iPhone 4?

Posted by: steveg

iPhone 4? - 08/22/12 10:43 AM

Seeing that they're now available via several channels for under $50, this might be the time for me to make the leap. I still intend usage to be almost exclusively telephony minimal email, almost no web browsing, and probably zero media play. So I'm interested in feedback from owners, and need to know if that phone is compatible with Mountain Lion.

So, give... smile
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/22/12 11:37 AM

Wow, Mountain Lion on 2 computers, a new mini and laptop, now an iPhone. Livin' la Vida Loca!

Welcome to the 21st Century. smirk

If you wait until the 5 comes out in a couple of weeks you may be able to get one free, with a 2 year plan of course. The 4S will be cheaper by then too probably. The 4S is noticeably faster than the 4 but if you're sure it will be mainly used as a phone the 4 would be fine. I use mine a lot when I'm not in the office for things like remote access, web, and maps so the 4S made a big difference for my use.

The 3GS works with ML so you'll be fine with the 4.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/22/12 11:47 AM

Steve, if I may offer a bit of advice here (with a short back story).

When I first got my iPhone 4, I had to talk my wife into it. She was 100% against smartphones, using the "I'll never use 99% of that crap" argument - she just wanted a "phone." Upon convincing her to get the iPhone, she then tried to talk me into getting the 3GS instead of the 4.

Long story short, SHE actually uses the phone more than I do now. She never believed she needed the bells & whistles until she actually had them, and had the time to play around with them to see how they might fit in to her life/work style. Add to that the ever-improving apps that take advantage of the latest hardware only (there are actually quite a few apps that will only work on the 4S already).

It's the old "buy more than you need right now, because you always grow into it" advice.

I can see you not feeling the need for the iPhone 5, but I would definitely recommend getting the 4S at the very least. If nothing else, the camera is better.

As for us, I suspect I'll be given the marching orders to go stand in line on Sept 21st to get the iPhone 5. A moderately decent problem to have, if you must have one, I suppose.

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/22/12 12:36 PM

Well, I really really plan to use it almost exclusively as a phone. I'm rarely away from the office, and when I am, It's because I'm in a meeting, or on a pressroom floor, or at the grocery store... where I am not going to be reading or sending emails, or Googling this or that. There might be the occasional emergency, but that's a stretch.

I hate texting and trying to read stuff on a tiny screen. I don't need to bank via smartphone (not even sure if my bank offers remote check capture unless it's fee-based). And in all the years I've had a phone with a camera built in, I think I've taken fewer than 5 pictures.

So my strategy is get the 4 or (4s at most) and see if I do begin to adopt more of the features and capabilities over time. If I do, then I'll upgrade when iPhone 6 comes along.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/22/12 01:53 PM

I already tried this approach Giz... he's a 19th century man... if they still made telegraph switches.... crazy

jk Steve. Good on ya.. enjoy whatever you get.

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/22/12 02:21 PM

Yah, you called me anachronistic. mad

But the joke's on you, fool. I ain't afraid o' no spiders! >:P
Posted by: Jim_

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/22/12 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: MacGizmo
It's the old "buy more than you need right now, because you always grow into it" advice.
Grow into it? You and Steve? Youse guys growin' days is long over. smirk

You lob 'em up, I'll hit 'em.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/22/12 05:55 PM

I'm using my 4 much more than I thought I would, and I still don't have a paid app on it. Like the others have said, wait for the 5 to get out the door and then pick up a discounted 4s. You won't regret it at all. These things are simply amazing!
Posted by: carp

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/22/12 05:57 PM

I am with the others wait for the 4s.

Theres one thing I am sure you can use and that is drop box.

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/23/12 03:19 AM

Yeah, but you hit like a girl. smirk

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/23/12 03:46 AM

Comes down to life/workstyle, IMHO. When I lived in NYC during the late '90s and early 2000's, I lived and died by a Palm Pilot (granted, not a smart phone and the onboard data was only as current as your last hardwired sync). But scheduling and contacts, apps for restaurants, shopping, entertainment venues, subway and train info, city walking maps... All had a practical function when I had 3-4 meetings per day not per week; when dining out or ordering in was the rule and cooking the rare exception; when I moved around the city via mass transit (or more often on foot) instead of a car.

Having my calendar and contacts always up to date is the only feature I see as truly practical relative to my current day-to-day. My policy is to do or buy stuff because I should, not because I can.* So, since a smart phone is not presently a how did I ever live without it thing, I'd rather start on a lower shelf, and move up only if or when there's added value to be had. But I may wait for the 4s prices to fall because the extra speed is still nice to have.

