I've earned a couple cold ones tonight!

Posted by: MicMeister

I've earned a couple cold ones tonight! - 11/13/12 05:07 AM

Gave my first lecture at the uni today in the morning, as I'm subbing in for a course on multimedia expression and it went well. The first year students bought my authority on the subject and I still managed to be this cool kind of teacher instead of a zombie lecturer. smile

However, that's not why I'm celebrating now. The actual reason is, I had this idea for a mobile application for mountainbiking and applied funding for forst research to build a prototype some time ago. Today I got word the funding application hade been accepted, so I think this calls for something more special than my usual, albeit not your average bulk lager type beers. Yeah, and a shot of Laphroaig Quarter Cask on the side.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: I've earned a couple cold ones tonight! - 11/13/12 05:49 AM

One small plus and one really cool plus! Looks like it's your day or even month. Glad you chimed in to tell us about it.

Re: I've earned a couple cold ones tonight! - 11/13/12 10:53 AM

Tanks. I'm still lurking here every now and then, but rarely posting.

I'm still pretty stoked about the thing, even though it is not a huge sum at all, still getting it means my idea has something worth looking into eve in the minds of others. I wasn't sure at first whether I'd apply for anything after the funding info, but then while being business sparred the next day I was encouraged to try and come up with something, so I did.
Posted by: MrB

Re: I've earned a couple cold ones tonight! - 11/14/12 01:32 AM

That is so cool. Good luck with it

Dave
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: I've earned a couple cold ones tonight! - 11/15/12 03:51 AM

Congratulations on your foray into teaching, and your active mind. Good Luck! smile
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: I've earned a couple cold ones tonight! - 11/15/12 05:15 AM

I was a guest speaker just last night for a graduate class. It has been nearly ten years since I was in front of a classroom.

I found I kind of missed it...wondering if it is the grass is greener syndrome!
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: I've earned a couple cold ones tonight! - 11/15/12 08:42 AM

After you've read, commented on, rubricked, corrected, and graded your 150th essay--the grass is absopositively not greener.
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: I've earned a couple cold ones tonight! - 11/15/12 05:50 PM

Well, some of that prep time memory did come back! I guess working as an Executive Director and the 15 days I have been working without a day off is just about as bad as grading final papers over the holiday.

Re: I've earned a couple cold ones tonight! - 11/16/12 12:19 PM

Fortunately I don't have to grade essays just yet, although I have to grade them based on their how they do on their assignments. Oh well. Still, I could happily do teaching gigs every now and then, but not full time.

Re: I've earned a couple cold ones tonight! - 11/30/12 09:37 AM

Well, the last lecture was today and I gave them an assignment and ample time to finish it. Until the end of January. Will be interesting to see what these first year students churn out as multimedia presentations.