speedtest.net

Posted by: KateSorensen

speedtest.net - 01/16/12 12:43 PM

Back in November Comcast did a lot of work to improve my connection and speed. They screwed things up for several days so gave me a "free" three months burst speed gift. Certainly does burst !!!!!!!!!!!!

I just hope when it ends next month I don't feel like I am in a rowboat with the anchor out on the bottom. Nice while it is lasting though.

Posted by: steveg

Re: speedtest.net - 01/16/12 12:54 PM

Impressive upload speed! I've got Roadrunner Turbo and consistently have d/l speeds btwn the mid-20s and low 30s. Can't get much past 1mb upload though. Next month I may upgrade to broadband extreme, which promises 30mb d/l.

Funny thing is that Turbo is advertised as up to 15mb d/l, and I'm getting nearly double that. So should I expect 50-60mb d/l from Extreme? shocked

Re: speedtest.net - 01/16/12 01:01 PM

Are you saying [in another thread] your YOUNGEST daughter will soon turn 19 years old? Unbelievable. You ARE getting old. ;-)

[I wanted to ask in that thread but thought I'd get in trouble for hijacking. This MY thread and I can hijackit!

smile

Re: speedtest.net - 01/16/12 01:35 PM

Kate, you're only as old as you feel — which would make me... ohhhhh, I's guess a/b 108! shocked laugh
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: speedtest.net - 01/16/12 01:37 PM

I'm satisfied with my ~10Mb/s down and ~1Mb/s up. It stays fairly consistent, at least.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: speedtest.net - 01/16/12 01:37 PM

I'm fine with my dial up. I see no need to be speeding around throwing data down the tubes like so much garbage. I just plan my uploads better and start them the week before.

Or use my iPhone...

grin wink

Re: speedtest.net - 01/16/12 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
I'm fine with my dial up. I see no need to be speeding around throwing data down the tubes like so much garbage. I just plan my uploads better and start them the week before.

Or use my iPhone...

grin wink

grin wink

Posted by: Nana

Re: speedtest.net - 01/16/12 05:44 PM

Is this good?

Verizon Fios is my isp.

According to that speed site, I got an A (85%) national grade average.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: speedtest.net - 01/16/12 07:20 PM

Quote:
I just hope when it ends next month I don't feel like I am in a rowboat with the anchor out on the bottom. Nice while it is lasting though.
For just web surfing and email both speeds are way more than you need. In other words, don't fret when they drop the speed. You won't even notice it. If you were running a website from your home, doing serious online gaming, or had a few family members downloading, surfing, streaming video and audio etc all at once, those speeds would be needed. For one user anything over 6Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up won't be noticed except for example downloading huge updates.

31Mb/s means you can download a 4M file in a second give or take a few milliseconds. This page may take 350k max (1/3 of a M) to download. So in other words you can download about 12 pages like this in a second. Fast enough? grin

Upload speeds don't matter unless you are sending a lot of big files out. At your current upload speed you could upload a 3M file in about 5 seconds.

The ping is a biggy in gaming, but for web surfing no. If your click on a link takes 45ms instead of 15ms to reach it's target, I doubt you'll be able to sense the 30 one thousandths of the second. smirk

Again, you ask for the time and I tell how to make a clock. laugh

Re: speedtest.net - 01/16/12 07:34 PM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Impressive upload speed! I've got Roadrunner Turbo and consistently have d/l speeds btwn the mid-20s and low 30s. Can't get much past 1mb upload though. Next month I may upgrade to broadband extreme, which promises 30mb d/l.
Oy, I told you you're splitting hairs with the download speeds. smirk

With the files you transfer around to satisfy the impatience you need a faster u/l speed, but every ISP I know of requires a small busine$$ account for that, most are 5Mb/s max. To get up to the really fast 10Mb/s+ u/l stuff you have to go $Enterprise$. I don't know of any ISP that has above 1Mb/s for residential.

Re: speedtest.net - 01/16/12 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Nana

Is this good?

Verizon Fios is my isp.

