How can you tell a new post from an old one?

Posted by: Anonymous

How can you tell a new post from an old one? - 04/20/02 06:56 PM

How can you tell a new post from an old one? That is to say at the old hangout there would usually be a NEW attached to a 'new' post, but I don't see that here. Same forum software, so that feature should be possible, right? I also want to be able to turn off the thing where replies to a thread make that whole thread float to the top of the forum again. I mean that is okay, but I would be happier if I could disable that by choice. My method of going through the forum is to read the newest threads and then check older threads as I get to them for any new responses since I last checked the thread. This is not a complaint, I just want to know if I can use the forum that way as it would suit my browsing style better. Anyone know anything about that?<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mikeb_X on 04/20/02 09:58 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: sross

Re: How can you tell a new post from an old one? - 04/20/02 07:00 PM

Good question.<br><br>

Re: How can you tell a new post from an old one? - 04/20/02 07:05 PM

Hmmmm, just noticed that when I opened your reply it has the NEW on it, but not when viewed in the thread. Do you notice a NEW on my post as you are reading it?<br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: How can you tell a new post from an old one? - 04/20/02 07:07 PM

I noticed that too. Interesting.<br><br>Did I get a post deleted already? Subject was "Anyone see." It was about Bill Gates testifying on Monday. Did I cross a line? I didn't think so. Maybe it floated way down the forum? I can't find it. Just did a search for it and says it's still around.<br><br>

Not here. - 04/20/02 07:09 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Do you notice a NEW on my post as you are reading it?<p><hr></blockquote><p>

Re: How can you tell a new post from an old one? - 04/20/02 07:11 PM

Bill Gates hangs out here too in secret and has admin priveleges, so that is why your post is gone. No really, I think it sank down in the threads and you can't see it right now because another couple of threads have floated to the top. I am finding that a little cumbersome, there must be a way to disable that on an individual basis.<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Not here. - 04/20/02 07:12 PM

I've yet to see the "new" icon. But there is the red numerals telling you how many new posts are in a thread.<br><br>

Re: Not here. - 04/20/02 07:13 PM

I did however see NEW on your other post, but not on your most recent one. Strange. I saw it also on the post by SROSS, but then I didn't see it on a more recent one of his posts.<br><br>

Re: Not here. - 04/20/02 07:14 PM

I am getting the different colored icon, though.<br><br>

Re: Not here. - 04/20/02 07:15 PM

Oh, did not notice that. Still if the forum software is the same, the NEW label should be something that can be implemented here too. Perhaps as a preference on an individual basis.<br><br>

Here ya go, mike - 04/20/02 07:23 PM

<br><br>Now don't say I never gave yo nuthin'. Just print out a few and stick 'em on your screen as needed! <br><br>
Posted by: Mactico

Re: Not here. - 04/20/02 07:30 PM

But you don't know wich of the replys are new until you open it. Its better that the "new" icon" appears at side of the post.<br><br>
Posted by: carp

You Guys?? - 04/20/02 07:38 PM

Did not read my thread early today. Shame on all of you.<br><br>There is NO 'new" tag in the page view.<br><br>New responses are tagged by the icons (book, smiley face etc} in Orange color--the post and responses that you have already read will show up as Yellow icons.<br><br>Even with MC the only diff here is the "new" tag.<br><br>

Re: You Guys?? - 04/20/02 07:41 PM

All I see is yellow, no orange. I read your post about this earlier today and I thought you must be hallucinating or something.<br><br>

Re: You Guys?? - 04/20/02 07:41 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>There is NO 'new" tag in the page view.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Oh alright then. See my post at the bottom of this thread and help yourselves. <br><br>

Re: You Guys?? - 04/20/02 07:44 PM

Mike, when I first registered last night, I had he same thing. I cleared the disc and memory caches in 'Zilla and quit the app. When I relaunched and logged back into MM, the icons were orange for new posts.<br><br>
Posted by: Mactico

Re: You Guys?? - 04/20/02 07:48 PM

Thanks Carp. I got it.<br><br>

Re: You Guys?? - 04/20/02 07:54 PM

No No No.<br><br>Since you posted it will always turn yellow--since you wrote it that means you have already read it.<br><br>You need to go to a different thread, log out or click change or whatever or even go back to page view.<br><br>I had the same problem this morning and last night. I could not figure out where the new responses where except for the thread thats bumed to the top.<br><br>I then notice the icons on the left was a different color--then I went back to MC and saw the same but MC also had the "new" tag on the right.<br><br>ZING.<br><br>

That's Youse Guys in Steve's neighborhood! - 04/21/02 05:53 AM

Oh, well you didn't make that part clear about logging out and all of that. Will have to try that. Clear cache, quit Mozilla, etc. too.<br><br>

Re: How can you tell a new post from an old one? - 04/21/02 06:06 AM

i wanna go home, i wanna go home<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: How can you tell a new post from an old one? - 04/21/02 06:11 AM