*I break this rule only for scotch. I'll drop $80 on a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black because the $45 Red just ain't as satisfying! grin

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/23/12 02:28 PM

JW Black? Meh.
JW Red? Foul, disgusting bile!
This is exceptional!

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/23/12 02:54 PM

Been there done it. Doesn't hold a candle to JWB or even Red for that matter. Nope, for me it's Johnnie Black or The Glenlivet 18. And nothing wrong with Crown Royal Cask No. 16, if'n youse wanna get your finer Canadian on.
Posted by: MrB

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/23/12 07:50 PM

Me, give me a glass of buttermilk. smile

Dave

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/23/12 08:24 PM

Interesting, most pull their cask, every 4 years.

Like JW is 8 years , 12 and then 16 - every 4 years.

Glenfiddish pulls theirs every 3 years 12 - 15 and 18. However even if Glenfiddish starts off with a 12 year - I wonder pulling it out in 3 years makes a whole lot of difference than waiting for the 4th year ?

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/24/12 03:31 AM

It's not just the aging, carp. It has to do with the type of wood the casks are made of, the blend of other ingredients, the peat, and other whiskies (yes, all blend masters will incorporate other whiskies into their "recipes" to balance the bouquet and finish of the blend), and many other factors. For example, VO Gold has a lot of Crown Royal in it's blend.

Aging does matter, though. That's why Chivas Salute 50 yr old sold for $10K/bottle when it was released in '03!

Little factoid, BTW, Irish blends are whiskey, Canadians are whisky

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/24/12 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
It's not just the aging, carp. It has to do with the type of wood the casks are made of, the blend of other ingredients, the peat, and other whiskies (yes, all blend masters will incorporate other whiskies into their "recipes" to balance the bouquet and finish of the blend), and many other factors. For example, VO Gold has a lot of Crown Royal in it's blend.

Aging does matter, though. That's why Chivas Salute 50 yr old sold for $10K/bottle when it was released in '03!

And single malts are not blended.

Re: iPhone 4? - 08/24/12 06:03 PM

I know heres the skinny.

USAGE Is it whiskey or whisky ? Note that the British and Canadian spelling is without the : e, so that properly one would write of : Scotch whisky or : Canadian whisky , but : Kentucky bourbon whiskey or : Irish whiskey .

Much like , color -vs- colour

Re: iPhone 4? - 09/13/12 07:24 PM

Quote:

Steve, if I may offer a bit of advice here (with a short back story).

When I first got my iPhone 4, I had to talk my wife into it. She was 100% against smartphones, using the "I'll never use 99% of that crap" argument - she just wanted a "phone." Upon convincing her to get the iPhone, she then tried to talk me into getting the 3GS instead of the 4.

Long story short, SHE actually uses the phone more than I do now. She never believed she needed the bells & whistles until she actually had them, and had the time to play around with them to see how they might fit in to her life/work style. Add to that the ever-improving apps that take advantage of the latest hardware only (there are actually quite a few apps that will only work on the 4S already).

I can see you not feeling the need for the iPhone 5, but I would definitely recommend getting the 4S at the very least. If nothing else, the camera is better.

As for us, I suspect I'll be given the marching orders to go stand in line on Sept 21st to get the iPhone 5. A moderately decent problem to have, if you must have one, I suppose.

My my....changed our tune over the years, eh?

laugh
http://www.thegraphicmac.com/iphone-just-shut-already
Posted by: Pirate

Re: iPhone 4? - 09/14/12 07:27 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg

Heck where I am from aged is something like 2 weeks or less...moonshine whiskey does not require that it be aged...
not that it sat around long enough to get older anyway

Re: iPhone 4? - 09/14/12 07:37 AM

I've been getting some shine down here in South Florida... it comes from the Carolinas... pretty good.
I had never tried it, but now that I have been through about 3 mason jars...I'm gonna lay off.

Potent stuff with little hangover though.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: iPhone 4? - 09/14/12 09:23 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4

My my....changed our tune over the years, eh?
http://www.thegraphicmac.com/iphone-just-shut-already

Not really. My rant was more about how "Mac" sites had been going overboard with their iPhone articles. As for TheGraphicMac, I rarely cover the iPhone - even though I love the damn thing!

That being said, thanks for pointing out that article... I see that the formatting got screwed up when I switched from Drupal to Wordpress years ago.