House hunting, job hunting

Posted by: padmavyuha

House hunting, job hunting - 10/03/10 03:47 PM

Yes, in that order... now actively looking for somewhere to rent on my own (which is going to put my outgoings up a lot!), and looking for a job to pay for that. Google Maps is bloody useful when it comes to looking at properties. I found one place that's an end-of-terrace (so I can drum without bugging the neighbours) but it's next to a garage (place where they mend cars) - but the garage is sufficiently far back from the house that it wouldn't bother me.
Posted by: carp

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/03/10 03:58 PM

I suggest get the job first - then house hunt.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/03/10 04:04 PM

I'll second that!

I'm looking for a second part-time job these days, since full-time jobs are virtually non-existent.

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/03/10 04:08 PM

No option, I have to move pretty promptly. Got financial resources to do this, but need work as soon as I can find it. But the priority is moving.

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/03/10 04:16 PM

The question is

Can your new job cover the rental? ?

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/03/10 11:26 PM

That's certainly one of the questions :-]

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 02:25 AM

Hmm, this may be decided for me - things have tightened up over here since I last looked for rented accommodation, and now it's very hard to rent a property unless you're in full-time employment (even if you have independent funds) because many home owners are paying mortgages that require tenants to be working.

So job first, after all. Two applications sent off by 7 this morning, since I'm not really sleeping much anyway!
Posted by: musicalmarv7

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 05:11 AM

Are the rents expensive in England for a studio apartment in London? He is right the job comes first before the house.

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 05:13 AM

You are knowledgeable in computers. What about working for an Apple Reseller?

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 07:44 AM

Hadn't even thought of that - I have no formal IT training, but I have 25 years of doing it anyway, and ending up "the bloke in the office who knows the most" - and 10 years of being that on macs too.

I've just applied to the Apple Store in Norwich as a Genius - who knows? I look good in a dorky black teeshirt.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 01:30 PM

Dorky? We Are Offended!

wink

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 02:49 PM

Good luck on the Apple job - and let us know how much discount we can get -via- you laugh

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 02:56 PM

Huh - any employee discount I might get would just make the products cost me the same as they cost you, since we pay a premium for being European, e.g. MBP from $1199 in the US, costs from 999 in the UK = $1580. Then there's shipping and import duty!

Actually, I just want a job I feel happy to do, and this would be okay, I like using my knowledge and experience to help people out; getting paid to solve people's problems is very satisfying. Of course, I've currently no idea how much the job pays, since the Apple site doesn't give salaries, which is interesting in itself.

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 03:00 PM

Here on this side of the pond, they hire part-time entry level.

cry

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 03:01 PM

I know I was kidding

since the Apple site doesn't give salaries

Couple good reasons.

1 -I am sure it not only varies from state to state but country to country as well.
2 - I am sure it varies with experience.

So Apple don't wanna be lock in by broadcasting salaries online.

If they call you for an Interview thats the time to ask whats the salary scale/range.

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 03:23 PM

Personal experience: If you're over 20, you're SOL.

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 03:33 PM

The age range of staff over here is quite wide, from eyeball evidence. And I look younger than I am!

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/04/10 04:04 PM

I suspect for the Genius bar - age would be 18 to 26 <- college students who are going in for IT degrees. Younger then that would be for Sales.

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/05/10 12:42 AM

Like I say, over here, there are plenty of people clearly in their 40's working in the stores, both on sales and on the bar. Which is why I've bothered applying - I wouldn't be going for a waitressing job, for example!

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/05/10 04:23 AM

I wish you good luck in finding any job that is out there.

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/05/10 04:26 AM

That is sheer age discrimination.When I was living in the US I met a woman who was 85 years in Phoenix working for McDonald greeting people as they came in.I thought age discrimination was illegal in the states?
Posted by: trey

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/05/10 04:50 AM

The Apple Stores here in NYC have people of all ages working behind the bar.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/05/10 05:18 AM

I got Jerry Garcia working behind the bar here in Boston.

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/06/10 04:07 AM

You are kidding right?
Posted by: polymerase

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/06/10 06:44 AM

Originally Posted By: jerryfox3
You are kidding right?
No, it's really Jerry Garcia. I wish he would keep his lunch out of his beard and he keeps asking me if I know of anyone needing a band for a Bar Mitzvah.

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/06/10 09:22 AM

Just did an unexpected day's work in a wholefood warehouse - moved around a hell of a lot of bottles of oil!
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: House hunting, job hunting - 10/06/10 10:34 AM

I knew that hub of the universe, but didn't realize it's also its heaven. So was Jerry sporting his wings or was he incog?