According to that speed site, I got an A (85%) national grade average.

Extremely good, Nana. Like Reboot sez, the upload speed doesn't need to be greater than what you have unless you're uploading a lot of files, like for a business, etc. Last September before I broke down for a week I was getting this:

Many years ago before we almost all got on broad band hispeed internet, we tried to be considerate with the size of pictures etc. we posted in the forum so the poor dudes still using dialup wouldn't be left out of the fun! smile.

Reboot:
What you sed is true. I probably won't miss the speed. Everything you said sounded reasonable and true.

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 03:12 AM

Quote:
I don't know of any ISP that has above 1Mb/s for residential.

Tell that to Time-Warner. grin

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: steveg
Quote:
I don't know of any ISP that has above 1Mb/s for residential.
Tell that to Time-Warner. grin
I meant u/l speed. Mine sometimes gets close to 1.5 but usually it's 1.

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 03:25 AM

Dial up? shocked In the 21st C?

Quote:
If ya wanna be an anachronistic dude.. go for it.

Ok, I couldn't resist that one — and you left yourself wide open for it. grin

¡INCOMIIIIIIING! eek

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 04:22 AM

Wooosh. My post was meant to be a total spin on that. Here.. have some of my coffee!

Actually, I'm in Miami with a paltry 18 down.

Edit: Actually it seems they have sped it up a bit...

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 05:40 AM

Oh fine... Offside wink. Five yard penalty. >:p

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 06:50 AM

2.8 up speed? Is that at work or home?

I can't keep up anymore. crazy

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 11:10 AM

Home.
ATT U-Verse
We're sitting right here on the Miami backbone I think.....

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 03:00 PM

Home.
ATT U-Verse
We're sitting right here on the Miami backbone I think.....
Like I said, can't keep up. 2.8 is a great upload speed, we can't get that here.
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 03:21 PM

Just plugged in my 14.4 modem.... ROXORZ!!!

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 04:26 PM

I don't think anyone expects you to remember members up/down net speeds...much less if it's their home or work.
But, hey, thanks for trying!

Now... do you remember where I put my 9 volt batteries??

(heheheeuhhh huhh..hehe.. he said remember members...)

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 04:32 PM

I don't think anyone expects you to remember members up/down net speeds...much less if it's their home or work.
LOL, I don't care about you all that much, and there's only so many brain cells left. laugh

I meant I can't keep up with the changing technologies. It makes the kid's head spin. crazy

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
LOL, I don't care about you all that much, and there's only so many brain cells left. laugh

I meant I can't keep up with the changing technologies. It makes the kid's head spin. crazy

Then I won't even mention IPv6. laugh
Posted by: Phosphor

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 05:27 PM

IPv8.

But that's only because I can't buy tomato juice by the case anymore around here.

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Phosphor
IPv8

LOL!!!!
Posted by: six_of_one

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 05:33 PM

Just to switch things ups bit -- I'm in NYC for the week and surfing using a Samsung 4GLTE hotspot through Verizon:

When it works, it works great ...

... when it works ;-)

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Then I won't even mention IPv6. laugh
grin I've been checking on that. I'm not too bad at remembering the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx format of IPv4 for addresses that I use on regular basis, but the format for IPv6 if I understand it correctly is twice that, 8 groups of xxx instead of 4.

From what I've read the advantages are many, mainly the number of IP addresses available. It also will allow for faster routing capabilities in the future, but over half of that is too far over my head to be able to explain intelligently. Still trying to wrap my head around what it will do. crazy

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 05:52 PM

I just wondered what time it was. . .

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: KateSorensen

Kate! You crack me up! laugh laugh laugh

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 06:14 PM

LOL. Love me or leave me. laugh

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot

LOL. Love me or leave me. laugh

Wooosh!

/Off in the distance a door slowly bangs shut....

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 06:26 PM

Wooosh!

Git outta heah!

wink

Re: speedtest.net - 01/17/12 06:48 PM

Wooosh!

It's the old 'Don't let hit ya' where etc etc etc.' wink