HBOs The Newsroom

Posted by: NucleusG4

HBOs The Newsroom - 06/26/12 07:26 PM

Wow.
and wow!
Some HBO series take a while to grow on me... like Boardwalk Empire. Not Newsroom.. this was a rollicking, kick-ass 1st episode. Damn.
75 minutes that any other show would have taken 2 hours to tell.....
Posted by: garyW

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 06/26/12 09:07 PM

NSFW

Posted by: lanovami

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 06/26/12 09:11 PM

Think I heard about this - Jeff Daniels stars maybe? Always liked him.
Posted by: MrB

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 06/27/12 12:16 AM

Interesting, comments he said in this clip. But, well, what I want to say would be political.

Will have to watch it.i like a good comedy.

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 06/27/12 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB
Interesting, comments he said in this clip. But, well, what I want to say would be political.

Will have to watch it.i like a good comedy.

Dave

??
This is no comedy....
Seems to me to be a drama.

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 06/27/12 05:41 AM

I understand. I was being sarcastic toward what the producers put into the clip above. It's no reflection on anyone here at all.

Dave
Posted by: Nana

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 06/27/12 08:28 AM

I saw the previews. Will catch up on the premier on On Demand. Only watching because I miss Sam Waterston/Jack McCoy from L&O.

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 06/27/12 08:39 AM

from the clip it seems to me that Sorkin reinvented President Bartlet. laugh

Looking forward to seeing the series too.

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 06/28/12 01:03 AM

Saw the first episode of The Newsroom.

Some of my observations:

First). The beginning segment, shwn in ths thread on the clip. Daniels character list of reasons why The US is not the best country in the world. Then he gives a second list of ways that it used to be better but now isn't.

Well, the second lst is not relevant to the first. And furthermore, the US hasn't changed that much mentioned in the second. We still have those "lost" attributes in lots of areas.

Second). I thought the conversation that Daniels and Mortimer had in his office was way to long. I kept thing " let's get on with it, but they just kept prattling on"

Third). Is this series going to have an "agenda" each episode, where the producers stick in their personal political views? Are we going to be subjected to various diatribes Of hot topics. If so they have lost me as a viewer.

Also on this third aspect, Daniels character exhibits traits that I hate in a news anchor. He asks questions, but interrupts the answers, often interjecting his own feelings into the "news" . He is like a mixture of Nancy Grace and Keith Obermann.

Or do I have the concept of the series all wrong. Is this series just a platform for HBO to stick in their positions on the worlds events. Is The story line, between characters there just for filler. If so why don't they just have a psuedo news show, where they bring up their stuff. They mostly do that already in Bill Maher.

Just my take.

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/13/12 01:03 AM

Too much noise on the web, so I had to download the first episode. The first 10 minutes had me enthralled. I loved the line about the 3 things the US is number 1 in, which I remember all:

Number of incarcerated citizens per capita
Number of people who think angels are real
Defense spending (large than the next 26 nations combined)

Whoo! Loved it. Will definitely be giving this show a look.

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/13/12 02:14 AM

It was pretty good. Some parts were a bit too easy. The ending was too poetically perfect for my taste. However, there was a heck of a lot I liked, and I am definitely on board for the second episode. Too bad I wasn't more behind the curve so I could digest more episodes in a short time.

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/13/12 04:34 AM

I think we do okay in many areas. But, it's not popular for the elete to dwell on them.

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/14/12 04:42 AM

So, the second episode was entertaining, a lot about the characters, but I wanted more meat.

The 3rd episode gave me that on a silver platter. I had never heard of the Koch Bros who are so stinking rich and give money to the Tea Party through intermediaries. This is the kind of stuff I wanted to see. A show about a new show that wants to do the news and actually "uncovers" things that need to be talked about that are real and happening. Yes. More of this please!

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/14/12 05:15 AM

I knew some folks who had property adjoining property on which the Koch brothers owned the mineral rights and were drilling right next to their boundary line. The drilled , supposedly Stan angle undernet my friends property. Thus stealing their oil or gas. This was in western Oklahoma, in the '80s.

My friends had several law suits against them. They have a ruthless reputation. A few years ago they we're in a knock down drug out fight between each other. It ade national news. Not sure how it came out, if it did.

As for political support, newsroom said that they were the major supporter of the Tea Party. I would bet they might support other parties as well. But the show The Newsroom wouldn't mention that. But that's ok, it's just a fictional show. The viewers know that. They won't believe , for an instant that the "hard facts" mentioned in the show are true . whistle

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/14/12 01:17 PM

piece on Koch bros, libertarian views, where they have given money, and the Tea Party

This article is pretty anti-Koch. It has received praise and crticism of course. I believe the Newsroom mentions they have given money to many movements. The wiki article on at least David also lists many very large scale philanthropy causes he has given to and actively worked for.

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/14/12 08:46 PM

I posted in the Soapbox political forum about them

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/16/12 03:29 AM

Sunday morning, I was thinking what conservative bashing topic this weeks HBO's The Newsroom would feature. I thought gay legislation, anti-abortions, or ?gun control as they haven been hit yet in the series.

