WTF...

Posted by: NucleusG4

WTF... - 07/19/12 07:06 AM

You hear about it and read about it and know about it... but to see it in action makes me want to be sick.....
This is one instance I'm thankful there are cameras watching us.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/attempted-abduction-10-year-girl-caught-tape/story?id=16803943
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 07:18 AM

Saw that on this morning's news. I hope they catch him.
Posted by: Pirate

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 09:44 AM

video looked kinda fuzzy hope it can be cleaned up and used
Posted by: Nana

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 10:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Pirate
video looked kinda fuzzy hope it can be cleaned up and used

I noticed that just about every store & house type security videos are fuzzy & in black & white. Why is that? You would think in the 21st century all security video would be crystal clear and in color.

Unless the police IT folks can get a clear pic of the license plate number, every owner who has a white car like the one in the video will be hauled down to the round house for questioning.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Nana
Unless the police IT folks can get a clear pic of the license plate number, every owner who has a white car like the one in the video will be hauled down to the round house for questioning.
That black mark on the left rear bumper that they mentioned helps to narrow it down though, unless they paint over it or rub it out.

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 11:10 AM

They got him, turned himself in.

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 11:17 AM

Wow.. that's just freakin incredible.. the guy must have known he was cooked.

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 11:45 AM

There's something good to be said for our wired society. cool
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 12:25 PM

Well, a lot of the CCTV cameras are old and replacing them wouldn't be cheap. Another thing is, decent resolution requires decent lighting and/or light intensity, which requires larger lenses. The reality of optics is a little different than on tv shows. smile
Posted by: lanovami

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 12:37 PM

Seems the vehicle is always white no? Or is it just my imagination?

I love how the girl keeps her head with her brother. After the guy runs off she tries to take off too, but her brother won't run and just stands their crying. She has to lead him along by the hand on what must feel like an agonizingly slow pace to get back home. Brave girl.

On top of the heinousness of the crime he tried to commit, was he going to leave a 2 year old to fend for himself on to of all that?

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 01:28 PM

Good point...add on another count of child endangerment.

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 01:42 PM

If kidnapped... she may have ended up like the girls in this story.

http://thecnnfreedomproject.blogs.cnn.co...down/?hpt=hp_c1

Makes me want to pound some heads....
Posted by: lanovami

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 02:42 PM

CNN is really making a effort to highlight this stuff, good for them. The only reason we hear this particular story is because she got away.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
CNN is really making a effort to highlight this stuff, good for them. The only reason we hear this particular story is because she got away.

Not sure I understand your comment. Do you mean to say that if the little girl HAD been kidnapped, CNN [and others] would not be reporting the story? and we would not "hear" it??

Posted by: carp

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: MicMeister
Well, a lot of the CCTV cameras are old and replacing them wouldn't be cheap. Another thing is, decent resolution requires decent lighting and/or light intensity, which requires larger lenses. The reality of optics is a little different than on tv shows. smile

We have installed the very latest CCTV (color) with pan and zoom you name it - Still unless your with in say 5 feet of the camera, facial recognition is difficult, after 20 feet forget it. Really has more to do with resolution as opposed to optics. Consider when we have 18 camera shooting a recording 24/7 and is saved for 30 days - Now if we shot those recordings in HD is what you really need for facials from a distance, ya gonna need a huge server farm.

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 06:21 PM

If that spy in the sky can CLEARLY spot a gnat crawling up inside your ass day or night, surely, someone can make an affordable color security cam for homeowners and small businesses.

How do you think Obama found Bin Ladin? I'm just saying....whistle
Posted by: Pirate

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 06:23 PM

Good Point
Posted by: carp

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 06:59 PM

Yep,

Consider how many freaks would have been caught over the decades, if only the police had a decent image to work with.

Re: WTF... - 07/19/12 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Nana
If that spy in the sky can CLEARLY spot a gnat crawling up inside your ass day or night, surely, someone can make an affordable color security cam for homeowners and small businesses.

How do you think Obama found Bin Ladin? I'm just saying....whistle
Like Steve said HD takes up much more room than SD. Also it's the lens. With DSLRs for serious photogs the investment in a quality lens is much greater than the camera. You have to not only have the space to save the HD file you need the lens to do it.

I don't know the specs but I guarantee that the resolution of spy satellites is even many times greater than HD, you need a lens capable of doing that, and the camera electronics must be sophisticated enough to be able to adjust to the lighting.

It's not your off the shelf camera. smirk
Posted by: padmavyuha

Re: WTF... - 07/20/12 12:20 AM

It's maybe not the camera technology that's the issue, so much as the enormously larger data storage you need (assuming digital feed) to store colour CCTV compared to monochrome.

Re: WTF... - 07/20/12 03:43 AM

Satellite feeds are are recorded on the ground and only the parts we need. It's mostly used for live viewing... record when necessary.
Besides... if it's a spy satellite... the gov can afford to record what they want ... as opposed to tens of thousands of street cameras.
Sort of like the police cameras... they record for a few minutes span.... then the old drops off.

Re: WTF... - 07/20/12 07:56 AM

Originally Posted By: padmavyuha
It's maybe not the camera technology that's the issue, so much as the enormously larger data storage you need (assuming digital feed) to store colour CCTV compared to monochrome.
Also the bandwidth needed to transmit and equipment needed to collect all that HD content from hundreds or thousands of cameras all operating at once.

So basically it would be nice if surveillance was really like on 24 or in the spy movies, but this is real world application.

Re: WTF... - 07/20/12 09:42 AM

High crime cities like Philly need to get on the ball!

City expands crime cameras into Northeast Baltimore

I gotta stop watching the tv show "Persons Of Interest." crazy