new Microsoft logo

Posted by: garyW

new Microsoft logo - 08/23/12 10:56 AM

A nice upgrade.

and the new Samsung Stores (look familiar?)

which obviously was inspired by the look & feel of the Microsoft Stores laugh

sheesh.

Posted by: Gerry

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/23/12 11:27 AM

They're brilliant, BRILLIANT at copying stuff others have already done. Not copying well, just copying.
Posted by: steveg

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/23/12 11:41 AM

Why think out of the box when you have nothing but boxes? In fact, why think? sleep

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/23/12 11:59 AM

They branded the Surface with their Windows logo rather than the Microsoft logo, what's up with that? You know that a change to the corporate branding has been in the works for probably a year prior to this announcement, they could have coordinated the whole thing better since this is the product that is suppose to be an "industry game changer". I think they announced the (semi) faux tablet to try and get some media hype at this time when Apple is dancing on their pointy little heads.

Does the pink keyboard make the Surface's ass look fat? This thing is so chunky looking I don't see how even a newer logo will help it.

and in 2009 Microsoft unveiled their logo for MS retail stores, so their branding has been in turmoil for quite a while.

Posted by: Nana

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/23/12 12:09 PM

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! whistle

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/23/12 12:41 PM

The same iconic Apple logo has been shown in various graphic styles since 1976, but there's always been a sense of continuity so that even recent graphic treatments to it like this only enhance the brand.

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/23/12 02:55 PM

That depends on what you're imitating.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/23/12 03:04 PM

Lipstick on a pig. laugh

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/23/12 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Lipstick on a pig. laugh

I don't agree. For a major tech corporation to have used this crap for so many years it is long overdue. It's a major improvement design-wise. It still has no soul.

Posted by: carp

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/23/12 08:14 PM

I agree , still no soul.

However the new logo does fit with the up coming Win 8 which into itself, whats gone are gradients and textures - like the logo it self all are gonna be pretty much (flat) in appearance (tool bars) task bar yada yada.

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/23/12 08:38 PM

Exactly right, it works well with the Metro Windows 8 theme.
Kind of like a previous verison of the Microsoft logo that was just like a certain Apple UI, better they brand the corporation with their own operating system than their main competitors! laugh

Posted by: MicMeister

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 04:53 AM

Wow. To me that new logo says one thing even stronger than before: squares for squares aka boring mediocracy. Well, they've never been ashamed to admit it, either.

The Metro UI itself isn't that bad actually. It's clean and simple, whatnot slightly dull with the color choices.
Posted by: DLC

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 05:00 AM

If you're a square , go Microsoft ! wink

Bet that took the art Dept months to develop, right SteveG. laugh

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 05:25 AM

Maybe I'll sue. I created this logo for a Florida client a little more than 6 yrs ago...

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 06:33 AM

Really???
Ya got paid for that one?
sleep
Posted by: Pirate

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 09:12 AM

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 09:15 AM

I showed you mine. Now you show me yours.

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 09:20 AM

seems like a logical update. laugh

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 09:41 AM

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 09:58 AM

laugh

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 10:08 AM

Now we're talkin'...

grin

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 10:48 AM

OK... now the Siwwy Mans logo I would pay money for....
That's a dead on, nail on the head logo if I ever seen one... cool

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 11:51 AM

Good. The invoice is in the mail. smirk

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 01:39 PM

So's the check.....

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 01:53 PM

Like a rubber ball
You come bouncin' back to meeeeeeeee.

sick

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 06:15 PM

Well the check issuing bank is (AMF) so you should at lease get a good bounce out of it.

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/24/12 10:10 PM

Everything old is new again.

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/25/12 10:02 AM

OH NO, I can't BELIEVE that !!! shocked

MS stealing from itself !! wink

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/26/12 11:45 AM

I wanted to show you guys the complexity of the iconic Apple logo.

There's a basic principle of design called The Golden Ratio.

Quote:
According to Wikipedia:

The golden ratio is an irrational mathematical constant, approximately 1.61803398874989. Studies by psychologists have been devised to test the idea that the golden ratio plays a role in human perception of beauty. Some of the greatest mathematical minds of all ages, from Pythagoras and Euclid in ancient Greece, through the medieval Italian mathematician Leonardo of Pisa and the Renaissance astronomer Johannes Kepler, to present-day scientific figures such as Oxford physicist Roger Penrose, have spent endless hours over this simple ratio and its properties.

Much information on the Golden Ratio or Phi can be found here

Analysis of the Apple logo design and the Golden Ratio by Thiago Barcelos.
(rt. click to enlarge)

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/26/12 01:09 PM

Ahhh - Gary;

More than likely the logo was conceived by a Apple panel that consisted of a pant load of gay guys (sorry) at the end decision, , don't that look just beautiful in a touchy feely way.

Then the logo went down to printing too a geek - which the only way to print the logo in computer terms that it can read was -via- a series of cut out circles.

irrational mathematical - Ahhh no it just ended up that way.

IMO laugh

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/26/12 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Ahhh no it just ended up that way.
IMO laugh

That was Samsung's defense and it cost them $1B laugh

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/26/12 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: carp
Ahhh - Gary;

More than likely the logo was conceived by a Apple panel that consisted of a pant load of gay guys (sorry) at the end decision, , don't that look just beautiful in a touchy feely way.

Then the logo went down to printing too a geek - which the only way to print the logo in computer terms that it can read was -via- a series of cut out circles.

irrational mathematical - Ahhh no it just ended up that way.

IMO laugh

Really???
A pant load of gay guys???
Stereotype much???

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/26/12 05:23 PM

Really???
A pant load of gay guys???
Stereotype much???

LOL - really I was just reflecting on who come up with paint color names laugh

Anyway,
I don't think Apple logo was as Gary W suggest - but rather a group got together and decided that looks cool. The math was much latter.

IMO

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/26/12 05:34 PM

Oh I don't see any resemblance at all !! whistle

Re: new Microsoft logo - 08/26/12 07:17 PM

Golden Ratio proportion is something any first year graphic design or industrial design student learns and respects. Jonathon Ive is a master designer and knows his stuff and so it comes natural that the products he designs incorporates this geometry.

Quote:
Rob Janoff designed the original logo in 1977. CB: Do you like the changes Apple made to your original design over the years?
RJ: I feel great that it's still the same basic silhouette even though it went through lots and lots of changes. The apple shape changed slightly from my original design in the early 80's. The design firm Landor & Associates made the changes. They brightened the colors, they made the shapes much more symmetrical, much more geometric

Landor's designers know their stuff too.

Great design happens with great precision and calculated thought. (with Microsoft . not so much. laugh ). The familiar occurance of the the exact ratio over so much of the Apple brand doesn't seem likely that it's all just coincidental.