Well, it was gun control. And hit it big they did.

That was the big thing. The behind the camera tirades were more high school sophomoric antics on the characters' shagging each other.

Next week it will be gay legislation or abortion control.

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/16/12 04:20 AM

You could be a Hollywood script writer.
At our age.... what isn't predictable?
Posted by: Nana

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/16/12 12:06 PM

I just can't get into this show. I keep falling sleep from being so bored!

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/16/12 01:37 PM

I know I have been knocking the over whelming liberal agenda the show, but in addition, the antics of the characters in regards to their sexual and behavioral relations with each other is getting to be quite old.

Why don't they just declare a holiday, come in and just take turns humping each other and get it over with.

Last nights episode with Maghies roommate and the cell phone ringtone takes the cake, along with Wills stupid actions with the chicks he has been banging.

And what was with having the Indian/Pakistanian guy so obsessed with Bigfoot . How lame

I probably will watch a few more shows just to lambast it, but then will stop.

I dd the same thing with the Homeland series.

Also, might mention. A&E's series, Longmire. I was really looking forward to this series, as I have read every one of the books about this Sherrif in Wyoming . But they have really made this character, in the series, do some stupid things. Clear off the mark what the books character would do.

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/16/12 03:15 PM

Quote:
Clear off the mark what the books character would do.

Don't you have any imagination Dave? Does it always have to be by the letter?
Haven't we rehashed the same "by the letter" stories enough already?
I, for one, welcome a new spin/twist on the same old historically accurate tales.

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 07/16/12 07:29 PM

On many things, yes

But on the Longmire series, I was looking for a character tat was clse to the character I lved from the book. I didn't quite get it. And in fact they have him behaving as no Sherrif would act. They have pretty much followed the normal Hollywood formula for tv lawmen

Dave
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/03/13 07:34 AM

2nd season has already started. We love this show!

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/03/13 08:20 AM

Me too! Sorkin and his amazing cast deserve lots and lots of praise. In June my wife & I re-watched the ten episodes of season 1 and it was even better the second time around.

Previously we had also binged on all of Breaking Bad …. and Netflix just yesterday offered streaming for part 1 of season 5 so we need to catch up this week because the final episodes begin NEXT WEEKEND! <yeah!>
Posted by: Celandine

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/03/13 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
Wow.
and wow!
Some HBO series take a while to grow on me... like Boardwalk Empire. Not Newsroom.. this was a rollicking, kick-ass 1st episode. Damn.
75 minutes that any other show would have taken 2 hours to tell.....

Mwahahahah - Welcome to 'The Sanctuary'

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/03/13 11:04 AM

This season has a different flavor, mostly. They still are knocking conservatives and Repubs, but so far it's mostly a soap opera about the shenanigans of the people who are in the newsroom.

Not surprising they had the guy aboard the Romney campaign bus giving us the foibles of their campaign but no one on with the Obama campaign. I guess the producers couldn't come up with any for that group.

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/03/13 11:52 AM

Actually the main story line is an investigation where the Obama Administration may have used sarin gas on Pakistanis. The point is that investigative journalism has a boatload of resposibility and accountability to source the story and get it right.

Their reporter Jim got kicked off the Romney bus, the story being that journalists weren't being journalists, they were just reading the campaign's talking points. And the point is made about journalism and any sense of responsibilty or integrity they may have, the Romney campaign bus just gave them the situation to frame it.

Oh, and Will McAvoy called the republicans "The American Taliban". He and his network are facing the consequences of that over reach. Of course Sorkin creates a liberal fantasy, and like The West Wing, he connects it to reality … for good or bad.

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/03/13 08:40 PM

Don't worry about explaining it to Dave.... if it deviates from history.. it's junk.

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/03/13 10:54 PM

Don't worry about explaining it to Dave.... if it deviates from history.. it's junk.

Thanks for the explanation

I have no problem with films dealing with fictional political figures.its when they interweave the story with actual people using video and such . Especially when the issues and people are still in the news.

The show is fiction as stated by the producers. But many viewers will not see it as exactly that, because the players are still in play.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that sees the difference

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/04/13 06:02 AM

Well.. the GOP is free to produce a show with a conservative slant....

And you are welcome for the explanation. Not that anyone needs it. You constantly comment on the fact that Hollywood takes license with the truth... and how it bothers you to no end.
So.. no.. I don't think anyone would expect you to actually like The Newsroom for the show that it is.

I guess I haven't followed the show that closely.. what "fictional political figures" are you referring to?

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/04/13 10:15 AM

This quote from the Salt Lake Tribune comes from a real Romney aide:

Quote:
“You all would have heard about that if it had happened” in the real campaign, says Ryan Williams, a Romney campaign spokesman who traveled with the former Massachusetts governor. The show “doesn’t seem to be very close to the truth,” he adds.

If there was space, Williams says, legitimate news outlets — even those who were super-critical — were welcomed aboard the campaign’s press bus or on the campaign planes. At one point, some reporters covering Romney had to take a separate press plane but that was only because so many journalists were traveling with the Republican candidate, Williams notes.

