Bye bye 'ittle Girl.

Posted by: Jim_

Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/10/12 06:08 PM

Had to euthanize the little black 23 Y.O. kitty this morning. 6 lbs of energy until two days ago, and then it was like flipping a switch, totally lethargic. Other than mostly deaf, thick old-kitty claws, and a bit of cataracts, she acted like a spry healthy little hellion with a great personality till Wednesday.

Final blood tests showed renal failure current and permanent, so the vet gave her subcutaneous fluids and a B12 shot to try and kick start the kidneys, but 24 hrs later she was worse and wouldn't even coo anymore when I petted her head.

We knew her kidneys were on the edge for a couple of years or so, but she had no obvious physical signs other than drinking a lot of water and vomiting water once in a while. There is usually weight loss but I weigh the kids regularly and she has been fine. Usually renal failure is long drawn out process for man or beast, so she was lucky. She kicked it hard for 23 years.

Gonna miss her. She was getting senile. LOL. Every night when I hit the hay she had to lay on my chest an inch from my face for a while. If I got out of bed for a minute and came back, it was rinse and repeat.

I didn't have her 23 years, she used to live in the house behind us, indoor/outdoor cat, but the white trash didn't take care of her, left her outside in sub freezing weather, hot days without water etc, so she moved in with us about 8 years ago, a few years after we moved here. We started letting her in when she wanted and eventually she made us her home. She's been an indoor kitty for the last three years though since I realized that she couldn't hear. The white trash never even mentioned that she was missing.

That's two in two months, the other one was a 17 Y.O. tortoise shell, but we knew that her kidneys were going bad for a year or so by the signs, losing weight fast, drinking a lot, so she was no surprise. She was also mostly deaf her last 3 years, and blind the last 2, but none of that mattered, she knew where her litter box was and where the food was, and still loved to be petted, amazing resilience animals have and how they adapt. She was one we took in about 8 years ago, a friend of Lora's passed away so we took the kitty.

Anyway, this shot's for them. No matter how hard I try and how many I've been through it I still cry like a baby when they put the needle in.

Posted by: Lea

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/10/12 06:20 PM

They lay a love in our hearts that's beyond special, and really? Pretty close to better than the ways we find to love each other.

You know, Jim, that I do understand.

And you also know that you did right by her.

God bless that we could do right by each other, the way we do them. Doesn't help the hurt, but deep from this Heart in Texas ~

I wish I didn't know. Love you, Darlin'.

LL

Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/10/12 06:21 PM

So sorry to hear that. It took my wife 5 years before she would even consider having another cat in the house after we had the last one put down. Thankfully, Caliwag is a constant comedy in action.

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/10/12 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Lea
They lay a love in our hearts that's beyond special, and really? Pretty close to better than the ways we find to love each other.
It's unconditional. I think of the times I needed to sleep and pushed her off, but then I also think of the many more times I didn't because I knew it wasn't forever.

It was time for her. Realizing that you are just keeping them alive for you and not them is tough at first, but afterwards it feels okay, really. I've pushed it too long before and that feels much worse when it's all said and done.

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/10/12 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
So sorry to hear that. It took my wife 5 years before she would even consider having another cat in the house after we had the last one put down.
Considering she's an RN that's something, you'd figure she'd be used to the loss. Kind woman.
Quote:
Thankfully, Caliwag is a constant comedy in action.
That's good. I've found they really don't change much over the years. Once a little terror always one. smile
Posted by: MrB

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/10/12 07:21 PM

Sorry for your loss. She had lived a long life and had a home that loved her.

Dave
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/10/12 08:02 PM

That is so sad and tough on you, I bet. I'm so sorry for the loss and emptiness you must feel now.

Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/11/12 12:18 AM

Sorry to hear, it is never cool to lose them, even though it is for the better of them. It still sucks anyway. Like losing a family member, well, they are exactly that.

Our oldest of the three is now 15 and still in good shape, climbs and gets on my lap or wherever she thinks she'll fit in often at the most unsuitable occasions, like when I'm focused on something really, really important like coding up a website or checking out facebook. Or when I'm just about to stand up and do something else.
Posted by: steveg

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/11/12 03:53 AM

Damn, Dude. So sorry to hear that. Been there myself too many times, and I know the pain and that feeling that something's missing. But 23 years! That's a long life for a kitty-cat and I'm sure the years she spent with you were the best ones.

Alava Shalom. frown
Posted by: SleeveTugger

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/11/12 04:17 AM

I know what you're feeling, been there.
Rest assured you did the right thing. Lucky cat that had you as a provider. You care.

*HUGE HUGS*
Posted by: Stumpy1

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/11/12 04:30 AM

Sorry for your loss, Reboot.

23 is a long time for a kitty to live. Sounds like she had a good life with you.
Posted by: zwei

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/11/12 12:23 PM

Sorry to hear that Reboot.

I didn't even know cats could live that long! Sounds like she had some good years with you.
Posted by: DLC

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/11/12 02:25 PM

Reboot, so sorry to hear the news. Take a look at Smokey, our 20+ yr old cat I had to put down last March 31st. I know your pain, they can never be replaced. I swear they're spitting images.
Smokey did have a little more orange under her right cheek. Smokey's orange on the back doesn't show up that well here- the lighting is different. But I swear when I looked at yours, it was Smokey2 or visa versa.

She was very lucky to find you and dump previous her trash owners.
Our sincere condolences...
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/12/12 07:14 PM

Just read about this at the other place, Reboot, and had to come to say how sorry I am.

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/14/12 10:08 PM

Thx all, been busy.

It's funny how the whole dynamics of the "animal kingdom" changes when one goes. We kept the two above isolated in a separate room most of the time, to keep the deaf-blind one from being harassed, and the little black one got along her, well they ignored each other anyway. Now that the room is open all the time it's been tough getting sleep with the territorial wars going on. laugh

Re: Bye bye 'ittle Girl. - 02/14/12 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: MicMeister
Our oldest of the three is now 15 and still in good shape, climbs and gets on my lap or wherever she thinks she'll fit in often at the most unsuitable occasions, like when I'm focused on something really, really important like coding up a website or checking out facebook. Or when I'm just about to stand up and do something else.
That's the truth. When I get on the phone for any extended time one or more will always come and hang around in inconvenient spots, they think you're talking to them or something.