Google has a cloud drive as of today.

Posted by: Jim_

Google has a cloud drive as of today. - 04/25/12 11:26 AM

They offer 5G free space. Comparing Amazon (5G) MS SkyDrive (7G space) DropBox (2G) and Google (5G) to iCloud, iCloud is useless except for backing up iDevices and specific Apple files, Pages, Keynote etc. Hopefully they make it more than a castrated MobileMe someday.

So between the first 4 you can have 19G of free off site backup, pretty cool. Google will soon have iDevice support. Amazon is the only one that doesn't have it, yet. They have it for android but not apple devices. Amazon does offer a streaming player app for the iPhone but no file storage access yet.

Those are just 4 off the top of my head. I can't even keep up anymore.
Posted by: Lea

Re: Google has a cloud drive as of today. - 04/25/12 07:57 PM

LIttle Sister and I are going with DropBox. If it's good enough for TxDOT? I've already given it a whirl and it's gonna work just fine. We have 0 use for iCloud, but then that's just us.

Anyway, this news about Google's interest in the pie slice is making the rounds. Just read this over at Atlantic Wire ~

Should You Trust Storing Everything with Google Drive?

"When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content"[Google Drive policy thingie]

And later down, Google puts a nice little clause in there that says Google can uses [sic] your stuff for whatever it wants.

I used to love Google. I still would if it just did what it always did. Now daze, it makes me . . . uneasy?
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Google has a cloud drive as of today. - 04/25/12 10:20 PM

While the free Dropbox starts off at 2GB, most people up that amount in a matter of hours with the bonus space options. My free account is up to nearly 19GB. And it's so much easier to use, and integrates with hundreds of iOS and Mac OS apps.

Not to mention, I just don't trust Google.

Re: Google has a cloud drive as of today. - 04/25/12 10:38 PM

I did their 6 or 7 little hoop jumps when I joined and got a little extra space but other than inviting others to join how did you get that high with it?

BTW, your evernote pics aren't showing up, just a blue question mark. They will load if I open the pic in another tab but not in the forum posts.

Re: Google has a cloud drive as of today. - 04/26/12 06:17 AM

We're gonna go ahead and pay for the extra storage. We push a ton of stuff back and forth. What I like is that (I think?) I can work on a file in the DropBox folder on my Mac, and it auto-updates the file that's been uploaded? I don't know ~ Little Sister probably doesn't need to see our sausage in the making.

Yeah, Giz, you should fix the blue box thingie. Your contribution to the Grammer Thread? laugh

Re: Google has a cloud drive as of today. - 04/26/12 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Lea
I can work on a file in the DropBox folder on my Mac, and it auto-updates the file that's been uploaded?
You are correct oh Texas gal. It shows up automagically on all drop box computers/devices.

I don't know if the other services offer the same but it also has a restore function should you want to go back in time to a different version of the file or to recover a file accidentally deleted within the last 30 days.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/11

With the Pack Rat add on for Pro users it will never delete the changed/deleted files, and they don't count against your quota.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/113

Re: Google has a cloud drive as of today. - 04/26/12 10:45 AM

Yeah, I was really impressed with the features DropBox offers. I figured it was just flat storage, like MMe, so paying for the extra space is fine, I'm still getting lots more for my $ than with MMe.

So, I have a question, oh Ohio Tech Genius Type smile

I want Little Sister and I to use the same DBox. With MMe, I logged in with her username/PWord, we essentially shared it all. Can she just download DBox to her Mac, activate it with my (already set) username/PWord and then she's in and out at will?

She's does all the intellectual work, but I swear, if I can keep it KISS for her? Saves me humongous tons of aggravation.

TIA and, uh, if this gets moved? I'll find it laugh

LL

Re: Google has a cloud drive as of today. - 04/26/12 12:10 PM

I want Little Sister and I to use the same DBox. With MMe, I logged in with her username/PWord, we essentially shared it all. Can she just download DBox to her Mac, activate it with my (already set) username/PWord and then she's in and out at will?
That's exactly how it works. If she installs the DropBox app and uses the same log in info as you it will put a DropBox folder on her computer with all of the content that is in yours. DropBox is set to launch when the computer starts, that is the default and can be changed in DropBox preferences. I have mine on my desktop for easy access. DropBox by default puts it into your user's folder, but you can move it to where you want using the Advanced settings in DropBox preferences. It puts an icon in the menu bar as you probably know to access the website, Preferences, and other cool and groovy stuff.

Windows or Mac BTW.

I have clients that use the same log in info for multiple employee computers, this enables them to all have one shared folder automatically syncing on multiple computers. Changes appear almost instantly across devices and computers.

It works much faster than MM's idisk snail of a joke ever did. It's also accessible from your iPhone with the DropBox app. Certain docs like txt, rtf, MS Word or Excel files, jpg, png (screen shots), tiff, pdf, can be viewed natively on the iPhone. I use it if I need to make notes for a call for the day for example. I just make a quick Text Edit doc and drag it to the folder.

HTH smile

Re: Google has a cloud drive as of today. - 04/26/12 12:17 PM

TIA and, uh, if this gets moved? I'll find it laugh
LOL. Probably once it's not active anymore, but for now this is where the few that are left here go.

It's not exactly a rocket science following posts, is it? I was the thread starter though, remember? grin

Re: Google has a cloud drive as of today. - 04/27/12 01:43 PM

Done, done and done. And really happy we pulled the trigger. I'm impressed with ~

1) Speed

2) Intuitive attitude

3) Those small but very cool extras

4) Overall Experience = Very, Very Smooth

Went Pro for Pack Rat. Just wanted to thank you again. I mentioned TxDOT earlier ~ Used to be, all our projects were due on somebody's desk as hard copies. Two hard copies. Our stuff runs over 300 pages, fkn' average. I spent a small fkn' fortune on FedX, ink and paper. Then they went DBox, probably 4 years ago? It literally changed my professional life. I "drop" a PDF in the proj manager's box and we're good to bill. We still have to turn in 2 CDs of the finals, but duh . . .

OK, sorry. TMI. But I'm that pumped. Oh, did I mention? LIttle Sister got it in like less than 5 laugh That alone is a premium recommendation.

Thanks again, JIm. Your info made my decision ultra easier.

smile
LL

Re: Google has a cloud drive as of today. - 04/27/12 03:03 PM

Yeah, lots of convenience. cool stuff

No need to email or FTP files. If you have to make a change to the file it appears in the DropBox right away. No no need to worry if the other party is using the most recent file from their email. It keeps redundant outdated files off of the computer and less email clutter.

Glad to help my dear, anytime. Anything for the Texas MacBabe. This Yuengling's for you and Sis.

smile