Comments on article about images in Seventeen

Posted by: MrB

Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 03:38 AM

In the news is the buzz about the magazine, seventeen, altering images to present unnatural beauty. A 14 year old reader distributed a petition with some 80,000 signatures wantin more natural images of young girs in the magazine.

While I can appreciate the young girls position, some manipulating the image should occure in most images.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/05/us/seventeen-photoshopping/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

The point of my post, here, is to concurr with some of the comments to the linked piece. The comments that would like to see realistic images portrayed in ads and commercials. Like the images of hamburgers, on the signs at fast food joints. Here in our town the worst is A&W, McDonalds, etc. the burgers one gets, are nothing that resembles that in the sign menus.

I have been sorely tempted to get out of my car in the drive through, go into the joint and demand to get a burger that looks like the one advertised, instead of the one slapped together.

Invariably , the sign adverttizes the Pappy Burger, with the meat well ousde the bun, three or so thick sices of tomato showing, along with abundant onions, lettuce an cheese shown melting, outside the bun. When the item received, has a much thinner and smaller, meat, one see through slice of tomato somewhere on the burger with a thin ring of onion instead of the full slice. With a small strip of lettuce.

Dave
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 06:03 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
The point of my post, here, is to concurr with some of the comments to the linked piece. The comments that would like to see realistic images portrayed in ads and commercials. Like the images of hamburgers, on the signs at fast food joints. Here in our town the worst is A&W, McDonalds, etc. the burgers one gets, are nothing that resembles that in the sign menus.

I have been sorely tempted to get out of my car in the drive through, go into the joint and demand to get a burger that looks like the one advertised, instead of the one slapped together.

Invariably , the sign adverttizes the Pappy Burger, with the meat well ousde the bun, three or so thick sices of tomato showing, along with abundant onions, lettuce an cheese shown melting, outside the bun. When the item received, has a much thinner and smaller, meat, one see through slice of tomato somewhere on the burger with a thin ring of onion instead of the full slice. With a small strip of lettuce.

Okay Dave, now you've got me worried. smirk

FF to 3:40 if you want, the whole clip is good though. I loved this movie, have to watch it again sometime, it still fits nowadays.

Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 06:22 AM

That was a good movie. I like 2:05 - 2:12...
the guy was bailing on his wife...lol

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 06:45 AM

Well, just seems to me that if there is a large menu presenting thes beautiful fat sandwiches , so enticing in their abundant glory, that the item one ordered should resemble it.

Kinda like a car dealer advertising their Range rovers showing a beautiful machine . A guy orders one only to find what he receives looks like a 72 Gremlon with a Rangerover nameplate on it.

Now, in the movie, with Michael Douglas, the guy gets there two minutes late. that's hs fault. I've done that very thing. But I know, as silly as it is that McDullords won't serve me , it's still my fault. In fact on the 4th this week, I went into Subway early evening. The "open" sign, lite. Saw them scurrieng cleaning up. I asked if we were too late, they said no. I had ten minutes to spare. Bit the bullit on that one.

But Subway's menu pics look mostly like what one gets. Others, not much at all. In fact, it would be hard pressed to take the finishe sandwiches from our fat fod joints in my sall town and match them with the picture they are supposed to be. mcDonalds, A&W, and Sonic Drivein.

Dave

Dave
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 09:24 AM

Behind the scenes at a McDonald's photoshoot:

The video addresses some of your exact complaints. It's more than just Photoshop... the food stylists do a wonderful job of making shˇtburgers look delicious!

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 09:36 AM

What eggszactly is in those McDs fries...

Posted by: Lea

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 12:27 PM

At the risk of hijacking the thread (right, like that ever stopped me wink )~

Falling Down: Killer movie, unsung classic. As incredible as Douglas was in this one? Duvall carried it. Anybody else in Mr. D's role? It would've been good. But not perfect.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Now, in the movie, with Michael Douglas, the guy gets there two minutes late. that's hs fault. I've done that very thing. But I know, as silly as it is that McDullords won't serve me , it's still my fault
Watch the whole clip, the part about the looks of the sandwich starts at 3:40.
Posted by: lanovami

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 01:35 PM

I"ve shown up just pass the buzzer at McD's (I admit I like their breakfasts,not so much their lunches) and they will accommodate me if they haven't completely switched over yet. If they are already cooking regular McD's food it would be a hassle to switch back, understandable.

Still liked that movie though.

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 03:00 PM

Interesting, although, I rarely eat at McDonalds. So don't really compare to closely their product. As I mentioned it's A&W that gets me the most.

Also, related ly, I once bought hamburgers and frys at both Sonic and A&W, took them home, and weighed the products to compare with the price. There was a difference, but can't remember, now which came out ahead.

Can't stand eating at Mc?donads except for breakfast. Their hamburgers have no taste. No taste. Can't taste the meatiness them.

Dave
Posted by: DLC

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 04:12 PM

I think they import their cooking oil from Fukushima, Japan !!