So you may be right when you say

Quote:
The show is fiction as stated by the producers. But many viewers will not see it as exactly that, because the players are still in play.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that sees the difference

Well I'm certainly glad Romney campaign people are speaking up against fictional characters! What is hilarious is that they're upset that no one ever got thrown off the bus and that they allowed critical legitimate reporters … But as I said earlier, the point was that the journalists were not doing their job as journalists, they were reading campaign talking points as reporting (and as I remember that is exactly what had been going on and the campaign & candidates utter evasiveness to specify any details or actual policy). The show is a critique about the media and the ethics and responsibity of the job, not politics. Perhaps Ryan Williams is also very pissed Will McAvoy called his team the American Taliban and is waiting for an apology. laugh

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/04/13 10:25 AM

?

Well, they do and it's fictional. . It's called the Repulican Convention. smile

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/04/13 10:32 AM

Back to the show. I, personally, can't get into the sexual gymnastics of the Newsroom characters. The whole bit about Maggie being on a YouTube video is pure high school.

Will and Mac either get it on or forget about it. I really don't care.

It might get more interesting when Maggie goes over seas.

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/04/13 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: MrB

?

Well, they do and it's fictional. . It's called the Repulican Convention. smile

Dave

...or FOX News (a.k.a. "FAUX Noise")

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/04/13 05:12 PM

Dave.. it's called a story arc..
It spans the season.. sometimes the whole show.

Seriously.. I don't know why you even watch tv. You continuously break everything down to it's driest, most basic element.. and then kick it to the curb.

As far as Will and Mac go..... have you never had a relationship where the sexual tension grows and grows till it's so thick you could cut it with a knife?

If they did it by the end of season 1 or at the beginning of season 2 you would be noting how that's not what happens in real life.... whistle

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/04/13 07:35 PM

Quote:

And what was with having the Indian/Pakistanian guy so obsessed with Bigfoot . How lame

Neal (Dev Patel) is one of my favorite characters! smile

The "Big Foot thing" is portraying his childlike
naive side to balance his technological genius,
also revealing the cultural disconnect... that
he believes he's stumbled upon some of secret
knowledge that evidently no one else is aware of.
He's all together clueless as to why everyone
else just rolls their eyes and walks away...at the
same time, it's setting-up further "discoveries"..
such as "The Occupy Wall Street Movement" that
everyone else is still totally unaware of..under the
assumption that it's yet another Conspiracy
bug-a-boo that Neil's chasing....[insert eye-roll]

BTW
I see The News as a sort of back-drop for the story
lines, rather than the reverse. It's a TV Show
...NOT a Documentary.

If you want "The REAL THING" watch C-SPAN...
I used to.. I couldn't handle it... it kept making
me want to chuck my TV out the freaking window!

Speaking of "Conspiracy Theories"... you know where
I got that horse-pucky about "Corporate Prisons"
and virtual "Slave Labor"? I watched them pass the
legislation gavel-to-gavel one morning on C-SPAN!

Waiting for the FOX or MSNBC Spin is watching the
day's going's on as regurgitated comentary.. you
looking for the really SCARY SHYTE, Watch C-SPAN! eek

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/04/13 08:39 PM

Neal is one of my favs also. Along with Sloan.

Dave

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/04/13 08:41 PM

From the comments here, it appears that The Newsroom will be very popular.

Dave
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/04/13 08:53 PM

Haven't seen it.

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/04/13 11:14 PM

it has it's moments.
Posted by: drjohn

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/05/13 07:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Haven't seen it.

Me neither. I suppose if I had cable television.... whistle

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/05/13 07:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Acumowchek
Haven't seen it.

The Newsroom -
Tea Party is the American Taliban

Keith Olbermann's
Special Comment On Health Care Reform

_

I MISS YOU KEITH! frown
Posted by: Acumowchek

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/05/13 09:27 AM

Exactly. I miss not being able to join the conversation at the water cooler, but on the other hand… NO CABLE! cool
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/05/13 02:39 PM

I do not watch The Newsroom or any other serialized soap on any cable, local, or satellite television station. Rather than invest the time in watching those, I'd rather read another book on my all too long list. I know there is not enough time left in my life to finish the list, but I plug along. There are some books I wish I could read again and see what new things I'd discover that I missed first time around.

I don't doubt these serialized TV shows are good entertainment, but it is just about available time and choices. I know I'd love a rollicking show leaning left, lots of sex, exaggerations about truths, etc. After all, I watched General Hospital for waaaaay too many years. wink Those shows are made to order for what the viewing public wants to see on the screen!

Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/05/13 03:53 PM

The same could be said about some books. wink

I find it funny now that I think about it. Wasting time watching a tv show or reading a book. I guess you could argue for both.

I love a good book and generally the book is always better than the movie version, but the movie version is only 2 hours long whereas a book can be days if not weeks.
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/06/13 09:45 PM

yeppers

Re: HBOs The Newsroom - 08/29/13 06:00 PM

Interesting how the last 3 episodes have been covering the use of saryn gas. It was us that had purportedly used in a rescue mission... but they later found out it was incorrect.
Just thought it interesting in light of the Syrian situation.