my entry ain't perfect, but...

But it's Butter Than Nothin'! laugh

Wish me luck.
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/28/12 03:55 PM

Aside from the knife pointing the wrong way, looks great! ;-)

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/28/12 04:09 PM

Erm... which way should the knife point?? Did I violate some law of aerodynamics? confused
Posted by: Papa

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/28/12 04:28 PM

The serrated knife edge should face the front of the car. This will improve the aerodynamics by allowing the car to "slice" through the air.

Nice looking car.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/28/12 04:56 PM

Needs some dinner rolls to go with the butter

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/28/12 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Papa
The serrated knife edge should face the front of the car. This will improve the aerodynamics by allowing the car to "slice" through the air.

That, plus in its current configuration the knife looks to do more damage to the diminutive driver who presumably will be operating the vehicle than to the other racers (which I assume is the point of weaponizing the vehicle to begin with ;-)

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/28/12 05:18 PM

The serrated edge IS facing front.

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/28/12 05:32 PM

To put the configuration in the proper context:
Quote:
All cars entered shall be constructed from the BSA official kit.

o Race cars may weigh no more than five (5) ounces (total weight) as determined on the official scale during race day inspection. Weight may be added to the car by you and will be considered part of the car for purposes of all measurements. “Weight” is considered to be any material on the car that is not provided in the kit. All weight must be securely fashioned to the car, e.g. by permanent glue, nails, or screws. Weights shall be passive.

o Race cars may be no longer than 7 inches, and no wider than 2 3/4 (2.75) inches, and no taller than 5 inches, as determined by the official gauges during race day inspection. Underside clearance of at LEAST 3/8 (1.75) inches is highly recommended, so that the car will run on the racetrack.

o The car must roll on the wheels and axles from the kit we sell you. The axles shall be firmly affixed to the wood of the car body. It must be obvious to the judges that the wheels and the axles from the kit are being used. Wheel treatment (smoothing and polishing of the hub and tread) may not result in substantial removal of mass nor in reducing the tread (track contact) width from the original kit wheels.

And because these rules are authored by the Boy Scouts of America, all cars must be straight! laugh
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/28/12 06:14 PM

Ainch-yew a wee bit old for Scouts.. Dad? shocked

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/28/12 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
The serrated edge IS facing front.

Ah. I for one was viewing the slice of butter as the seat of the vehicle. Your explanation that the car is oriented in the other direction makes sense, although in this configuration the knife is situated too far to the rear to pose any real threat to other cars (which, again, I take to the be the purpose -- otherwise, why a serrated knife?) ...

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/28/12 08:42 PM

Because a real butter knife would have weighed too much?? crazy

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/29/12 03:30 AM

Dude... your taking this way too seriously. Think advertising people, beer, snacks, an excuse to buzz drive. wink

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/29/12 03:31 AM

A light shines. 10-Q 2 much. grin
Posted by: MrB

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/29/12 05:02 AM

Think dolphin

Dave

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/29/12 05:07 AM

Dude... your taking this way too seriously.

As you are me ;-D

Actually sounds like fun -- what's the distance of the race? Is it all on an incline or an incline part of the way and then flat?

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/29/12 06:46 AM

I have no idea what the track set up is gonna be. Will they have plenty of Sam Adams, and since the venue is SAA (School of Advertising Art), how many hot lil' women art students will be staying after school today are my foremost questions! laugh
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/29/12 09:40 AM

Quote:
hot lil' women art students

Spoken like a true hot-blooded single man.
Race to the finish Steve.

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/29/12 09:43 AM

Oh come on Leslie, don't sugar coat it. Say "Spoken like a pathetic dirty old man." laugh

Besides, I'd need a pair of derby racers strapped to my feets to catch 'em. blush cry

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/29/12 09:46 AM

If you hold my reply up to a mirror, that is what it actually says. wink

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/29/12 09:58 AM

grin

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/30/12 03:50 AM

I'm so ashamed...

It was fast, but a/b 2 oz. too light. I got knocked out in the 2nd heat. But oh boy was it fun! Turnout was great for a premier event — 25 entries the most original and amazing designs and configurations. Unanimous decision to do it again next year. cool

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/30/12 04:15 AM

Well, you made it into the second round on your first outing -- not bad! Good news that it was a success -- sounds like a lot of fun =)
Posted by: garyW

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/30/12 08:15 AM

I can't believe it's not butter. frown

<badda bing!>

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/30/12 08:38 AM

*groan* grin

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/30/12 08:46 AM

It was so much fun I'm gonna enter at least three cars next year. Already know what I'm gonna do. One will resemble a camera with a longish lens, and will be called ZOOM lens. Another will have a phonograph arm mounted on top — In Search of a Record. And the third will require very little carving, but will be painted to look like the local mass transit vehicles...

And will be called Victory or Bussed! laugh

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 11/30/12 12:16 PM

LeVid! cool

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 12/01/12 06:54 AM

NICE!

Excellent glam shot of the ButterMobile! And I think I spied you in a couple segments there -- good to see you again ;-)
Posted by: garyW

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 12/01/12 09:43 AM

Let me offer some other inspiration for you! laugh

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 12/01/12 11:58 AM

Slow day, eh? smirk grin

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 12/01/12 06:30 PM

grin

Excy!

Re: Big race tomorrow night! - 12/04/12 05:42 PM

Maybe next time you butter build a better mousetrap!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085YY...rd_p=1438543682