White squirrels - 12/17/11 01:22 PM

Marionville, Missouri's claim to fame.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/vide...rrel_white.html
Posted by: carp

Re: White squirrels - 12/17/11 02:39 PM

Just get a shotgun - don't understand the problem laugh
Posted by: MrB

Re: White squirrels - 12/17/11 03:25 PM

I like squirrels. I find them interesting to watch. But that said they can be a nuisance . My oldest brother wen on a war against them before hs death in 2004 after he noticed that squirrels had got into his motor home and eaten the insulation from the wiring . Causing lots of damage.

So he started trapping the fuzzy tailed rats. Very simply he took common rabbit traps, put a small half empty jar of peanut butter in te trap. The next day a squirrel. Helen took the trap and squirrel, put an old blanket over it with one end of a hose underthe blanket and the other end attached to the tail end of hs exhaust pipef his town car. An hour later he had fox food. He took the carcass out in the alley where a red fox frequented.

Everyone benefited . Well, except the fuzzy tailed rodent.

Also squirrel meat is quite tasty. Also makes tasty gravey. Making me Hungury .

Dave

Re: White squirrels - 12/17/11 03:27 PM

Been calling squirrels, " fuzzy tailed rats" but I guess they are more related to beaver. No problem as I like fuzzy tailed beaver also.

Dave
Posted by: Nana

Re: White squirrels - 12/18/11 08:41 AM

Thanks for sharing. I also thought those white squirrels were albinos until I too noticed the black eyes.
I emailed the video to my father. Growing up my parents kept a garden in the backyard. The squirrels were always eating the corn & peppers. So my father would set traps, bring to the trapped squirrels into our utility room, drown them then buried them in the garden as fertilizer. crazy
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: White squirrels - 12/18/11 09:20 AM

What warm and fuzzy stories you both tell.. thanks.

I'm off to find a cap made from squirrel now.....
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: White squirrels - 12/18/11 03:02 PM

I have plenty of squirrels in my back yard. You're welcome to come get as many as you want.
Posted by: Nana

Re: White squirrels - 12/18/11 03:14 PM

Squirrel stew with rice is good when the temps outside get below 30 degrees. Sticks right to ya. laugh
Posted by: DLC

Re: White squirrels - 12/18/11 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: MrB
No problem as I like fuzzy tailed beaver also.
Dave

LOL !!! laugh
Posted by: Jim_

Re: White squirrels - 12/18/11 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: DLC
Dave

LOL !!! laugh
So we're having that conversation again. grin I like the landing strip.

Re: White squirrels - 12/18/11 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Originally Posted By: DLC
Dave

LOL !!! laugh
So we're having that conversation again. grin I like the landing strip.

Hey I thought we were talking squirrels, not airplanes. smirk

Dave
Posted by: Jashue

Re: White squirrels - 12/19/11 07:59 AM

Why kill 'em? If you're going to take the trouble to trap them alive, then why don't you just set 'em free out in the country? All this talk of drowning and asphyxiation via carbon monoxide seems kinda barbaric when more humane options exist.
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: White squirrels - 12/19/11 08:14 AM

Thank you... I agree. Even if they are rodents or close to it.

Re: White squirrels - 12/19/11 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Jashue
Why kill 'em? If you're going to take the trouble to trap them alive, then why don't you just set 'em free out in the country? All this talk of drowning and asphyxiation via carbon monoxide seems kinda barbaric when more humane options exist.
I agree. Also when they kill them new ones will just migrate in when there is a vacancy. There's too many out there for one person to make any difference at all, except to satisfy their anger, at the cost of suffering for a small creature.

I could never kill them like that. Watching a small life struggling for air for so long is barbaric.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: White squirrels - 12/19/11 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Originally Posted By: Jashue
I agree. Also when they kill them new ones will just migrate in when there is a vacancy. There's too many out there for one person to make any difference at all, except to satisfy their anger, at the cost of suffering for a small creature.

I could never kill them like that. Watching a small life struggling for air for so long is barbaric.
Oh, I wouldn't harm them. I feed them along with the birds at the bird (squirrel) feeder. laugh

Re: White squirrels - 12/19/11 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Oh, I wouldn't harm them. I feed them along with the birds at the bird (squirrel) feeder. laugh
I do too. I always throw out peanuts, but when mixed nuts go on sale after the holidays I buy up the $1 a baggers. When they get a Brazil nut they go ape-****. grin

It's hard for them to find food once the snow gets on the ground or when it gets frozen solid they can't dig for them, but you wouldn't know anything about that. :-P