Then why don't ya? You can always be like myself and divide your time. There is nothing wrong in having several homes is there?<br><br><br><br>

Re: How can you tell a new post from an old one? - 04/21/02 06:11 AM

Your old home has changed, it ain't there anymore! Well it is still there, but it isn't what it used to be. Leveled by bulldozers, get over it AROSS. Go there, check it out, see how it has changed. Then you will be back here. I go back and forth, but since most of us are here, I spend more time here than there. You have a problem with change or something? Change is good sometimes, even if it is disorienting or whatever you want to call it.<br><br>

Re: How can you tell a new post from an old one? - 04/21/02 06:15 AM

That is also the title of an old Tom Jones song I believe. <br><br>I wanna go home, I wanna go home......blah, blah, blah.<br><br> <br><br>
Posted by: sross

Re: Not here. - 04/21/02 06:30 AM

I am confused too. I have problems with the relative posts changing position.<br>Jeez, here we are, new to the forum and telling them how to set it up. I bet both Stan and Misha will read the confusion and make some minor alterations while maintaining their independence. The old hands in this forum have been VERY accomodating and I appreciate it. Says a lot about the classy oldsters here.<br>The real quality of this forum will be up to the posters and their sincerety. I am glad to be here and will continue to check MC. There are still lots of good folks over there. <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sross on 04/21/02 09:33 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Not here. - 04/21/02 06:35 AM

It was a little disorienting at first, but I'm getting used to it. And I kind of like the subtle difs btwn the 2 forums. I like a little variety.<br><br>

Re: Not here. - 04/21/02 06:37 AM

I believe this is one of the things Stan is looking into. I don't want to change how they have it set up by default, but I would like the option to disable that feature so that the newest threads are always at the top. That would suit my browsing style better. I also feel that as threads sink you aren't going to get the number of responses you normally would get to a new thread if people can't find it or don't see it. I have however figured out the thing about how to distinguish new posts as they appear. They are orange for me now too after I cleared my cache, logged out and relaunched my browser. At least that now makes it easier to find new posts.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Not here. - 04/21/02 09:19 AM

I'm having a very difficult time with this new forum (I don't like the threads move up and down. I realize that it moves new posts to the top automatically, but you can get the same thing by clicking the "Past 24 Hours" link at the top of the forum page. I would like the option to run that feature off. I want the posts listed in the order they were posted, not by the oder of their popularity (# of responses).<br><br>[color:red]semicolon dash parenthesis</font color=red>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Not here. - 04/21/02 09:20 AM

I agree I loose track of the threads<br><br>This could be da place
Posted by: snag

Re: How can you tell a new post from an old one? - 04/21/02 09:25 AM

For now i'll just crash at Stan's place. <br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

I'm glad - 04/21/02 11:17 AM

to have an opportunity to check out this feature more fully. The one sending old posts to the top of the heap when new posts are added. It is good sometimes and other times I have a difficult time finding something I'm looking for specifically.<br><br>Kate<br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Not here. - 11/25/02 08:32 PM

hey Giz, is it me or are you incorecctly listed as Regular instead of Grand Poo-Bah<br><br>[color:blue]If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. - Milton Berle</font color=blue>
Posted by: sean

Re: Not here. - 11/25/02 08:44 PM

RubenC, i think you've just proven the point of this thread. cool.<br><br>[color:blue] -sean</font color=blue>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Not here. - 11/25/02 09:01 PM

So what popped this thread to the top of the heap like a dead body underwater that gathers enough gas to surface? When I first saw it floating around there were no new posts. Did someone post then delete? <br><br>Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

Re: Not here. - 11/25/02 09:15 PM

MM thread bumping was always my pet peeeve about this forum.<br><br>I could easily go back to the back pages and post --then zing the dead has risen again like this thread. If the Lurker thread was not locked I could bring that back again.<br><br>Thread bumping is great for "dead forums" Try and imagine this feature over at MC ----F___king drive you Nuts.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Not here. - 11/25/02 09:16 PM

Hey Ruben... did you happen to notice the date on my post above? It was made back in April. I WAS a regular then... now I'm highly irregular! <br><br>However, I wish to retract my statement from above. I have gotten used to having threads with new responses pop up to the top and I like it. Not sure if it would work out too well on a busier forum, but here it's nice.<br><br>[color:red] Kiss My Banana!</font color=red><br>Visit me here!

Re: Not here. - 11/26/02 04:32 AM

How in the hell did this old thread get resurrected? That said, I like the post bumping here, although one from April is a bit of a surprise to see again.<br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Not here. - 11/26/02 08:52 AM

We keep adding to the thread, it's the living dead!<br><br>[color:blue]If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. - Milton Berle</font color=blue>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Not here. - 11/26/02 09:02 AM

Nooooo! <br><br>