Don't even have to heat the oil to "fry" the potatoes !! laugh

I'm Lovin it !! wink

MrB- I totally agree, if I'm desperate I can "stomach" some of their breakfast items, occassionally! But I can't stand their lunch or dinner items... burgers are dog food IMO. OMG gimme a Whataburger or even a Checkers burger... Red Robin's are good too !! Even Wendy's beats McDonalds. She can put a 'rope-a-dope" on that clown !

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 05:38 PM

I also find the original article rather interesting. The magazine insists it doesn't "airbrush" or photoshop models to make them look better. At the same time, it would be nice to see models at any age who are not just drop dead attractive. Of course if they started using less eye catchingly beautiful models, people would probably complain about the dirth of beautiful models..

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 05:45 PM

Sex sells.

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 06:32 PM

Would that 14 year old buy Seventeen if there were less glamorous girls in it's pages? hmmmmm..

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 06:47 PM

Park out side a high school in the US and observe the student types walkin out/ in. Many if not most are over weight. Even the popular girls, noticeable by their inclusion in groups, could lose a few pounds. Not just girls but boys also.

And, no, I don't make it a habit to park out side of high schools to watch the girls. sick

Dave
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 07:18 PM

Quote:
Park out side a high school in the US and observe the student types walkin out/ in. [...] And, no, I don't make it a habit to park out side of high schools to watch the girls.

So ... you do it only occasionally? ;-)

I will agree that our society as a whole is more overweight ...

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 09:46 PM

I don't want to sound insensitive here, but living 99 percent of my life in Japan the last 15 years and then going home to places like Iowa and seeing people, big people, lots of them, walking around - the culture shock is palpable..

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/06/12 11:54 PM

Hehe. During 2009, when I drove to the local hospital , every day for 143 days straight, I found the quickest route was by our local high school. Had to do with trafic and stop signs. But it was nice to see the kids out some times.

You remember I was a high school math teacher for 33 years.

I miss the kids. I love the energy they exude.

Now I live directly across the activity grounds of a local elementary school. I hardly notice them at all. The street in front of my house is only one blk long with my house the only house on it. The other side of the street is the activity ground an the soccer area. The only trafic I get is the parents dropping off their kids in the morning and fetching them in Pm. It's nice.

Dave

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/07/12 12:01 AM

That is nice. smile
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/07/12 02:36 AM

100% right.

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/07/12 02:45 AM

Finally watched that Falling Down clip. I love how "Sheila" says "you can call me Ms. Fulsom" and after that he does. Or how he tries to smooth over the fact that he pulled a gun by acquiescing and asking for lunch instead of breakfast, the thing that set him off in the first place. I don't remember this movie that well, but that is probably my favorite scene.

Re: Comments on article about images in Seventeen - 07/07/12 02:48 AM

And you know how I can never stop myself with this stuff. The girl who plays Sheila, the fast food girl, made an impression on me in that clip, so I looked her up. Her name is Dedee Pfeiffer and she is Michelle's sister.

Too bad you are all asleep when I am just getting going. Don't worry, I'm used to it by now.

Deedee Pfeiffer - 07/07/12 10:11 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sky_is_Falling_(film)

I think she is delightful. I first saw her in the film above. She was so perky and cute. Much different than her more famous sister.

I loved the film above. She isan aspiring writer who gets a volunteer job at a hospital with her dog Sam who gets trained as a therapy dog. It centers round soe of the patients she meets in the hospital and how they change each others lives. If you can find ths film it will warm your heart.

To bad she was in so few films.

Dave
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Deedee Pfeiffer - 07/09/12 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: lanovami
The magazine insists it doesn't "airbrush" or photoshop models to make them look better...
Technically, they aren't fibbing. The reality is, they hire a photographer to do the photoshoot, and the photographer airbrushes the photos before the magazine even gets the image.

Re: Deedee Pfeiffer - 07/09/12 10:44 AM

Also, let's be realistic about this. The girl/model may wake up that morning with an acne outbreak. Can we clone those out.. or should we show acne/pimples/cold sores and such?

===

Also, if the girls in the mag look average... what's the compelling factor for buying the magazine?

"10 Ways You Can Look Like This" (Oh wait.. you already do...)

Re: Deedee Pfeiffer - 07/09/12 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Also, let's be realistic about this. The girl/model may wake up that morning with an acne outbreak. Can we clone those out.. or should we show acne/pimples/cold sores and such?

===

Also, if the girls in the mag look average... what's the compelling factor for buying the magazine?

"10 Ways You Can Look Like This" (Oh wait.. you already do...)

Exactly

And to think, I shot a friends retirement party, Saturday. Her words to me were to make her look good.

Dave
Posted by: carp

Re: Deedee Pfeiffer - 07/09/12 08:21 PM

Speaking of, MrB.

As a photographer, do you feel that some people just don't photo well ? ? sorta like in person they look a lot better than in their pictures.